* Pandoc JSON schema
@ 2017-10-24 11:16 Albert Krewinkel
       [not found] ` <87bmkwdcdr.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2017-10-24 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If anyone is interested: I've created a JSON schema for pandoc's JSON
output.  This should make it possible to validate the output of JSON
filters without having to invoke pandoc.

https://gist.github.com/tarleb/bcb4b31e35263fcbc6cf7e533670c1cf

I intended for the schema to also serve as documentation, but I find it
difficult to read. It might be possible to improve that, though.

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
       [not found] ` <87bmkwdcdr.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-24 16:47   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is great.  It shoud go somewhere in the pandoc
repository (or perhaps pandoc-types), and be made available
via pandoc.org.

+++ Albert Krewinkel [Oct 24 17 13:16 ]:
>If anyone is interested: I've created a JSON schema for pandoc's JSON
>output.  This should make it possible to validate the output of JSON
>filters without having to invoke pandoc.
>
>https://gist.github.com/tarleb/bcb4b31e35263fcbc6cf7e533670c1cf
>
>I intended for the schema to also serve as documentation, but I find it
>difficult to read. It might be possible to improve that, though.
>
>--

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
@ 2017-10-24 16:53     ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

PS. I wonder if there is any way to autogenerate this from the
FromJSON/ToJSON instances for pandoc types?  That would
allow us to ensure that this is always in sync with changes.

+++ John MACFARLANE [Oct 24 17 09:47 ]:
>This is great.  It shoud go somewhere in the pandoc
>repository (or perhaps pandoc-types), and be made available
>via pandoc.org.
>
>+++ Albert Krewinkel [Oct 24 17 13:16 ]:
>>If anyone is interested: I've created a JSON schema for pandoc's JSON
>>output.  This should make it possible to validate the output of JSON
>>filters without having to invoke pandoc.
>>
>>https://gist.github.com/tarleb/bcb4b31e35263fcbc6cf7e533670c1cf
>>
>>I intended for the schema to also serve as documentation, but I find it
>>difficult to read. It might be possible to improve that, though.
>>
>>--

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
@ 2017-10-25  7:47       ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]         ` <877evjd5yg.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2017-10-25  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MACFARLANE <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> PS. I wonder if there is any way to autogenerate this from the
> FromJSON/ToJSON instances for pandoc types?  That would
> allow us to ensure that this is always in sync with changes.

Autogeneration is the reason why I didn't open a PR for this yet. I'm
planning to experiment with generics and alternative JSON
representations, this schema was merely created to get me started.

It was also suggested to me to use the [Concise Data Definition
Language] instead, which is currently in I-D status, *much* less
verbose, and actually readable. I may try to use generics to generate a
CDDL definition, which could then be translated into a JSON schema. That
is going to take me a while, though.

Long story short: I'll open a PR on jgm/pandoc-website for now, if
that's ok with you. I don't think it's ready for the other repos yet,
neither for pandoc nor pandoc-types.

[Concise Data Definition Language]: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cbor-cddl/

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
       [not found]         ` <877evjd5yg.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-02 14:41           ` Harsh Donga
       [not found]             ` <8d53751b-a59c-43fb-a7e1-4f5079903e28n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harsh Donga @ 2022-11-02 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hey folks,
Do we have any schema validation now, I would like to use it in my custom
script which creates pandoc JSON eventually to convert into different
formats (HTML. DOCX...).

Of course, a way to go is run pandoc command and we can get first erroneous
object in json and continuing till they are all resolved.
Was hoping to have better solution, if there was any other way

Thanks in advance!

@ 2022-11-02 15:11               ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                 ` <87pme55qyx.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-11-02 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Harsh Donga <harsh-7+aFW328pE6p1wGUEcWPqti2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Do we have any schema validation now, I would like to use it in my
> custom script which creates pandoc JSON eventually to convert into
> different formats (HTML. DOCX...).

The schema posted before does not include the new table structure yet.
Other than that it should remain usable.

