* Once again: Cyrillic bold characters not rendered by Pandoc
@ 2022-11-05 16:52 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <80AF9A20-6302-439E-8339-3BD515916020-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-11-05 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello all!

Sorry, I already asked this question here. But I could not resolve this problem. I would be **very** grateful for a solution. If there is no solution, I have to switch to LaTeX - and this will be hard for a three hundert page book.

Pandoc does not render bold face in Cyrillic. I just tried to put my Markdown document into LaTeX - and it is working!

Here my Minimal Working (or not working) Examples:

1. in LateX
2. in Markdown
3. Makefile for Markdown

***

\documentclass[fontsize=12pt,a4paper]{scrartcl}
\usepackage[russian,english,french,main=ngerman]{babel}
% \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
% \usepackage[T1,T2A]{fontenc}
% \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

\begin{document}

\tableofcontents

\bigskip

\section{Wir, Russen, haben zwei Heimaten: unser Russland und Europa.}

\selectlanguage{english}

Chapters in \textbf{Cyrillic} are not bold. Text between two asterisks are not rendered bold. Could somebody help me out?

I tried with

\begin{verbatim}
	  --pdf-engine 	 xelatex								 \
\end{verbatim}

Second Question: how to comment out lines in a Makefile?

Thank you for your help!

\selectlanguage{russian}

\section{У нас, у русских, две Родины – наша Россия и Европа.}

\textbf{Выхожу один я на дорогу;}\newline
Сквозь туман кремнистый путь блестит;\newline
Ночь тиха. Пустыня внемлет богу,\newline
И звезда с звездою говорит.

\end{document}

***

---
documentclass: scrartcl
# Tests also with documentclass: article
fontsize: 12pt
pagesize: a4paper
# maintfont: "Times New Roman"
colorlinks: red
urlcolor: mygray
header-includes:
- \usepackage[russian,english,french,main=ngerman]{babel}
- \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
# - \usepackage[T1,T2A]{fontenc}# No bold Characters at all
# does not change anything:
- \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
- \usepackage{xcolor}
- \definecolor{mygray}{gray}{.45}
include-before:
- \tableofcontents
- \bigskip
---

# Wir, Russen, haben zwei Heimaten: unser Russland und Europa.

```{=latex}
\selectlanguage{english}
```

Chapters in **Cyrillic** are not bold. Text between two asterisks are not rendered bold. Could somebody help me out?

I tried with

```
	  --pdf-engine 	 xelatex								 \
```

Second Question: how to comment out lines in a Makefile?

Thank you for your help!

```{=latex}
\selectlanguage{russian}
% \newfontfamily\cyrillicfont[Script=Cyrillic]{Times New Roman}
```
# У нас, у русских, две Родины – наша Россия и Европа.

**Выхожу один я на дорогу;**\newline
Сквозь туман кремнистый путь блестит;\newline
Ночь тиха. Пустыня внемлет богу,\newline
И звезда с звездою говорит.

***

* AW: Once again: Cyrillic bold characters not rendered by Pandoc
       [not found] ` <80AF9A20-6302-439E-8339-3BD515916020-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-05 17:14   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]     ` <2589154db1dc47b591bc4094fadc8bf8-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-11-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

don't know if that's related, but don't load inputenc and fontenc when your target is xelatex.
[...]

* Re: Once again: Cyrillic bold characters not rendered by Pandoc
       [not found]     ` <2589154db1dc47b591bc4094fadc8bf8-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-05 17:19       ` 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-11-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thx Denis for the hint. In my Makefile is engine pdflatex ... I have no experience with XeLaTeX

@ 2022-11-05 17:20   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss

On my installation, your LaTeX sample does not output any Cyrillic characters at all with the Latin Modern font. However, the md file renders sucessfully when:

  – removing all the lines related to inputenc and fontenc
  – adding `mainfont: "DejaVu Serif"` and `sansfont: "DejaVu Sans"` (or whatever suitable fonts);
  – compiling with --pdf-engine=xelatex.

(BTW, there is a typo in one of the lines you commented out: “mainfont”, not “maintfont”.)

As for me, I have no experience with pdflatex :-)

@ 2022-11-05 17:56     ` 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]       ` <6A3A0C74-3F96-498F-9B7E-2FB3558216BD-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-11-05 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thx Bastien,

on my macOS DejaVu Serif and Sans are not found (pdfengine=xelatex)

making a `locate -i dejavu` in my shell I realised that my TeXLive install has DajaVu fonts but without space between. Without space XeLateX compiles much longer, but finishes with:

```
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
Error producing PDF.
! Package fontspec Error: The font "DejaVuSerif" cannot be found.

For immediate help type H <return>.

l.21   \setsansfont
```

But now I inserted

mainfont: "Times New Roman"
sansfont: "Times New Roman"

(The second sansfont is senseless) So looking into my FontBook.app I see the DejaVu is called:

sansfont: "DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline" (Who has had the idea to call this font like this?)

