* Images in ms file output
@ 2022-11-07  7:30 Randolph M. Fritz
       [not found] ` <835ce711-8460-482e-9577-09bcadbb63f1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Randolph M. Fritz @ 2022-11-07  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello pandoc people! Got a question about the ms pandoc writer.

Do I grasp correctly that the supported image formats are .ps and .eps? Is
that documented anywhere?

Also, on MacOS (v12.6.1, Monterey) the writer produces a roff macro:
  .PSPIC -C "fig1.eps"
Unfortunately, the out-of-date version of pspic.tmac included with that
version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C the
generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?

Randolph M. Fritz

* Re: Images in ms file output
       [not found] ` <835ce711-8460-482e-9577-09bcadbb63f1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-08 23:19   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <F05567A6-284D-467A-BF2A-95BE2CA83192-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-11-08 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The manual says

Option -C centers the graphic horizontally, which is the default.

If it’s the default, then I guess we could safely get rid of it!

> On Nov 6, 2022, at 11:30 PM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfritz3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Hello pandoc people! Got a question about the ms pandoc writer.
>
> Do I grasp correctly that the supported image formats are .ps and .eps? Is that documented anywhere?
>
> Also, on MacOS (v12.6.1, Monterey) the writer produces a roff macro:
>   .PSPIC -C "fig1.eps"
> Unfortunately, the out-of-date version of pspic.tmac included with that version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C the generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?
>
> Randolph M. Fritz
>
> --

* Re: Images in ms file output
       [not found]     ` <F05567A6-284D-467A-BF2A-95BE2CA83192-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-09 12:41       ` Randolph M. Fritz
       [not found]         ` <df6687a7-01fa-4113-bc00-ae4481c0c26bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Randolph M. Fritz @ 2022-11-09 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hunh. Well, I think that's a good idea. 😀 A lot better than writing
platform-dependent code, for sure.

Thanks for the response!

On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 3:19:43 PM UTC-8 fiddlosopher wrote:

> The manual says
>
> Option -C centers the graphic horizontally, which is the default.
>
> If it’s the default, then I guess we could safely get rid of it!
>

> > On Nov 6, 2022, at 11:30 PM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello pandoc people! Got a question about the ms pandoc writer.
> >
> > Do I grasp correctly that the supported image formats are .ps and .eps?
> Is that documented anywhere?
> >
> > Also, on MacOS (v12.6.1, Monterey) the writer produces a roff macro:
> > .PSPIC -C "fig1.eps"
> > Unfortunately, the out-of-date version of pspic.tmac included with that
> version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C the
> generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?
> >
> > Randolph M. Fritz
> >
> > --
> an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/835ce711-8460-482e-9577-09bcadbb63f1n%40googlegroups.com
> .

* Re: Images in ms file output
       [not found]         ` <df6687a7-01fa-4113-bc00-ae4481c0c26bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-09 19:37           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <716B6B65-CB2C-4B69-A13E-762FCD1A03A8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-11-09 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've already made the change.

> On Nov 9, 2022, at 4:41 AM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfritz3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Hunh. Well, I think that's a good idea. 😀 A lot better than writing platform-dependent code, for sure.
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 3:19:43 PM UTC-8 fiddlosopher wrote:
> The manual says
>
> Option -C centers the graphic horizontally, which is the default.
>
> If it’s the default, then I guess we could safely get rid of it!
>

> > On Nov 6, 2022, at 11:30 PM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello pandoc people! Got a question about the ms pandoc writer.
> >
> > Do I grasp correctly that the supported image formats are .ps and .eps? Is that documented anywhere?
> >
> > Also, on MacOS (v12.6.1, Monterey) the writer produces a roff macro:
> > .PSPIC -C "fig1.eps"
> > Unfortunately, the out-of-date version of pspic.tmac included with that version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C the generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?
> >
> > Randolph M. Fritz
> >
> > --

* Re: Images in ms file output
       [not found]             ` <716B6B65-CB2C-4B69-A13E-762FCD1A03A8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-09 23:24               ` Randolph M. Fritz
       [not found]                 ` <CANeAMo+LG=-DxFdyd56YaVtiqfp4ZZS7xtxZu8NS9_J1gNTkbA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Randolph M. Fritz @ 2022-11-09 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Wow, thanks!
--
Randolph M. Fritz || rmfritz3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> I've already made the change.
>
> > On Nov 9, 2022, at 4:41 AM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfritz3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hunh. Well, I think that's a good idea. 😀 A lot better than writing
> platform-dependent code, for sure.
> >
> > Thanks for the response!
> >
> > On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 3:19:43 PM UTC-8 fiddlosopher wrote:
> > The manual says
> >
> > Option -C centers the graphic horizontally, which is the default.
> >
> > If it’s the default, then I guess we could safely get rid of it!
> >

> > > On Nov 6, 2022, at 11:30 PM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello pandoc people! Got a question about the ms pandoc writer.
> > >
> > > Do I grasp correctly that the supported image formats are .ps and
> .eps? Is that documented anywhere?
> > >
> > > Also, on MacOS (v12.6.1, Monterey) the writer produces a roff macro:
> > > .PSPIC -C "fig1.eps"
> > > Unfortunately, the out-of-date version of pspic.tmac included with
> that version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C
> the generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?
> > >
> > > Randolph M. Fritz
> > >
> > > --
> an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/835ce711-8460-482e-9577-09bcadbb63f1n%40googlegroups.com.
>

> > --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/df6687a7-01fa-4113-bc00-ae4481c0c26bn%40googlegroups.com
> .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/716B6B65-CB2C-4B69-A13E-762FCD1A03A8%40gmail.com
> .

