Thank you for your reply. I am using the validator put out by the W3C avaliable at: https://validator.w3.org/ I will experiment with XHTML and figure out the syntactic differences and see what happens. I do not know much about aria roles so will have read up on those. Many thanks. On Wed, 15 Nov, 2023, 20:48 Nandakumar Chandrasekhar, < navanitachora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote: > Dear Folks, > > I have the following question in regard to the HTML 5 generated by Pandoc. > > Is Pandoc generating HTML 5 using the XHTML standard? > > When validating the generated HTML through the W3C validator I see the > following information notices about void elements: > > Trailing slash on void elements has no effect > > and interacts badly with unquoted attribute values > > . > > Since this is just informational I am not too worried about the trailing > slash being placed at the end of elements although it does not seem to be > part of the HTML 5 standard. > > However, when I am faced with an error like below I would like to fix it: > > Error: Bad value doc-endnotes for attribute role on element aside > . > ↩