Trying to compile pandoc with icu support, on macOS (with latest pandoc dev, and latest icu4c installed via homebrew), as described in https://pandoc.org/installing.html, and using stack, the process errors out with number of messages concerning text-icu (the last one being fatal): ``` text-icu > /private/var/folders/tr/2vzllytd31v6tb7hs_j7n2hm0000gs/T/stack-59bd324a08690294/text-icu-0.7.0.1/cbits/text_icu.c:308:43: error: text-icu > error: use of undeclared identifier 'TRUE' text-icu > return u_strCompareIter(iter1, iter2, TRUE); text-icu > ^ text-icu > | text-icu > 308 | return u_strCompareIter(iter1, iter2, TRUE); text-icu > | ^ text-icu > 3 warnings and 1 error generated. text-icu > `gcc' failed in phase `C Compiler'. (Exit code: 1) ``` (all but identical to what has been reported at https://github.com/haskell/text-icu/issues/49) The error(s) appear to be caused by recent changes to icu4c, which seems to have dropped custom-defined TRUE and FALSE values (see https://github.com/haskell/text-icu/issues/49). While there is an open pull request intended to fix this issue (https://github.com/haskell/text-icu/pull/48), it seems not to be clear that text-icu has an active maintainer at the moment, and it’s unclear when that pull request will eventually make it into an official text-icu release. An unofficial fork of text-icu claims to have fixed the issue (https://github.com/WorldSEnder/text-icu/commit/7657227a7ca8ad13be86db5c190b806774a5fd6b). I wonder if anyone could indicate how to tweak the pandoc install command to include, for the time being, the WorldSEnder/text-icu fork rather than the official one - or whether there is anything else I could try to fix this issue on the pandoc side. (I tried downgrading icu4c via homebrew, but apparenty no formulae for earlier versions are available.) As an aside, while I fully understand the wish not having to include a huge external C library by default, I feel that pandoc’s default sorting algorithm, currently based on “i;unicode-casemap” (RFC 5051), is somewhat below par. In particular, it does not even comply with mainstream English-language rules as far accented characters are concerned. The Chicago Manual of Style (17e, 2017, 16.67) unambiguously states: “Words beginning with or including accented letters are alphabetized as though they were unaccented.” One of their examples gives the sort order “Ubeda – Über – Ubina“. Without icu support, pandoc incorrectly sort this as “Ubeda – Ubina – Über“. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/RvYr4eCyVE6BDciI-E4L0xJD_y60Nj2t6NJYdYcKeSmXBsMd6SZUZWu4Pm_pPwgfdTrGVS1_afWf2R5fi7hhWMKjewo3yakQKUhPv6Sj5JQ%3D%40protonmail.com.