* Re: Images in ms file output
@ 2022-11-10 23:21                   ` Randolph M. Fritz
       [not found]                     ` <ebc07834-e362-49ff-9b92-ad8dad4d2e36n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Randolph M. Fritz @ 2022-11-10 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Got another problem with the ms  here; to make inline equations work with
eqn, eqn needs to be told what the delimiters are. Since '@' is used, I
added the following to the beginning of the output file:
.EQ
delim @@
.EN
Perhaps it could be inserted before the first inline equation is used, so
that it would only show up when inline equations are used.

On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 3:24:23 PM UTC-8 Randolph M. Fritz wrote:

> Wow, thanks!
> --
> Randolph M. Fritz || rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
>

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM John MacFarlane <fiddlo...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I've already made the change.
>>
>> > On Nov 9, 2022, at 4:41 AM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hunh. Well, I think that's a good idea. 😀 A lot better than writing
>> platform-dependent code, for sure.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the response!
>> >
>> > On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 3:19:43 PM UTC-8 fiddlosopher wrote:
>> > The manual says
>> >
>> > Option -C centers the graphic horizontally, which is the default.
>> >
>> > If it’s the default, then I guess we could safely get rid of it!

>> .eps? Is that documented anywhere?

>> that version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C
>> the generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?

>> send an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/835ce711-8460-482e-9577-09bcadbb63f1n%40googlegroups.com.
>>

>> > --
>> an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/df6687a7-01fa-4113-bc00-ae4481c0c26bn%40googlegroups.com
>> .
>>
>> --

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/716B6B65-CB2C-4B69-A13E-762FCD1A03A8%40gmail.com
>> .

* Re: Images in ms file output
       [not found]                     ` <ebc07834-e362-49ff-9b92-ad8dad4d2e36n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-10 23:58                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <BF09175F-8A21-4ED5-8260-31AE799DC323-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-11-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The default template already includes

$if(has-inline-math)$
.EQ
delim @@
.EN
$endif$

Note: this is only triggered if your document contains inline equations; it isn’t needed for display equations.

> On Nov 10, 2022, at 3:21 PM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfritz3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Got another problem with the ms  here; to make inline equations work with eqn, eqn needs to be told what the delimiters are. Since '@' is used, I added the following to the beginning of the output file:
> .EQ
> delim @@
> .EN
> Perhaps it could be inserted before the first inline equation is used, so that it would only show up when inline equations are used.
>
> On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 3:24:23 PM UTC-8 Randolph M. Fritz wrote:
> Wow, thanks!
> --
> Randolph M. Fritz || rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
>

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM John MacFarlane <fiddlo...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've already made the change.
>
> > On Nov 9, 2022, at 4:41 AM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hunh. Well, I think that's a good idea. 😀 A lot better than writing platform-dependent code, for sure.
> >
> > Thanks for the response!
> >
> > On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 3:19:43 PM UTC-8 fiddlosopher wrote:
> > The manual says
> >
> > Option -C centers the graphic horizontally, which is the default.
> >
> > If it’s the default, then I guess we could safely get rid of it!
> >

> > > On Nov 6, 2022, at 11:30 PM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello pandoc people! Got a question about the ms pandoc writer.
> > >
> > > Do I grasp correctly that the supported image formats are .ps and .eps? Is that documented anywhere?
> > >
> > > Also, on MacOS (v12.6.1, Monterey) the writer produces a roff macro:
> > > .PSPIC -C "fig1.eps"
> > > Unfortunately, the out-of-date version of pspic.tmac included with that version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C the generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?
> > >
> > > Randolph M. Fritz
> > >
> > > --

* Re: Images in ms file output
       [not found]                         ` <BF09175F-8A21-4ED5-8260-31AE799DC323-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-11  1:49                           ` Randolph M. Fritz
       [not found]                             ` <CANeAMo+YRWgPgBkwCgW1tt56rbV+nQZghUepjenSTcbModC8Dg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Randolph M. Fritz @ 2022-11-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm sorry - I didn't check the template.

But whatever the case, that's not working for me. I'll experiment, and see
if I can come up with a short example.
--
Randolph M. Fritz || rmfritz3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 3:58 PM John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM John MacFarlane <fiddlo...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > I've already made the change.
> >
> > > On Nov 9, 2022, at 4:41 AM, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfr...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hunh. Well, I think that's a good idea. 😀 A lot better than writing
> platform-dependent code, for sure.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the response!
> > >
> > > On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 3:19:43 PM UTC-8 fiddlosopher wrote:
> > > The manual says
> > >
> > > Option -C centers the graphic horizontally, which is the default.
> > >
> > > If it’s the default, then I guess we could safely get rid of it!

> .eps? Is that documented anywhere?

> that version of MacOS doesn't support the -C option. If I edit out the -C
> the generated roff markup works. Is this a bug? Or have I missed something?

* Re: Images in ms file output
@ 2022-11-11  2:18                               ` Randolph M. Fritz
       [not found]                                 ` <b1c8ff97-e18b-411f-89c2-6e71bfffc360n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Randolph M. Fritz @ 2022-11-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)