* different  $\sqrt$ behaviour in pptx and docx
@ 2022-07-01  8:42 Yibotg
       [not found] ` <dc1b8259-8026-4a7a-b72b-6027677dbb55n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yibotg @ 2022-07-01  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, I used pandoc 2.18 to convert markdown to docx and pptx.

$\sqrt{x}$ in md was convert two different equations in docx and pptx:

the docx was OK,but the pptx had a blank square on the left of root sign.

How can I get the docx equation in pptx?

* Re: different $\sqrt$ behaviour in pptx and docx
       [not found] ` <dc1b8259-8026-4a7a-b72b-6027677dbb55n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-01  8:55   ` Sukil Etxenike arizaleta
       [not found]     ` <b202bc9b-2f18-bebc-5d96-51f824ed4971-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Sukil Etxenike arizaleta @ 2022-07-01  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't know. It may not be rendering math the same way, although both
are Office products. A note, also, the docs don't say how math is
rendered in Power Point. They say that it's rendered in all formats, but
powerpoint is missing from that list. I've consulted the release notes
too, and there doesn't appear any mention of Math in Powerpoint apart
from the fact that it is passed verbatim now in speaker notes.

Thanks,

Sukil

@ 2022-07-01 10:15       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m235flw34p.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-01 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sukil Etxenike arizaleta, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Looks like the pptx writer tries to render math in native
Word format, using texmath to convert just like the docx
writer.  I'm not really sure why there would be a difference
in how the same equation appears.

@ 2023-09-11 12:22           ` Yibotg
       [not found]             ` <39bf17a2-1b3d-4947-83be-14286fa1b959n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yibotg @ 2023-09-11 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello, John. I opened the slides/slide1.xml in example.pptx to see what is
the difference between \sqrt{x} and \sqrt[\square]{x}. There is the
diffence:
<m:oMath
xmlns:m="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/math">
<m:rad>
        <m:radPr>
                *<m:degHide m:val="1" />*
                        *<m:degHide m:val="on" />*
                </m:radPr>
                <m:deg />
                <m:e>
                        <m:r>
                                <m:t>x</m:t>
                        </m:r>
                </m:e>
      </m:rad>
</m:oMath>
the red one leads "a blank square on the left of root sign",the blue one
leads the correct root sign.
I think the val 1 not = val on in the pptx.
however the xml in sample.docx converted by pandoc is the blue one .
在2022年7月1日星期五 UTC+8 18:15:09<John MacFarlane> 写道:

@ 2023-09-11 12:26               ` Yibotg
       [not found]                 ` <1bbbfac2-790c-4358-bf8f-b1618d56ab2fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yibotg @ 2023-09-11 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry , I made a mistake.
*<m:degHide m:val="1" /> leads the correct root sign*
*and*
*<m:degHide m:val="on" /> leads a blank square on the left of root sign.*
在2023年9月11日星期一 UTC+8 20:22:08<Yibotg> 写道:

@ 2023-09-11 18:37                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <01D280C5-04D9-49E2-B581-F525362CF976-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-09-11 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> On Sep 11, 2023, at 5:26 AM, Yibotg <yibotg-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Sorry , I made a mistake.
> <m:degHide m:val="1" /> leads the correct root sign
> and
> <m:degHide m:val="on" /> leads a blank square on the left of root sign.

Well that's good, because pandoc produces m:val="1".
Perhaps you have an old version?

@ 2023-09-12  1:51                       ` Yibotg
       [not found]                         ` <daa7d3f7-6c8d-4b0c-9750-d5a37a726412n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yibotg @ 2023-09-12  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry John, the first post is right.
<m:degHide m:val="on" /> leads the correct root sign
and
<m:degHide m:val="1" /> leads a blank square on the left of root sign.
however in docx,<m:degHide m:val="1" />  leads the correct root sign.

I am sorry for my mistake.
在2023年9月12日星期二 UTC+8 02:38:16<John MacFarlane> 写道:

@ 2023-09-12 14:34                           ` Yibotg
       [not found]                             ` <1e4f9e6f-838d-44c4-a61d-aefb020d1409n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yibotg @ 2023-09-12 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I think the opposite of 'm:val="on" '  is  'm:val="off" ', Powerpoint read
'm:val="1"' not as  'm:val="on"' but as 'not on' . Howerver Word Can read
'm:val="1"' as  'm:val="on"'.

在2023年9月12日星期二 UTC+8 09:51:19<Yibotg> 写道:

@ 2023-09-13 19:38                               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                 ` <DBB6F836-C10C-4C64-A183-8DA64D1EC99F-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-09-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've lost track of what you think is wrong in pandoc.

I had understood you to be using pandoc to produce a docx.  In that case, there should be no problem, because recent versions of pandoc will generate m:val="on", not m:val="1".

