* Show-and-tell: equation annotation for MathJax
@ 2023-11-13 14:16 Guillaume Dehaene
       [not found] ` <CAKOoOVVRAzpb7BDJXzR7NG8VUMASoXzBvFqJe-gAGpxiuMAwrw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Guillaume Dehaene @ 2023-11-13 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello everyone,

I've done some work on building an equation annotation tool for MathJax.
My final objective is to build a pandoc / quarto lua filter to support a
markdown to HTML pipeline.

I've finished a POC in HTML + CSS + JS
View the poc here
<https://guillaumedehaene.github.io/mathjax_equation_annotation/equation_annotation.html>
The source code is here
<https://github.com/GuillaumeDehaene/mathjax_equation_annotation>

I'm overall happy with its current state, even though it is far from
perfect.
In particular, I'm worried that my hacks of the MathJax DOM elements could
break things: I'll see if I can get some feedback from that project.

I'd be very happy to get feedback on it, here or by direct email.

Best
Guillaume

* Re: Show-and-tell: equation annotation for MathJax
       [not found] ` <CAKOoOVVRAzpb7BDJXzR7NG8VUMASoXzBvFqJe-gAGpxiuMAwrw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-11-13 16:32   ` Gwern Branwen
       [not found]     ` <CAMwO0gzAOVy1QkYuR1MRwnGix+KsJJKfSMdFQka97jTUabQLQg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gwern Branwen @ 2023-11-13 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So this does not let you annotate individual elements of the equation to
provide popups/links or color them, but is only whole-equation level and
basically a way to a margin-note/sidenote that aligns nicely with the
equation?

--
gwern
https://gwern.net <https://www.gwern.net>

@ 2023-11-14  8:27       ` Guillaume Dehaene
       [not found]         ` <CAKOoOVUVuWVjcX7UkvgJTCErekjDarzFCeSRU7_=ZyNNqgCVUA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Guillaume Dehaene @ 2023-11-14  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, that's correct. This is a smart-margin feature.

It wouldn't be too hard technically and probably desirable to annotate
individual elements of an equation block
(for example, consider highlighting a term being moved from one side of the
equal side to the other in two successive equations)
However, I've run into two design / UX issues when considering this case:
- in the final HTML, how would the user interact with the annotation:
  - to see that an element is annotated (needs to work with nested
annotations, with multiple annotations, etc)
  - to see which elements are concerned by the currently-displayed
annotation (without interfering with the "is annotated" styling of the
other elements of the equation block)
  etc
- how would the writer specify the annotation, in a way that isn't too
disruptive of their normal workflow?
  - this is the bigger issue for me. without a rich-text editor which
supports highlighting of individual math elements, I don't know how to
handle this

even If I had a great answer, there remains the issue of hacking it inside
of MathJax.
At this point, it might be better to actually fork their code, instead of
writing something a posteriori

I'd love to have it as a feature someday, but it's in the distant future.

@ 2023-11-23  5:03           ` Hypatia
       [not found]             ` <4704092c-08bc-4755-a676-2f403166a3e3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hypatia @ 2023-11-23  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I just asked about a similar thing:
https://github.com/quarto-dev/quarto-cli/discussions/7679.

I'm going to see if you can hack up something based on your code. Thanks a
lot!

@ 2023-11-23  5:04               ` Hypatia
       [not found]                 ` <c0cc24db-dcf7-4b6d-8d4f-a15a27fa2f82n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hypatia @ 2023-11-23  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

*I can

Sorry for the misleading typo... I didn't mean you to do that... lol

@ 2023-11-23  8:41                   ` Hypatia
       [not found]                     ` <57a7749f-72bf-4d76-9422-296e57e80e42n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hypatia @ 2023-11-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss