* MacOS Big Sur update breaks HTML generation
@ 2021-05-04 16:57 James Kayser
       [not found] ` <32ca13a2-ae66-4157-9a3f-3a8546b9e5b8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: James Kayser @ 2021-05-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use Pandoc to convert a markdown table into a standalone HTML, but also
merge it with some HTML using the -B option.  A recent update to MacOS Big
Sur causes pandoc to add additional, unwanted CSS information in the <head>
section that throws off the formatting, as well as this comment at the end.

  <!--[if lt IE 9]>
    <script
src="//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/html5shiv/3.7.3/html5shiv-printshiv.min.js"></script>
  <![endif]-->

This did not occur prior to the MacOS update, and this does not occur in a
Debian/Ubuntu based linux distribution. Only macOS Big Sur (so far that
I've found in my limited testing) seems to be affected.

Manually deleting the excess information in the head corrects the
formatting, but I cannot figure out a way to have pandoc not put it in
there.  I've tried using the -B -H, but it keeps putting it in there above
my CSS formatting.  I even tried changing my default browser in the OS
settings to see if that corrected it, since it seems like maybe its
detecting IE9?  I dunno. Does anyone know how to fix? Been at this for a
couple of days now.

Thanks,
James

* Re: MacOS Big Sur update breaks HTML generation
       [not found] ` <32ca13a2-ae66-4157-9a3f-3a8546b9e5b8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-05-04 17:35   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2pmy61jy2.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-05-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Kayser, pandoc-discuss

It has nothing to do with Big Sur. Most likely you've installed
a different version of pandoc than you were used to.

So, check the changelog
https://pandoc.org/releases.html

and you'll see an announcement of some changes to the default
CSS, as well as a way to disable it if you don't like it.

The html5shiv thing has always been there; it's a way to get
the HTML5 features to work with old IE versions, and it is just
a harmless comment otherwise.  (At this point we could probably
remove it. IE 9 was released in 2011, and anyone using an older
version at this point should be very strongly advised not to!)

@ 2021-05-04 20:12       ` James Kayser
From: James Kayser @ 2021-05-04 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss