* Make --section-divs configurable?
@ 2017-11-08 16:04 Yihui Xie
       [not found] ` <2b8bb689-099f-445b-bae5-0565db69302a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yihui Xie @ 2017-11-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I just noticed a change from Pandoc 1.19.x to 2.0 for HTML(5) output:
--section-divs uses <section> instead of <div>. Currently it is a Boolean
option, and I wonder if it is possible to make it configurable, i.e. let
users choose whether to use <section> or <div> by themselves, e.g.,
--section-divs=div. There is nothing technically wrong with <div> in HTML5
output (just a matter of semantics).

Yihui

* Re: Make --section-divs configurable?
       [not found] ` <2b8bb689-099f-445b-bae5-0565db69302a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-08 16:30   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-11-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Yihui Xie [Nov 08 17 08:04 ]:
>   Hi,
>   I just noticed a change from Pandoc 1.19.x to 2.0 for HTML(5) output:
>   --section-divs uses <section> instead of <div>. Currently it is a
>   Boolean option, and I wonder if it is possible to make it configurable,
>   i.e. let users choose whether to use <section> or <div> by themselves,
>   e.g., --section-divs=div. There is nothing technically wrong with <div>
>   in HTML5 output (just a matter of semantics).

True, but isn't section the appropriate tag for...a section?
What is wrong with using section here?

* Re: Make --section-divs configurable?
@ 2017-11-08 16:33     ` Yihui Xie
       [not found]       ` <CANROs4fYD0cGhZGmsoh+FXXDrZPvq42H5FvTBU=NSZyMt-F6KA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Yihui Xie @ 2017-11-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have an application that unfortunately relies on the <div> tag. Now
I have to make it compatible with Pandoc 2.0, so I have to consider
both <section> and <div>.

Regards,
Yihui
--
https://yihui.name

@ 2017-11-08 17:18         ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-11-08 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Yihui Xie [Nov 08 17 10:33 ]:
>I have an application that unfortunately relies on the <div> tag. Now
>I have to make it compatible with Pandoc 2.0, so I have to consider
>both <section> and <div>.

Is that a big obstacle?

* Re: Make --section-divs configurable?
@ 2017-11-08 17:26           ` Yihui Xie
       [not found]             ` <CANROs4fUDXms=BrGXTqwaO9CtziGrKBMzckbEgUuX2VU2z5rKA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Yihui Xie @ 2017-11-08 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm not sure. I can get around it in my own R package, but this issue
seems to affect other R packages that I do not maintain. I need more
time to evaluate how bad this issue is. Thanks!

Regards,
Yihui
--
https://yihui.name

@ 2017-11-08 19:31               ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-11-08 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

By the way, I think section tags have always been used for
html5.  What changed in 2.0 is that html5 became the
default.  That is, previously html was html4, and now it's
html5.  So a good solution for these packages might be to
use `-t html4`.

+++ Yihui Xie [Nov 08 17 11:26 ]:

@ 2017-11-08 19:34               ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]                 ` <9e4552ee-549d-00f0-8364-1aca53173066-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2017-11-08 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/08/2017 06:26 PM, Yihui Xie wrote:
> I'm not sure. I can get around it in my own R package, but this issue
> seems to affect other R packages that I do not maintain. I need more
> time to evaluate how bad this issue is. Thanks!

Hi Yihui,

what has changed in pandoc-2.0 is the default HTML version. It has been
moved from HTML4 to HTML5 as default.

Wouldn’t it be possible that you ask for `-t html4` using pandoc-2.0?

I think this is the easiest fix. Just in case it helps,

Pablo

http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2017-11-08 20:02                   ` Yihui Xie
From: Yihui Xie @ 2017-11-08 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)