If you're instead reading docx, then maybe your point is different, that pandoc should accept both "1" and "on" as on values?

@ 2023-09-14  0:07                                   ` Yibotg
       [not found]                                     ` <b8208e7d-2d06-4e3a-b399-e2342bac191cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yibotg @ 2023-09-14  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have updated pandoc to version 3.1.8, and there is still a square to the
right of the root symbol.In slides.xml, the value of m:val="1".If I change
"1" to "on",the display becomes correct.
I tested the online texmath(texmath demo (johnmacfarlane.net)
<https://johnmacfarlane.net/texmath.html>), the $\sqrt{x}$ is converted to
m:val="1",which causes display errors(a square to the right of the root
symbol) in PowerPoint.
                                   m:val="1"                  m:val="on"
PowerPoint               Wrong                         Correct
Word                          Correct                        Correct

在2023年9月14日星期四 UTC+8 03:39:13<John MacFarlane> 写道:

@ 2023-09-14  1:56                                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-09-14  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You're right, I'd gotten myself confused.

@ 2023-09-14  3:45                                         ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-09-14  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've just release a new version of texmath that fixes this problem. =
Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

> On Sep 13, 2023, at 6:56 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> You're right, I'd gotten myself confused.
>=20
>> On Sep 13, 2023, at 5:07 PM, Yibotg <yibotg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> I have updated pandoc to version 3.1.8, and there is still a square =
to the right of the root symbol.In slides.xml, the value of m:val=3D"1".If=
 I change "1" to "on",the display becomes correct.
>> I tested the online texmath(texmath demo (johnmacfarlane.net)), the =
$\sqrt{x}$ is converted to m:val=3D"1"=EF=BC=8Cwhich causes display =
errors(a square to the right of the root symbol) in PowerPoint.
>>                                   m:val=3D"1"                  =
m:val=3D"on"
>> PowerPoint               Wrong                         Correct
>> Word                          Correct                        Correct
>>=20
>> =E5=9C=A82023=E5=B9=B49=E6=9C=8814=E6=97=A5=E6=98=9F=E6=9C=9F=E5=9B=9B =
UTC+8 03:39:13<John MacFarlane> =E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A
>> I've lost track of what you think is wrong in pandoc.
>>=20
>> I had understood you to be using pandoc to produce a docx.  In that =
case, there should be no problem, because recent versions of pandoc will =
generate m:val=3D"on", not m:val=3D"1".
>>=20
>> If you're instead reading docx, then maybe your point is different, =
that pandoc should accept both "1" and "on" as on values?
>>=20
>>=20
>>> On Sep 12, 2023, at 7:34 AM, Yibotg <yib...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> I think the opposite of 'm:val=3D"on" '  is  'm:val=3D"off" ', =
Powerpoint read  'm:val=3D"1"' not as  'm:val=3D"on"' but as 'not on' . =
Howerver Word Can read   'm:val=3D"1"' as  'm:val=3D"on"'.
>>>=20
>>> =E5=9C=A82023=E5=B9=B49=E6=9C=8812=E6=97=A5=E6=98=9F=E6=9C=9F=E4=BA=8C=
 UTC+8 09:51:19<Yibotg> =E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A
>>> Sorry John, the first post is right.
>>> <m:degHide m:val=3D"on" /> leads the correct root sign=20
>>> and=20
>>> <m:degHide m:val=3D"1" /> leads a blank square on the left of root =
sign.
>>> however in docx=EF=BC=8C<m:degHide m:val=3D"1" />  leads the correct =
root sign.
>>>=20
>>> I am sorry for my mistake.
>>> =E5=9C=A82023=E5=B9=B49=E6=9C=8812=E6=97=A5=E6=98=9F=E6=9C=9F=E4=BA=8C=
 UTC+8 02:38:16<John MacFarlane> =E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Well that's good, because pandoc produces m:val=3D"1".
>>> Perhaps you have an old version?
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> --=20
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google =
Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.
send an email to pandoc-discus...@googlegroups.com.
send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit =
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/b8208e7d-2d06-4e3a-b399-e=
2342bac191cn%40googlegroups.com.

@ 2023-09-14  4:39                                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                         ` <C37E1B6E-821A-4BD8-8511-1D73FE3F96FB-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-09-14  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have released a new version of texmath that fixes this issue.

@ 2023-09-14 10:21                                           ` Yibotg
       [not found]                                             ` <73ed8442-daab-470e-b39a-2163aee231e1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yibotg @ 2023-09-14 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for your work,In  online demo,It works well.Waiting for the change
in pandoc.

在2023年9月14日星期四 UTC+8 12:39:18<John MacFarlane> 写道:

@ 2023-09-14 17:23                                               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-09-14 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can get it in pandoc now if you compile from source (using the dev code from GitHub).