* Using lfs in Pandoc filter (for scanning directories)
@ 2022-07-14 10:40 Claudio Di Vita
       [not found] ` <0b03f580-ac49-4589-98a5-c955514dbab0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Claudio Di Vita @ 2022-07-14 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi folks,

I created a Docker image from pandoc/latex (the Ubuntu version) to run my
pandoc conversions, thus developing some custom filters.

Due to new requirements, within a filter I need to scan directories and
looking for files. I would use lfs (installing it via luarocks) but I'm
wondering how I can use it with pandoc.

Should I install lua separately within my custom Docker image and instructs
pandoc to use such version ?

Any other suggestions on how to scan directories from a Lua filter ? I
could run a find through pandoc.pipe, but then I have to parse the output
and, in general, looks like a dirty solution.

Thanks,

Claudio

* Re: Using lfs in Pandoc filter (for scanning directories)
       [not found] ` <0b03f580-ac49-4589-98a5-c955514dbab0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-14 13:35   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87cze7g5ud.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-07-14 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Claudio,

Claudio Di Vita <claudio.divita-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I created a Docker image from pandoc/latex (the Ubuntu version) to run
> my pandoc conversions, thus developing some custom filters.
>
> Due to new requirements, within a filter I need to scan directories and
> looking for files. I would use lfs (installing it via luarocks) but I'm
> wondering how I can use it with pandoc.
>
> Should I install lua separately within my custom Docker image and
> instructs pandoc to use such version ?

We build the image such that you can simply use the Ubuntu package
manager to install Lua libraries. E.g., for lfs, try this:

```
RUN apt-get -q --no-allow-insecure-repositories update \
  && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive \
     apt-get install --assume-yes lua-filesystem
  && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
```

The pandoc versions in our images are built against the system's Lua
library, so any system-wide Lua package can be used with pandoc.

> Any other suggestions on how to scan directories from a Lua filter ? I
> could run a find through pandoc.pipe, but then I have to parse the
> output and, in general, looks like a dirty solution.

We could think about making more functions from
[hslua-module-system](https://github.com/hslua/hslua/hslua-module-system)
available in the `pandoc.system` module. See also the discussion in
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/5468

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-07-15 15:29       ` Claudio Di Vita