From: John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Possible Pandoc development - Inline footnote output format for markdown
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:57:13 -0700	[thread overview]

Not all footnotes can be inline -- inline footnotes can't contain block-level formatting.
That's why we use reference notes in the writer.

In principle it would be possible to add an option that uses inline notes when possible
(not always), but I'd prefer not to: I don't think the additional complexity is
worth it in this case.