* When Converting From DOCX to Markdown Formatting For Lists Are Not Carried Over
@ 2022-05-14 22:29 Kevin Fjelsted
       [not found] ` <e575a611-a1ba-4875-8c92-4f41aea7dff1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-14 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Why is it that when I convert from Docx to Markdown, bulleted and numbered
lists do not retain formatting i.e., no "-" in front of each unordered list
item, and no number in front of each numbered item.

* Re: When Converting From DOCX to Markdown Formatting For Lists Are Not Carried Over
       [not found] ` <e575a611-a1ba-4875-8c92-4f41aea7dff1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-05-17  6:51   ` 'Nikolay Mihaylov' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <a59d216d-f527-4d14-a9b8-f75da3f1af19n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Nikolay Mihaylov' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-05-17  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You should use `-t gfm` flag for bullet lists to work.

@ 2022-05-17 10:19       ` Kevin Fjelsted
       [not found]         ` <6F48F869-C199-4EE6-9050-278CF14C78EC-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-17 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Interesting I still do not get lists that are created in Word to convert.
This is the command I tried.
$ pandoc -s "Test Word format.docx" --wrap=none --reference-links -t gfm -o "Test Word format.md"

@ 2022-05-17 10:43           ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-17 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It should work with -t markdown too (which is implicit with "-o xxx.md"). Could you provide a small example file containing one such list?

@ 2022-05-17 22:58             ` Kevin Fjelsted
       [not found]               ` <662275E5-EDA3-4D1D-B8C2-51B4EA12C103-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-17 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Kevin Fjelsted

I ran the following command to create the Markdown.

<<<<
kfjelsted@kfjelsted-Mac desktop % pandoc -s "list test.docx" --wrap=none --reference-links -t gfm -o "list test.md"

kfjelsted@kfjelsted-Mac desktop % pandoc -s "list test.docx" --wrap=none --reference-links -t gfm -o "list test.md"

I have attached the DOCX file that was used for the input. I have also attached the .MD file that was produced.

There are no bullet or number symbols in the markdown.
-Kevin

> On May 17, 2022, at 5:43 AM, Bastien DUMONT <bastien.dumont-VwIFZPTo/vqsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> It should work with -t markdown too (which is implicit with "-o xxx.md"). Could you provide a small example file containing one such list?
>
> Le Tuesday 17 May 2022 à 05:19:24AM, Kevin Fjelsted a écrit :
>> Interesting I still do not get lists that are created in Word to convert.
>> This is the command I tried.
>> $ pandoc -s "Test Word format.docx" --wrap=none --reference-links -t gfm -o
>> "Test Word format.md"
>>

>>    On May 17, 2022, at 1:51 AM, 'Nikolay Mihaylov' via pandoc-discuss <[1]
>>    pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>    You should use `-t gfm` flag for bullet lists to work.
>>
>>    On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 1:29:36 AM UTC+3 kfje...@[2]gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>        Why is it that when I convert from Docx to Markdown, bulleted and
>>        numbered lists do not retain formatting i.e., no "-" in front of each
>>        unordered list item, and no number in front of each numbered item.
>>

>>    --
>>    msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>>    a59d216d-f527-4d14-a9b8-f75da3f1af19n%40googlegroups.com.
>>

>> --
>> pandoc-discuss/6F48F869-C199-4EE6-9050-278CF14C78EC%40gmail.com.

>> [1] mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>> [2] http://gmail.com/
>> [4] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a59d216d-f527-4d14-a9b8-f75da3f1af19n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> [6] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6F48F869-C199-4EE6-9050-278CF14C78EC%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>
> --

[-- Attachment #2.2: list test.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 130 bytes --]

List Examples

This is an unordered list.

Apples

Bannas

Oranges

Peaches

This is a numbered list

Dogs

Cats

Mice

Elephants

[-- Attachment #2.4: List Test.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 8775 bytes --]

@ 2022-05-18  6:44                 ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-18  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I get the following output:

```
List Examples

This is an unordered list.

-   Apples

-   Bannas

-   Oranges

-   Peaches

This is a numbered list

1.  Dogs

2.  Cats

3.  Mice

4.  Elephants
```

You may be using an old version of pandoc. If true, try upgrading to 2.18.

