* Retaining headings when converting to PDF
@ 2020-08-23 14:06 Jim
       [not found] ` <0eff3ef9-cd3d-4154-8dfe-976238704547n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jim @ 2020-08-23 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm producing a series of PDFs that are going to be read with a
screenreader. The screenreader lets the user skip through a document by
jumping to the next header. I've created documents in both Word and
Markdown that include headers, but when I use pandoc to convert these
documents to PDFs the headers are not included. The text that is defined as
a header has a different visual style, but it isn't a header from the point
of view of the screenreader.

I am able to produce a PDF with headers if I "Save As" from word and then
create a PDF using Microsoft's own PDF creation tools. I'd really like to
use pandoc for this, though, as it would offer me a ton more flexibility.

Is there a particular command I need to use in order for pandoc to retain
headers when creating a PDF?

* Re: Retaining headings when converting to PDF
       [not found] ` <0eff3ef9-cd3d-4154-8dfe-976238704547n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-23 15:36   ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]     ` <CALu=v3JHcqWFaAmjTMds=3kZ4tEPktwpikG-HeoqZqX8c1tR9g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-08-23 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That is because the current PDF creation processes from Pandoc (either via
TeX or HTML) cannot produce a proper Tagged PDF, that is required for
screen reader integration.

Your current best bets are to produce the PDF from Word/DocX using either
MSWord or LibreOffice, with the option to create Accessible/Tagged PDF
turned on or to produce ICML with Pandoc and use Adobe InDesign to produce
the Tagged PDF.

I am currently producing Tagged PDFs from Markdown through both of these
paths and they each have their own pros and cons...

Future looking, Adobe is actively working with (and funding!) work in the
TeX community produce Tagged PDFs - its a ways off, but it will happen.

And Google just announced that Chrome (and one would assume CEF) can now
produce Tagged PDFs (https://9to5google.com/2020/07/29/chrome-tagged-pdf/),
so perhaps we'll find an HTML-based path to get there soon as well.

Leonard

@ 2020-08-23 15:51       ` Håkon Wium Lie
       [not found]         ` <24386.36964.121997.392581-4mDQ13Tdud8Jw5R7aSpS0dP8p4LwMBBS@public.gmane.org>
From: Håkon Wium Lie @ 2020-08-23 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Also, Prince will happily create tagged PDF from HTML.

   http://www.princexml.com

(I'm on the board of YesLogic, the company behind Prince)

Håkon Wium Lie     haakon-EO96REbE7qRuMpJDpNschA@public.gmane.org    www.wiumlie.no/en

@ 2020-08-23 17:26           ` mb21
       [not found]             ` <f6e14085-7e59-4772-aa8e-f8928661bfb7n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2020-08-23 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

There is also a corresponding pandoc github issue, where people also report
success with ConTeXt:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5409#issuecomment-678782766

@ 2020-08-23 17:35               ` James Benstead
       [not found]                 ` <CANUYFegTjwmiewYk1TT6t=2FB6xbve2WBWLLxZGckyhRnCq3gg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: James Benstead @ 2020-08-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you all, that's very helpful.

mb21: thank you for directing me to the github issue. I'd actually found
that independently, and it led me to try using ConTeXt. As you can see from
my comments at the bottom of the issue, while ConTeXt does add in some
headers, it doesn't allow for any hierarchical depth: i.e., when it
produces a PDF it flattens all headers to level 1.

Word seems like the best bet for now, so I'll keep using that. I'll keep an
eye on this, though, as it would be great to be able to create tagged PDFs
from the command line, based on Markdown files.

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

@ 2020-08-24  0:57                   ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]                     ` <CALu=v3JNcjW3O5va0K1duRzs=gd_FxAyooTzorErBpwT88cbcw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-08-24  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can create them on the command line using Word, on either Mac or
Windows (using the MSOffice) - or Mac, Win or Linux using LibreOffice.
Requires a second command, to go Word->PDF but still easy enough.

Hakon - yes, thanks for the reminder.

@ 2020-08-25 12:35                       ` James Benstead
       [not found]                         ` <CANUYFeiNKVSnXD6JUUSx=UiWbrCzep=Dgfb-12KrZHz7eaZ_Ew-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: James Benstead @ 2020-08-25 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That's useful to know. I've spent some time trying to find the commands,
but all I can find on the Word side is a command-line tool called docx2pdf.
Is that the right thing to use? With LibreOffice, it seems to be a matter
of using a variation on soffice --convert-to?

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

@ 2020-08-25 12:48                           ` Leonard Rosenthol
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-08-25 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)