* Google Summer of Code 2015
@ 2015-01-16  2:36 Raniere Silva
       [not found] ` <20150116023632.GZ19197-j/q8TITqDDESy/uc2pLa89BPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Raniere Silva @ 2015-01-16  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all,

I became a heavy user of Pandoc when one project that I contribute, Software
Carpentry, starting using it at their software stack and since them I report a
few bugs to Pandoc.

I know that John already published a suggestion for Google Summer of Code,
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1852, but I want to ask for tips of how
learn Haskell and starting contributing to Pandoc so that I can apply for Google
Summer of Code.

Thanks in advance,
Raniere

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
       [not found] ` <20150116023632.GZ19197-j/q8TITqDDESy/uc2pLa89BPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-01-16  2:58   ` Matthew Pickering
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-01-16  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Raniere,

Pandoc is a great first project to get your hands dirty with Haskell.
The structure is very simple and doesn't use very many language
extensions.

This is one of the most commonly referred to tutorials:
https://github.com/bitemyapp/learnhaskell

It eventually boils down to recommending this course:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~cis194/spring13/index.html

Having looked at the syllabus, it seems that after understanding
everything there it should be possible to understand most of pandoc's
code.

There are lots of open issues on the issue tracker. I've tried to tag
them all appropriately; you can read more about the classification
here.

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Of course, any questions, feel free to ping me or post on the mailing list.

Matt

       [not found]                 ` <20150222070657.GB42783-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-23 22:38                   ` Matthew Pickering
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-02-23 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for your feedback John.

I think it's an interesting, attainable project so hopefully someone picks
it up.

       [not found]             ` <CA+u6gbw6_Z83CujqoKV36gxnr05R96f-yg51+S-im21sEY8T7g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-22  7:06               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20150222070657.GB42783-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-02-22  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [Feb 22 15 14:12 ]:
>On 22 February 2015 at 10:27, John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> +++ John MacFarlane [Feb 21 15 15:15 ]:
>>>
>>> +++ Matthew Pickering [Feb 20 15 21:45 ]:

>>> It's a good proposal.  Some further motivation:  pandoc's current
>>> Markdown parser is not very efficient.  It even goes exponential on some
>>> inputs, which is not good for web use.
>>>
>>> I've already developed algorithms for parsing CommonMark efficiently,
>>> without backtracking.  They are so much more efficient than what pandoc
>>> currently does that even the JavaScript implementation of commonmark is
>>> 3-4 times faster than pandoc, and the C implementation is 30-40 times
>>> faster.
>>>
>>> So I'd hope for a 10X speedup with a rewrite.
>>

>> Further thoughts on this.
>>
>> The best GSOC projects benefit the whole community (infrastructure).
>>
>> So, it might make more sense to write a standalone CommonMark parser
>> library with a liberal (BSD) license, that could be used in other
>> Haskell projects (e.g., potentially, in some future version of Haddock).
>>
>> If this is made extensible, pandoc could simply use this library.
>> But the library would also be available for other purposes.
>>
>> Pandoc itself won't ever be relicensed.  But I think it would be a good
>> idea, if contributors will agree, to dual license pandoc-types BSD3/GPL.
>> (There are only a few commits by people other than me, so this is
>> feasible.)
>
>If pandoc-types is licensed BSD3, is there any real need for it to
>also be licensed GPL (especially since Cabal doesn't really understand
>dual-licensing)?

Probably not.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
       [not found]         ` <20150221232739.GA42324-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-22  3:12           ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]             ` <CA+u6gbw6_Z83CujqoKV36gxnr05R96f-yg51+S-im21sEY8T7g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2015-02-22  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 22 February 2015 at 10:27, John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> +++ John MacFarlane [Feb 21 15 15:15 ]:
>>
>> +++ Matthew Pickering [Feb 20 15 21:45 ]:
>>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I have created a ticket on the Haskell.org GSoC idea list for one of the
>>> ideas which John suggested[1] would be suitable. It is important that
>>> that
>>> projects are fairly freestanding (not requiring intimate knowledge of the
>>> architecture) and are selected based on utility to the Haskell community
>>> as
>>> a whole.
>>>
>>> If anyone has any comments, feel free to edit the proposal or reply here
>>> and I will make the changes.
>>>
>>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1660#ticket
>>

>> It's a good proposal.  Some further motivation:  pandoc's current
>> Markdown parser is not very efficient.  It even goes exponential on some
>> inputs, which is not good for web use.
>>
>> I've already developed algorithms for parsing CommonMark efficiently,
>> without backtracking.  They are so much more efficient than what pandoc
>> currently does that even the JavaScript implementation of commonmark is
>> 3-4 times faster than pandoc, and the C implementation is 30-40 times
>> faster.
>>
>> So I'd hope for a 10X speedup with a rewrite.
>

> Further thoughts on this.
>
> The best GSOC projects benefit the whole community (infrastructure).
>
> So, it might make more sense to write a standalone CommonMark parser
> library with a liberal (BSD) license, that could be used in other
> Haskell projects (e.g., potentially, in some future version of Haddock).
>
> If this is made extensible, pandoc could simply use this library.
> But the library would also be available for other purposes.
>
> Pandoc itself won't ever be relicensed.  But I think it would be a good
> idea, if contributors will agree, to dual license pandoc-types BSD3/GPL.
> (There are only a few commits by people other than me, so this is
> feasible.)

If pandoc-types is licensed BSD3, is there any real need for it to
also be licensed GPL (especially since Cabal doesn't really understand
dual-licensing)?

> This would allow authors of more liberally licensed libraries to
> include a nice "handle" or interface with pandoc.  For example, a
> BSD licensed CommonMark parsing library could provide an option
> to parse to a Pandoc structure, which could then be consumed by
> any of the pandoc writers.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20150221232739.GA42324%40localhost.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic