From: Gwern Branwen <gwern-v26ZT+9V8bxeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: pandoc as a linkchecker?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 15:35:05 -0400	[thread overview]

Which kinds of links? Pandoc may chase some links in order to inline
them ("linked scripts, stylesheets, images, and videos"), but that's
not most links, and trying to check hyperlinks in full generality is
quite complex and difficult (look at the complexity of what I use for
dead-link finding, https://github.com/linkchecker/linkchecker ), and
not possible in some cases.*

* Consider relative or absolute links on a website: if I link to
'/About' on a gwern.net page, that is a valid link when deployed, but
it will break for every linkchecking tool which doesn't assume that
that is relative to 'https://www.gwern.net'. How does Pandoc know
that?

--
gwern