* Use a pipe to generate only first word of a variable?
@ 2023-02-03 17:55 Paul Kelleher
       [not found] ` <074330dd-ae01-4471-9550-ea09b2fe7363n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Kelleher @ 2023-02-03 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

Is it possible to use a pipe in a template to generate just the first word
of a variable?

My specific use case is to produce just the first name of a first-and-last
name that I place in the "to" field of a YAML block that passes info to a
letter template. I'd like to generate "Dear <first name>,". To do this now,
I've defined "to" as an array, with the first name as the first value of
the array and the last name as the second value; then I can use the
predefined 'first' pipe to return just the first name. But for reasons
specific to my particular use case, it'd be great to have a pipe that
returns the first word of a multi-word variable.

Thanks!

* Re: Use a pipe to generate only first word of a variable?
       [not found] ` <074330dd-ae01-4471-9550-ea09b2fe7363n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-02-03 18:57   ` Paul Kelleher
       [not found]     ` <CAD0VMekeTBm__Qt6bAqFMCQ8TVXF+s9Uf4_xsZHxmJ3b_CNVuw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Kelleher @ 2023-02-03 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just realized that one approach is to have Pandoc pass the full name string
(e.g. 'First Last') to the template, but then to create a macro inside the
template that will return just the first word in the string, as described
here
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/316730/extract-first-word-in-a-string>.
That worked for me!

@ 2023-02-04 10:29       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-02-04 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can also write:

---
author:
  first: John
  last: Doe
---

And use in your template use $author.first$