* Pipe character causes pandoc to hang
@ 2023-06-02 16:20 bob
       [not found] ` <b4c5e2db-976f-4514-8060-63b79d31ecffn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: bob @ 2023-06-02 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have an org file which I am trying to convert to markdown. It is having
trouble with lines in the file that consist of a single pipe (|) character
only. Such files cause pandoc to hang during the conversion, with the
memory usage steadily increasing.

Anyone know of a way I can get this type of conversion to succeed, without
changing the file contents?

* Re: Pipe character causes pandoc to hang
       [not found] ` <b4c5e2db-976f-4514-8060-63b79d31ecffn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-06-02 18:39   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <6DD9491F-5D27-4AF2-A0F6-7AAD22499858-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-06-02 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sounds like a bug in the org reader, which should be reported on our issue tracker, if you can give a short reproducible example. (Also make sure you've tested it with the latest pandoc.)

@ 2023-06-02 22:05       ` bob
       [not found]         ` <15df8571-93a3-461b-b7bd-5490cfeb5371n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: bob @ 2023-06-02 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you. I was not using the latest pandoc version. Having upgraded I
tried the conversion again and this time a conversion was carried out, but
now all lines that consist of a single pipe character are completely
removed from the resulting markdown file.

Is this expected behaviour?

@ 2023-06-02 22:20           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <7636998A-CDCA-4DCA-AFD7-AE1A0A501227-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-06-02 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I’m not sure…Albert Krewinkel would know.  If nobody replies, open an issue.

@ 2023-06-03  5:34               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-06-03  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

These lines are interpreted as empty tables. The org-mode manual suggests you add a zero-width space before the pipe character in such cases: https://orgmode.org/org.html#Escape-Character