* newbie – seeking resources for learning about editing LaTeX template for use with pandoc
@ 2014-12-07 13:47 Simon Ellis
       [not found] ` <98ba56e9-b6a3-4ca1-a85d-22367d6f21a3-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Simon Ellis @ 2014-12-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all

I'm a new pandoc user and am interested in learning a bit about editing the
<template.latex> file to design my pdf outputs (from markdown) a little
differently.

Can anyone recommend some introductory (ie basic) starting points for
helping me out?

To give you an idea of my level, it took me a lot of messing around to
finally figure out how to create the .pandoc folder in my ~./ dir!

Thanks for any thoughts/recommendations.

Best

Simon

* Re: newbie – seeking resources for learning about editing LaTeX template for use with pandoc
       [not found] ` <98ba56e9-b6a3-4ca1-a85d-22367d6f21a3-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-12-07 15:30   ` Mark Szepieniec
       [not found]     ` <CAE4-1rWJNuphmcKSi2XdNwHDEHjinWK5L-rn=TR09Bk4Rphckw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-07 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc only deals with content, so if you're just looking to tweak the
visual layout, you'll need to learn some LaTeX, which is a specialized
system for typesetting documents. There are many guides out there, I've
found http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX to be a great reference, and the
community at tex.stackexchange.com is very helpful for specific questions.

One last thing, in pandoc's template.latex, everything enclosed between $s
relates to pandoc's variables, and pandoc will fill these in before passing
the result to latex.

Hope this helps,

mark

@ 2014-12-07 15:50       ` Simon Ellis
       [not found]         ` <33d8bfd4-d66b-41b3-b64f-8866bdc4c856-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Simon Ellis @ 2014-12-07 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks Mark
Much obliged.
I'm certainly aware that pandoc just deals with content but was hoping that
someone might point me in the direction of starting to deal with LaTeX.
Thanks for the template tip.
Best wishes.
Simon

@ 2014-12-07 17:19           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-12-07 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You might try the LaTeX WikiBook:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

+++ Simon Ellis [Dec 07 14 07:50 ]:

@ 2014-12-08 12:19   ` Thøger Emil Rivera-Thorsen
       [not found]     ` <18354df8-aacb-45c0-8ade-9570facbaf67-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Thøger Emil Rivera-Thorsen @ 2014-12-08 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

With an intermediate LaTeX knowledge, I went about it by simply creating a
copy of the default template and then using trial and error.
You can get relatively far by this and using a YAML title/metedata black
rather than the default pandoc title block.

With this, I recently submitted an article to the Astrophysical Journal
which was 98% (estimated) written in Pandoc's Markdown.

@ 2014-12-08 13:52       ` Caleb McDaniel
       [not found]         ` <4554ea57-dcf7-4f18-86e1-0cc8e549f866-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Caleb McDaniel @ 2014-12-08 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

In addition to trial and error, I've also found The Not So Short Introduction to Latex useful as a starter.

https://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf

Caleb McDaniel

@ 2014-12-08 17:08           ` Simon Ellis
From: Simon Ellis @ 2014-12-08 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)