@ 2022-05-18 14:30                   ` Kevin Fjelsted
       [not found]                     ` <06C4B1E7-54D0-44D9-98B0-D47AB6A0CB21-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Interesting I get the following from my Pandoc —version command which was installed with HomeBrew on the Mac.
<<<kfjelsted@kfjelsted-Mac ~ % pandoc --version
pandoc 2.18
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.22.2, texmath 0.12.5, skylighting 0.12.3,
citeproc 0.7, ipynb 0.2, hslua 2.2.0
Scripting engine: Lua 5.4
User data directory: /Users/kfjelsted/.local/share/pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2022 John MacFarlane. Web:  https://pandoc.org
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is no
warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
kfjelsted@kfjelsted-Mac ~ %

Bastien, clearly your panic is running correctly and shows the lists.
We are using the same commands and same version.
The mystery deepens!
-Kevin

@ 2022-05-18 15:45                       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have found the cause of this discrepancy: before testing your file, I opened it with LibreOffice, which modified it without notifying me. The modifications made by LibreOffice made the lists be recognized by Pandoc. I just downloaded your file again, converted it directly with Pandoc without opening it, and got the same result as you.

I attach a diff of word/document.xml in both DOCX files (unmodified and modified by LibreOffice). If you submit a bug request, it may be helpful to provide it.

Le Wednesday 18 May 2022 à 09:30:59AM, Kevin Fjelsted a écrit :
> [...]
>         kfjelsted@kfjelsted-Mac desktop % pandoc -s "list test.docx" --wrap=
>         none --reference-links -t gfm -o "list test.md"
>
>         kfjelsted@kfjelsted-Mac desktop % pandoc -s "list test.docx" --wrap=
>         none --reference-links -t gfm -o "list test.md"
>

>         I have attached the DOCX file that was used for the input. I have also
>         attached the .MD file that was produced.
>
>         There are no bullet or number symbols in the markdown.
>         -Kevin
>

>             On May 17, 2022, at 5:43 AM, Bastien DUMONT <[3]
>             bastien.dumont-VwIFZPTo/vqsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>             It should work with -t markdown too (which is implicit with "-o
>             xxx.md"). Could you provide a small example file containing one
>             such list?
>
>             Le Tuesday 17 May 2022 à 05:19:24AM, Kevin Fjelsted a écrit :
>
>                 Interesting I still do not get lists that are created in Word
>                 to convert.
>                 This is the command I tried.
>                 $ pandoc -s "Test Word format.docx" --wrap=none
>                 --reference-links -t gfm -o
>                 "Test Word format.md"
>

>                   On May 17, 2022, at 1:51 AM, 'Nikolay Mihaylov' via
>                 pandoc-discuss <[1]
>                   [4]pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>                   You should use `-t gfm` flag for bullet lists to work.
>
>                   On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 1:29:36 AM UTC+3 kfje...@[2][5]
>                 gmail.com wrote:
>
>                       Why is it that when I convert from Docx to Markdown,
>                 bulleted and
>                       numbered lists do not retain formatting i.e., no "-" in
>                 front of each
>                       unordered list item, and no number in front of each
>                 numbered item.
>

>                   --
>                 groups.google.com/d/
>                   msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>                   a59d216d-f527-4d14-a9b8-f75da3f1af19n%[8]40googlegroups.com.
>

>                 --
>                 groups.google.com/d/msgid/
>                 pandoc-discuss/6F48F869-C199-4EE6-9050-278CF14C78EC%[11]
>                 40gmail.com.

>                 [1] [12]mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>                 [2] [13]http://gmail.com/
>                 [4] [15]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>                 a59d216d-f527-4d14-a9b8-f75da3f1af19n%40googlegroups.com?
>                 utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>                 [5] [16]mailto:pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh4Ykp1iOSErHA@public.gmane.orgm
>                 [6] [17]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>                 6F48F869-C199-4EE6-9050-278CF14C78EC%40gmail.com?utm_medium=
>                 email&utm_source=footer
>

>             --
>             groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>             YoN8ahDbTBUMk8F1%40localhost.
>

>         --
>         d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/662275E5-EDA3-4D1D-B8C2-51B4EA12C103%40gmail.com
>         .
>

>     --
>     msgid/pandoc-discuss/YoSVu600xH8jeOtt%40localhost.
>

> --
> pandoc-discuss/06C4B1E7-54D0-44D9-98B0-D47AB6A0CB21%40gmail.com.