Working! Wow! This means: I really have to change after many years from LaTeX to XeLaTeX? OMG! XeLateX needs much longer to compile. Hope there will be no bad surprises changing my long text from LaTeX to XeLaTex ...

Once again thank you Bastien

ps: I don't like the fonts like that. Is it always as ugly in XeLaTeX?

@ 2022-11-05 18:21         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-05 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss

Actually, you can make it work with pdflatex too by removing \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and loading a font that has a bold face for Cyrillic with, e.g., \usepackage{dejavu}. However I have no further knowledge about fonts in pdflatex.

@ 2022-11-05 21:48         ` BPJ
       [not found]           ` <CADAJKhCEQkhX50NnX7vFTegpijeZF9f2ckUPtTxgEZ9wye2FSQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-11-05 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Download the Noto fonts. They are excellent (and are still maintained!)

https://fonts.google.com/noto/use

@ 2022-11-07  6:14             ` 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]               ` <73737F01-5A22-41A9-B3CB-95A3FFC8B57A-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-11-07  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for this suggestion. I just realised, that texlive install on macOS has this Noto font. The examples on Google of this font are beautiful. But applying `usepackage{noto}` makes my multi-language document so ugly, that I prefer to stick to LaTeX with the default fonts of scrartcl with Cyrillic without bold characters.

Such a layout with XeLaTeX I am able to do with M. Word too. I don't want to care about my layout, but the content of my texts.

Thx for all your replies

marek

@ 2022-11-09 11:21               ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]               ` <73737F01-5A22-41A9-B3CB-95A3FFC8B57A-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2022-11-09 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Mon, 7 Nov 2022 07:14:15 +0100 schrieb 'Marek Stepanek' via
pandoc-discuss:

> Thank you for this suggestion. I just realised, that texlive
> install on macOS has this Noto font. The examples on Google of
> this font are beautiful. But applying `usepackage{noto}` makes my
> multi-language document so ugly, that I prefer to stick to LaTeX
> with the default fonts of scrartcl with Cyrillic without bold
> characters.

The font used by your pdflatex document is computer modern. If you
want to switch to xelatex or lualatex, you could use this instead

\usepackage{newcomputermodern}

The font support cyrillic too.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

@ 2022-11-09 17:35                 ` BPJ
       [not found]                   ` <CADAJKhAHOjJFwAv-FG+KLMbo8iuUxYVSf4O6kfXvQfpu2zJpHA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-11-09 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den mån 7 nov. 2022 07:15'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss <
pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> Thank you for this suggestion. I just realised, that texlive install on
> macOS has this Noto font. The examples on Google of this font are
> beautiful. But applying `usepackage{noto}` makes my multi-language document
> so ugly, that I prefer to stick to LaTeX with the default fonts of scrartcl
> with Cyrillic without bold characters.

What do you mean that your document becomes ugly when you use Noto?

When you don't use postulated you should probably not use
`\usepackage{noto}` but have the Noto fonts you want to use installed as
system fonts and load them through fontspec, either in your custom template
or through Pandoc's `mainfont` and `mainfontoptions` etc. variables.

If your output still looks wonky that is a problem which should be solved!

@ 2022-11-09 18:27                     ` 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                       ` <5F9E7E7E-DC37-4EB5-97EB-3DB6B28C541F-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-11-09 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ulrike! You are my hero of the year 2022! Your suggestion to switch to XeLateX and use

\usepackage{newcomputermodern}

did it! Now I have bold characters in my Chapter Index and in my Text! I am really grateful for your help! I am wondering, why the same font newcomputermodern is not working with pandoc mark-down pdflatex pdf ... So I have to switch definitely to Xelatex! I will google "from pdflatex to xelatex" :-) So no further help needed!

marek

* Re: Once again: Cyrillic bold characters not rendered by Pandoc
@ 2022-11-09 19:03                       ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]                       ` <5F9E7E7E-DC37-4EB5-97EB-3DB6B28C541F-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2022-11-09 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Wed, 9 Nov 2022 19:27:14 +0100 schrieb 'Marek Stepanek' via
pandoc-discuss:

> Ulrike! You are my hero of the year 2022! Your suggestion to
> switch to XeLateX and use
>
> \usepackage{newcomputermodern}
>
> did it! Now I have bold characters in my Chapter Index and in my
> Text! I am really grateful for your help! I am wondering, why the
> same font newcomputermodern is not working with pandoc mark-down
> pdflatex pdf ...

pdflatex can't handle open type fonts (or only in a very restricted
way). Don't forget that pdftex is quite old and an 8bit application.

> So I have to switch definitely to Xelatex! I
> will google "from pdflatex to xelatex" :-) So no further help
> needed!

Well personally I would use lualatex. It has better microtype
support.

--

@ 2022-11-09 22:45                         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-09 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss

Note that this has nothing to do with Markdown: you can still use Pandoc with XeLaTex, as I showed.