* Use --number-sections with markdown output
@ 2022-05-10  8:30 relayism
       [not found] ` <98ffebc1-b38b-43f5-8234-e222258abb95n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: relayism @ 2022-05-10  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hey!
I know --number-sections does not support markdown output, but how could I
achieve this:
I am converting a .docx to .md and the headings in word are configured to
be numbered, when I convert to .md those numbers are lost.
I'd like to have something like this

# 1 title
## 1.1 subtitle
## 1.2 subtitle
# 2 title
### 2.1.1 subsbutitle

as output, where the numbers are not explicitly part of the docx raw text
input, but could be appended in same way as --number-sections adds it to
other formats

Thanks!

* Re: Use --number-sections with markdown output
       [not found] ` <98ffebc1-b38b-43f5-8234-e222258abb95n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-05-10  9:42   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87zgjpzp6j.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-05-10  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

relayism <tamas.harkai-fWcQWCtGVWc@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I know --number-sections does not support markdown output, but how
> could I achieve this:
>
> I am converting a .docx to .md and the headings in word are configured
> to be numbered, when I convert to .md those numbers are lost.
>
> I'd like to have something like this
>
> # 1 title
> ## 1.1 subtitle
>
> ## 1.2 subtitle
>
> # 2 title
>
> ### 2.1.1 subsbutitle
>
> as output, where the numbers are not explicitly part of the docx raw
> text input, but could be appended in same way as --number-sections adds
> it to other formats

Here's a Lua filter that should do what you need. See
https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html for details.

``` lua

function Pandoc (doc)
  doc.blocks = pandoc.utils.make_sections(true, nil, doc.blocks):walk {
    Div = function (div)
      if div.attributes.number then
        -- first child should be a heading
        local header = div.content[1]
        header.content = {div.attributes.number, pandoc.Space()}
          .. header.content
        header.attributes.number = nil
        return div.content
      end
    end
  }
  return doc
end

```

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-05-10 13:59       ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]         ` <62577c1f-efe5-45b5-ab27-1d8705643afen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2022-05-10 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Side note: !!! I didn't know pandoc Lists could be concatenated with `..`,
that's great! Is this a recent addition to the Lua filter module? Would be
great to document it
(https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html#pandoc.list:__concat). Happy to submit
a PR, but not sure whether small PRs on Pandoc's documentations are
welcome.

@ 2022-05-10 14:23           ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-10 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It is the metamethod pandoc.List:__concat. Indeed, it would be good to add examples to the metamethods, since not all Lua users know about metatables, especially those who only learn the basics of the language to write filters!