[-- Attachment #2: lists_without-lo-and-with-lo.diff --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 10998 bytes --]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>			      |	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<w:document xmlns:r="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/office |	<w:document xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
  <w:body>							  <w:body>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Heading"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="Titre"/>
							      >	        <w:rPr/>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>List Examples</w:t>				        <w:t>List Examples</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
							      >	        <w:rPr/>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>This is an unordered list.</w:t>			        <w:t>This is an unordered list.</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="2"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="1"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="180" w:right="0" w:hanging="180"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Apples</w:t>					        <w:t>Apples</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="2"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="1"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="180" w:right="0" w:hanging="180"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Bannas</w:t>					        <w:t>Bannas</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="2"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="1"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="180" w:right="0" w:hanging="180"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Oranges</w:t>					        <w:t>Oranges</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="2"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="1"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="180" w:right="0" w:hanging="180"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Peaches</w:t>					        <w:t>Peaches</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
							      >	        <w:rPr/>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>This is a numbered list</w:t>			        <w:t>This is a numbered list</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="4"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="2"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="360" w:right="0" w:hanging="360"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Dogs</w:t>						        <w:t>Dogs</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="4"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="2"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="360" w:right="0" w:hanging="360"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Cats</w:t>						        <w:t>Cats</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="4"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="2"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="360" w:right="0" w:hanging="360"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Mice</w:t>						        <w:t>Mice</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:p>							    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>							      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Body A"/>			      |	        <w:pStyle w:val="BodyA"/>
        <w:numPr>						        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>					          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="4"/>				      |	          <w:numId w:val="2"/>
        </w:numPr>						        </w:numPr>
							      >	        <w:spacing w:before="0" w:after="0"/>
							      >	        <w:ind w:left="360" w:right="0" w:hanging="360"/>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
      </w:pPr>							      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>							      <w:r>
        <w:rPr>							        <w:rPr>
          <w:rtl w:val="0"/>				      <
          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>				          <w:lang w:val="en-US"/>
        </w:rPr>						        </w:rPr>
        <w:t>Elephants</w:t>					        <w:t>Elephants</w:t>
      </w:r>							      </w:r>
      <w:r/>						      <
    </w:p>							    </w:p>
    <w:sectPr>							    <w:sectPr>
      <w:headerReference w:type="default" r:id="rId4"/>	      |	      <w:headerReference w:type="default" r:id="rId2"/>
      <w:footerReference w:type="default" r:id="rId5"/>	      |	      <w:footerReference w:type="default" r:id="rId3"/>
      <w:pgSz w:w="12240" w:h="15840" w:orient="portrait"/>   |	      <w:type w:val="nextPage"/>
      <w:pgMar w:top="1440" w:right="1440" w:bottom="1440" w: |	      <w:pgSz w:w="12240" w:h="15840"/>
      <w:bidi w:val="0"/>				      |	      <w:pgMar w:left="1440" w:right="1440" w:gutter="0" w:he
							      >	      <w:pgNumType w:fmt="decimal"/>
							      >	      <w:formProt w:val="false"/>
							      >	      <w:textDirection w:val="lrTb"/>
							      >	      <w:docGrid w:type="default" w:linePitch="100" w:charSpa
    </w:sectPr>							    </w:sectPr>
  </w:body>							  </w:body>
</w:document>							</w:document>

* Re: When Converting From DOCX to Markdown Formatting For Lists Are Not Carried Over
@ 2022-05-18 17:57                         ` Kevin Fjelsted
       [not found]                           ` <502CBF2E-C516-4E63-97A5-38DFC6CB22D9-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Interesting. If I just open the DOCX in LibreOffice It doesn’t fix the issue but if I save out a copy from LibreOffice it does.

[-- Attachment #2: List Test copy Imported to LibreOffice and then Saved Out Of LibreOffice.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 8998 bytes --]

@ 2022-05-18 18:02                         ` Kevin Fjelsted
       [not found]                           ` <3EC245C1-7D01-4B78-A445-DB215285A29D-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-18 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I wonder if the issue is on Pandora’s end or on Apple Pages end since the export came from Pages.
Does anyone have MS word and can test this issue there?

@ 2022-05-18 18:44                             ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-05-18 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

That's because LibreOffice won't alter the content of the docx file if you
don't save it in LO. That's to be expected.

@ 2022-05-18 21:20                             ` Kevin Fjelsted
       [not found]                               ` <07CD1F5A-8D33-419E-AF1A-25107C02C360-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-18 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry about the typo and spell corrector I missed.

> I wonder if the issue is on Pandoc’s  end or on Apple Pages end since the export came from Pages.
> Does anyone have MS word and can test this issue?

* Save  a docx file from word with at least two lists one ordered and one unordered.
Convert with Pandoc to markdown and make sure the list formatting shows up in other words a “-“ before each unordered item, and a unique number before each ordered list item.
One would issue this works because it is so common.,

Then try the same function by creating a document from scratch in Mac Pages and follow the same procedure including exporting a DOCX file.
This file will not created ordered or unordered markdown in the experiences previously documented in this thread.

Is this an issue to be reported in Pandoc, or Apple?
It should be noted that DOCX and ePub are really the only portable document methods available for Pages users that want to export to an open format.

@ 2022-05-18 23:25                                 ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-18 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The question is more about if the output of Pages is compliant with the specification (https://www.ecma-international.org/publications-and-standards/standards/ecma-376/). From what I have seen (for instance the example given in Part 1, p. 53-54), it is. If I am right, this is not a bug of Pages, since it should produce compliant documents, not necessarily documents that follow exactly the same encoding strategies as Word.