I believe that our best path forward would be to use autodocodec:
https://github.com/NorfairKing/autodocodec

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
       [not found]                 ` <87pme55qyx.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-02 15:24                   ` Harsh Donga
       [not found]                     ` <81054dc7-a893-4f84-9ce4-ea90f997b12fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harsh Donga @ 2022-11-02 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Seems great, will try it out
Anything non-haskell? Not so great with coding in haskell yet.

Again, thanks! It has been best to work around with pandoc and it's
community!

On Wednesday, 2 November 2022 at 20:44:06 UTC+5:30 Albert Krewinkel wrote:

> Harsh Donga <ha...-7+aFW328pE6p1wGUEcWPqti2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Do we have any schema validation now, I would like to use it in my
> > custom script which creates pandoc JSON eventually to convert into
> > different formats (HTML. DOCX...).
>
> The schema posted before does not include the new table structure yet.
> Other than that it should remain usable.
>
> I believe that our best path forward would be to use autodocodec:
> https://github.com/NorfairKing/autodocodec
>

> --
> Albert Krewinkel
> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
       [not found]                     ` <81054dc7-a893-4f84-9ce4-ea90f997b12fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-02 15:58                       ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                         ` <87leot5otd.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-11-02 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Harsh Donga <harsh-7+aFW328pE6p1wGUEcWPqti2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Seems great, will try it out
> Anything non-haskell? Not so great with coding in haskell yet.

I'm afraid that Haskell is the only good choice here; otherwise we'd
risk the schema to become outdated without us noticing.

💙

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
       [not found]                         ` <87leot5otd.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-12-06  1:04                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <AC7F0C0B-122B-4BF6-BC02-81FC4BA4B37C-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-12-06  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Albert, what program does one use to validate JSON against the schema you made before?
https://gist.github.com/tarleb/bcb4b31e35263fcbc6cf7e533670c1cf

> On Nov 2, 2022, at 8:58 AM, Albert Krewinkel <albert+pandoc-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> Harsh Donga <harsh-7+aFW328pE6p1wGUEcWPqti2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Seems great, will try it out
>> Anything non-haskell? Not so great with coding in haskell yet.
>
> I'm afraid that Haskell is the only good choice here; otherwise we'd
> risk the schema to become outdated without us noticing.
>
>> Again, thanks! It has been best to work around with pandoc and it's
>> community!
>
> 💙
>

> --
> Albert Krewinkel
> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe  e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124
>
> --

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
@ 2022-12-06 15:44                               ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                                 ` <874ju8wn22.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-12-06 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Albert, what program does one use to validate JSON against the schema
> you made before?
> https://gist.github.com/tarleb/bcb4b31e35263fcbc6cf7e533670c1cf

I think I used some kind of Python library when I did that, but don't
actually remember. It might have been
https://python-jsonschema.readthedocs.io/

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
       [not found]                                 ` <874ju8wn22.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-12-28  9:44                                   ` Harsh Donga
       [not found]                                     ` <4e6dd89d-1dd0-40bb-a760-e3468c5b2403n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harsh Donga @ 2022-12-28  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

PFA: pandoc AST json schema (pandoc-types 1.22)

On Tuesday, 6 December 2022 at 21:18:37 UTC+5:30 Albert Krewinkel wrote:

> John MacFarlane <fiddlo...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Albert, what program does one use to validate JSON against the schema
> > you made before?
> > https://gist.github.com/tarleb/bcb4b31e35263fcbc6cf7e533670c1cf
>
> I think I used some kind of Python library when I did that, but don't
> actually remember. It might have been
> https://python-jsonschema.readthedocs.io/
>

> --
> Albert Krewinkel
> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124

[-- Attachment #2: pandoc_schema.json --]
[-- Type: application/json, Size: 31089 bytes --]

* Re: Pandoc JSON schema
@ 2022-12-29 20:37                                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                         ` <CE12DC92-2BD1-429F-B266-EF9D3231A982-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-12-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is there a way to programatically test a document against this schema?

@ 2023-06-19  9:32                                           ` Jörn K
From: Jörn K @ 2023-06-19  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss