* Where is the locator attribute in my Citation element?
@ 2023-02-23  9:51 A A
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgPvbd2kYqD2B=Ft6fPzUsWOCAAabJuzD+U+8X+gSP+MfQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-02-23  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

According to the docs <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#citation-syntax>

Citation items may optionally include a prefix, a locator, and a suffix. In

Blah blah [see @doe99, pp. 33-35 and *passim*; @smith04, chap. 1].

the first item (doe99) has prefix see, locator pp. 33-35, and suffix and
*passim*.
The second item (smith04) has locator chap. 1 and no prefix or suffix.

So I made markdown file test.md containing *only* the following:
[see @doe99, pp. 33-35 and *passim*]

When I run pandoc --from markdown --to native test.md I get the following:

[ Para
    [ Cite
        [ Citation
            { citationId = "doe99"
            , citationPrefix = [ Str "see" ]
            , citationSuffix =
                [ Str ","
                , Space
                , Str "pp.\160\&33-35"
                , Space
                , Str "and"
                , Space
                , Emph [ Str "passim" ]
                ]
            , citationMode = NormalCitation
            , citationNoteNum = 1
            , citationHash = 0
            }
        ]
        [ Str "[see"
        , Space
        , Str "@doe99,"
        , Space
        , Str "pp."
        , Space
        , Str "33-35"
        , Space
        , Str "and"
        , Space
        , Str "*passim*]"
        ]
    ]
]

I was expecting a locator attribute somewhere containing pp. 33-35, however
this is not the case and the locator and suffix as mentioned by the docs
are basically all mixed together inside a suffix attribute.

Is there such a thing as a locator? If not why does the documentation
mention it?

* Re: Where is the locator attribute in my Citation element?
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgPvbd2kYqD2B=Ft6fPzUsWOCAAabJuzD+U+8X+gSP+MfQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-02-23 10:10   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-02-23 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There are two levels of processing: representing the text in Pandoc's AST via the reader for your input format and formatting the citation via citeproc. Extracting the locator from the suffix belongs to the latter level. I guess that you already know it, but just in case, the AST is better described here: https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html