* Binary version of native AST instead of JSON
@ 2020-11-24 13:16 Ivan Kochurkin
       [not found] ` <1eb0d4b6-0500-4cf2-a3d0-d5442bb31afan-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Kochurkin @ 2020-11-24 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Maybe it makes sense to use Protobuf
<https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers>or MessagePack
<https://msgpack.org/>format.

It can be important in cases where performance is critical.

* Re: Binary version of native AST instead of JSON
       [not found] ` <1eb0d4b6-0500-4cf2-a3d0-d5442bb31afan-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-11-24 18:07   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m25z5ubpcq.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kochurkin, pandoc-discuss

Ivan Kochurkin <ivan.kochurkin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Maybe it makes sense to use Protobuf
> <https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers>or MessagePack
> <https://msgpack.org/>format.
>
> It can be important in cases where performance is critical.

We could do this, but my guess is that it's not worth the
effort. The time it takes to serialize/deserialize JSON is
generally dwarfed by the other parts of the pandoc pipeline
(especially parsing).

Note that if performance is an issue, lua filters (which
avoid the JSON intermediate) will generally be quite a bit
faster than regular filters.

@ 2020-11-24 19:24       ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]         ` <CALu=v3LKt0aNX=8_SUWPsHorv1jJv2B1z9w2_qWgOHuULJA=ow-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-11-24 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Ivan Kochurkin

A binary serialization of the AST would only really be useful in the
context of storing it away for some reason - and you'd be better served
saving something like (compressed) pandoc markdown instead.

Also, be aware that protobuf and messagepack are both proprietary
specifications.  If you are looking for an open standard in this area, try
CBOR (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7049).

Leonard

@ 2020-11-24 19:52           ` Ivan Kochurkin
       [not found]             ` <640f505c-39a8-4d2e-92e8-6d485b2cf41en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Kochurkin @ 2020-11-24 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Where did you find information about proprietary? Wikipedia says it's
licensed under Apache <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MessagePack>, Protobuf
is licensed under BSD <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_Buffers>.

вторник, 24 ноября 2020 г. в 22:24:27 UTC+3, Leonard Rosenthol:

@ 2020-11-24 19:57               ` Leonard Rosenthol
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-11-24 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw