* djot - a new light markup language
@ 2022-07-14 21:57 John MacFarlane
       [not found] ` <EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-14 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've been designing a new light markup syntax, based on the ideas in my essay "Beyond Markdown" (https://johnmacfarlane.net/beyond-markdown.html).  I thought readers of this list might be interested.  The language and its rationale are described here:  https://github.com/jgm/djot

The repository also contains a very fast parser written in pure Lua.  A pandoc custom reader and custom writer are also provided, so you can convert your favorite formats to and from djot.

The syntax is briefly described here: https://djot.net/playground/syntax.html

You can play with the implementation here: https://djot.net/playground/

John

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
@ 2022-07-18 20:15 Lloyd R. prentice
       [not found] ` <96DFE84C-B390-4029-95AF-CA6ABC484447-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. prentice @ 2022-07-18 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

Can’t speak up for Jon, but I’m much interested in a markdown variant that meets the needs of book publishers, particularly self-publishers.  The LaTeX markdown package is a good start. But in my naive view it needs a cleaner bridge to the full expressive power of LaTeX—something like the bridge between HTML and CSS.

The basic tags of extended Pandoc markdown go far. But it would be productive to somehow simply mark a block of copy and apply an arbitrary LaTeX package or snippet. This can be done with the LaTeX markdown package at the cost of dropping down into plain TeX which is much harder to learn than CSS and likely far beyond the skill set of most self-publishers.

Perhaps djot holds this potential, but I don’t yet understand it well enough to see how.

All the best,

LRP

Sent from my iPad