When standalone is not specified, pandoc typically outputs fragments rather than a complete document. This is convenient for the case where you are processing multiple fragments into one document. (This happens in HTML output but also in other output; groff -ms, ConTeXt, LaTeX.) So normal HTML output I see when I don't specify standalone does *not* include the doctype. $ echo '* Bogus' | pandoc -r rst -w html This is with pandoc 2.16.2, installed with homebrew. On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 9:33 AM Joseph Reagle wrote: > The doctype declaration is a standard HTML feature and declares the > version of the HTML. Pandoc, especially in `--standalone` mode includes > these at the start of an HTML document. > > I'm confused, however. You haven't specified standalone mode. (And why > would you want them removed in any case?) And the behavior you are > describing doesn't correspond to recent versions -- I'm using 2.16.2. I'm > not sure when/if pandoc last used HTML4.01 strict. > > In any case, you could create your own HTML template, without a doctype > declaration. > > https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#templates > > On 21-12-27 15:04, philmac-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org wrote: > > I am using Pandoc to convert dumb quotes to smart quotes in HTML. The > HTML is on my MacOS clipboard: > > > > pbpaste | pandoc -t html+smart | pbcopy > > > > The output begins with > > > > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd”> > > > > and a blank line. > > > > Is it possible to turn this off? > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e8eac3cc-feb6-e3af-dc9d-d3fe0b964925%40reagle.org > . > -- T. Kurt Bond, tkurtbond-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, https://tkurtbond.github.io -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAN1EhV-RgQttr_0-LNmgHG-aMQ9L2Wre-_Ytz4PnghSF4S_8kw%40mail.gmail.com.