* Year appears twice in biblio item from @online biblatex entry
@ 2022-09-22 19:35 Antonio Piccolboni
       [not found] ` <826a8e3a-24ed-407d-bc2b-8320ac9a75e0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Antonio Piccolboni @ 2022-09-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, I am producing pdf and epub from markdown. The bibliography is in
biblatex. There is a problem with @online items in that the year is
repeated twice in the output, be it pdf or epub. This is an entry:

@online{scalding,
 title={A DSL that is concise and fun},
 url={https://web.archive.org/web/20211216060806/https://twitter.com/scalding},
 year={2021}
}

And this is the result:

“A DSL That Is Concise and Fun.” 2021. 2021.
https://web.archive.org/web/20211216060806/https://twitter.com/scalding.

I am using the options  --citeproc --bibliography biblio.biblatex

Other item types look just fine.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Antonio

* Re: Year appears twice in biblio item from @online biblatex entry
       [not found] ` <826a8e3a-24ed-407d-bc2b-8320ac9a75e0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-22 19:49   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <B3269C33-2E6B-403C-BC73-4139FC900699-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-09-22 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

the CSL has

    <layout suffix=".">
      <group delimiter=". ">
        <text macro="contributors"/>
        <text macro="date"/>
        <text macro="title"/>
      </group>
      <text macro="description"/>
      <text macro="secondary-contributors" prefix=". "/>
      <text macro="container-title" prefix=". "/>
      <text macro="container-contributors"/>
      <text macro="edition"/>
      <text macro="locators-chapter"/>
      <text macro="collection-title-journal" prefix=", " suffix=", "/>
      <text macro="locators"/>
      <text macro="collection-title" prefix=". "/>
      <text macro="issue"/>
      <text macro="locators-article"/>
      <text macro="access" prefix=". "/>
    </layout>

and I think the first date is coming from the "date" macro, while the second is coming from "access," which for web_page uses "issued" date.

I don't know if this is a bug in the style or if there's some subtlety that's wrong in pandoc's CSL processing. Maybe a CSL expert can chime in here? Or try using Zotero with chicago-author-date.csl to see what it does.

@ 2022-09-22 20:44       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-09-22 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is because the group ending with a dot contains the author-year form of the reference with the year only, whereas the second date is part of the full reference and would contain the full date if it were provided. The solution is to provide more information in order to get an output like this one:

Doe, John. 2021. “A DSL That Is Concise and Fun.” Twitter. June 8, 2021. https://web.archive.org/web/20211216060806/https://twitter.com/scalding.

@ 2022-09-22 20:45         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-09-22 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Or to write a Lua filter, of course!

@ 2022-09-22 22:03           ` Antonio Piccolboni
       [not found]             ` <6300be55-0355-4427-9e48-730a1656ffc9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Antonio Piccolboni @ 2022-09-22 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In what field am I suppose to enter that "June 8, 2021"? I tried year and
urldate. The former is repeated twice verbatim, the latter ignored. Thanks

@ 2022-09-23  6:16               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-09-23  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Date! The CSL processor parses this field to get either the year or the full date. That said, I don't know how it should be formatted in BibTeX.

@ 2022-09-23  6:26               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-09-23  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Here is a sample I got by exporting an item from Zotero and converting the CSL JSON file to BibLaTeX via Pandoc:

@online{PageWebSimple,
  author = {Author, First Name},
  title = {Title of the Web Page},
  date = {2000-10-20},
  urldate = {2019-07-20},
  url = {http://placeholder.url}
}

@ 2022-09-23  6:35                 ` Antonio Piccolboni
       [not found]                   ` <568b34c1-c26d-4e14-8c7c-6c503d7a34een-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Antonio Piccolboni @ 2022-09-23  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks,  what I see in my case is that urldate is ignored if either year or
date field are present. Year or date are mandatory or the key contains the
letters n.d. I still find seeing the year twice redundant and not
consistent with how other entry types @book or @article display.

@ 2022-09-23  8:07                     ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-09-23  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, but it is in line with the Chicago Manual of Style, which the default stylesheet conforms to. At §15.50 (2017 edition) it gives the following example:

Google. 2016. "Privacy Policy." Privacy & Terms. Last modified March 25, 2016.
http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.

The same paragraph states: “Chicago requires an access date in citations of websites and other sources consulted online only if no date of publication or revision can be determined from the source”.

But you can modify the stylesheet according to your desiderata if you don't care about following the CMS.

@ 2022-09-23 16:09                       ` Antonio Piccolboni
       [not found]                         ` <d8d0b9e0-014f-42a5-a223-c5bfcc6dab7cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Antonio Piccolboni @ 2022-09-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10537 bytes --]

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't read anything in your quote of the
Chicago Manual of style that justifies the current behavior. Thanks

Antonio

@ 2022-09-23 19:23                           ` 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-09-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't have a clear solution, but it looks like the root cause is that in the absence of an author,  the title is moved to the beginning position *and* the date consists only of the year.

Adding a full date to the example from the initial post the result is

“A DSL That Is Concise and Fun.” 2021. November 23, 2021.
https://web.archive.org/web/20211216060806/https://twitter.com/scalding.

... and adding an author as well results in

Scalding. 2021. “A DSL That Is Concise and Fun.” November 23, 2021.
https://web.archive.org/web/20211216060806/https://twitter.com/scalding.

Now, at least the latter results looks perfectly normal, so I don't think this is a CSL style issue per se.

I guess in principle, the mechanism that moves the title could be made to also check whether this leaves years or a date and a year side by side.

On the other hand, I'm not sure this is really worthwhile, since in practice you should probably always include an organization field in the biblatex data, which in turn ensures that the year and full date are separate, even if there is no author and the title is moved.

* Re: Year appears twice in biblio item from @online biblatex entry
@ 2022-09-23 20:54                             ` Antonio Piccolboni
       [not found]                               ` <479b45ca-ec3a-4d0b-8dff-a2639548c6a5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Antonio Piccolboni @ 2022-09-23 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well, it may look perfectly normal  to you, but to me, in the context of
@book and @article entries which also  have a published date that is
ignored in the rendering of the bibliography entry, it doesn't.  For now I
switched to IEEE.csl which doesn't have this inconsistency and I will think
if I really need to go back to the Chicago style later.  Thanks

Antonio

@ 2022-09-23 21:13                                 ` 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-09-23 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw