* using panflute to create filters and (hopefully) writers in pandoc
@ 2022-07-05 15:12 A A
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgPtfvK1UC9Tct-ZG7z-TsytK0Cb==GqbpNV0xShfThNtA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2022-07-05 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'd like to avoid using Lua to make my own custom filters, readers and/or
writers and stick to panflute because, well, python is just superior to Lua.

If anyone's familiar using panflute, I'd appreciate any commentary or help
I can get on a recent issue
<https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute/issues/217> I logged in which I
am trying to process BulletLists.

Thanks for your consideration.

* AW: using panflute to create filters and (hopefully) writers in pandoc
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgPtfvK1UC9Tct-ZG7z-TsytK0Cb==GqbpNV0xShfThNtA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-05 15:47   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]     ` <28435ea53d1845208602828320c543a0-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-07-05 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Not directly related to your question, but have you considered moonscript or fennel or some other to lua transpiler ?

I'd like to avoid using Lua to make my own custom filters, readers and/or writers and stick to panflute because, well, python is just superior to Lua.

If anyone's familiar using panflute, I'd appreciate any commentary or help I can get on a recent issue<https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute/issues/217> I logged in which I am trying to process BulletLists.

Thanks for your consideration.

* Re: using panflute to create filters and (hopefully) writers in pandoc
       [not found]     ` <28435ea53d1845208602828320c543a0-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-05 15:59       ` A A
       [not found]         ` <CAMwawgMjYTqrbb4cvZqmSYsEHgNL9C0uiw=c2-7uStuhaeVV6A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2022-07-05 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Last time I checked pandoc doesn't support Moonscript or Fennel. It
supports Lua. Furthermore I'm not sure what the added benefit transpiling
(as opposed to writing) Lua would bring here...

@ 2022-07-05 16:10           ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]             ` <be10de6788b943e5835cac27b9ec3b0e-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-07-05 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well BPJ can surely elaborate on that as he uses moonscript. Of course, Pandoc will need the luafief version of a say moonscript script. Regarding the advantages: depending on your background you may be more familiar with these languages and they offer other features.

On Tue, 5 Jul 2022, 17:47 , <denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org<mailto:denis.maier@unibe.ch>> wrote:
Not directly related to your question, but have you considered moonscript or fennel or some other to lua transpiler ?

I'd like to avoid using Lua to make my own custom filters, readers and/or writers and stick to panflute because, well, python is just superior to Lua.

If anyone's familiar using panflute, I'd appreciate any commentary or help I can get on a recent issue<https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute/issues/217> I logged in which I am trying to process BulletLists.

Thanks for your consideration.

* Re: AW: using panflute to create filters and (hopefully) writers in pandoc
       [not found]             ` <be10de6788b943e5835cac27b9ec3b0e-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-05 16:46               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-07-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Using Moonscript of Fennel is just a matter of writing a script in one of these languages that will give a valid Lua filter once compiled to Lua. For Fennel (which probably does not interest you), see an example here: https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/YthBgk5PKRQ/m/O9O-0gmqBAAJ

@ 2022-07-06 19:51   ` Günter Dannoritzer
       [not found]     ` <785dec1b-ea96-4297-9a0e-2d36f9107bddn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Günter Dannoritzer @ 2022-07-06 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I agree with your statement about Python, however, having programmed a few
filter for pandoc I struggled with panflute as the core concept to
understand is how the pandoc AST works. I did not find that much help in
panflute, and it was easier for me to learn lua and use the numerous
lua-filter-examples. Also, I find it easier to use lua, as there are no
extra installations necessary.

@ 2022-07-06 22:49       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m2let5q2ki.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-06 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Günter Dannoritzer, pandoc-discuss

Lua filters are also much faster, because we avoid the JSON
serialization and deserialization step.  And the Lua API now
exposes many useful functions that you're probably not going
to find in panflute.

@ 2022-07-07  9:51           ` A A
       [not found]             ` <CAMwawgN9VkZoWgvdw6xLvoLaB3QRUktswSP8VCuPvjmWvM5xsw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2022-07-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, but Lua + Luarocks support is nonexistent for Windows. Here's proof:

https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks/issues/1423

Furthermore what useful functions are you referring to which the Lua API
exposes and which panflute doesn't?

@ 2022-07-07  9:55               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-07-07  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You don't need to install Lua, it is built into the Pandoc executable. And you will likely not need external modules to write Pandoc filters either!

@ 2022-07-07 10:00                 ` A A
From: A A @ 2022-07-07 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You don't *need *external modules. But it's certainly nice to have them.
What I like about panflute is that it opens up a world of possibilities
with the wide variety of python libraries available... You simply don't get
that with Lua I'm afraid.

@ 2022-07-07 21:58               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-07 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A A, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

A A <amine.aboufirass-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Furthermore what useful functions are you referring to which the Lua API
> exposes and which panflute doesn't?

For example, blocks_to_inlines, make_sections, functions to
manipulate pandoc's mediabag (which contains resources like
images).

But by all means, use panflute if you want to use Python
libraries!  panflute is great.