* Docx reader and numbered customized styles
@ 2023-10-26 15:27 Ioan Muntean
       [not found] ` <53f12b55-0d77-42de-bba2-b88e91f59eecn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ioan Muntean @ 2023-10-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use a Word document in which a customized style is numbered. I will
convert this document from docx to latex in Pandoc and then redefine the
style in latex with its own format. What I want is to avoid converting the
numbering of the style in pandoc. I want to retain only the text of the
style and its name in markdown, not the numbering. Is there a command for
the docx reader that can completely ignore numbering?
Thanks!
Ioan M.

* Re: Docx reader and numbered customized styles
       [not found] ` <53f12b55-0d77-42de-bba2-b88e91f59eecn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-10-26 15:36   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-10-26 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think that the “styles” extension may help you (you can enable it with the `-f docx+styles` option).

@ 2023-10-26 16:24     ` Ioan Muntean
       [not found]       ` <6bc0ec42-4f2b-4832-8b08-827b913669cen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ioan Muntean @ 2023-10-26 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks Bastien,
I tried to use that option but I can't make it work for the docx reader.
Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Again, I want to ignore numbering
of a docx style in latex, after conversion. My styles are not the standard
styles , I created them separately.
So is the -f docx+styles working with the docx reader, too? If so, how?
Thanks
Ioan

@ 2023-10-26 16:48         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-10-26 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> So is the -f docx+styles working with the docx reader, too? If so, how?

-f docx+styles means “use the docx reader and enable the ‘styles’ extension”, so yes! As is written in the manual, it renders the styles as divs and spans with a “custom-style” attribute. You will have to use a filter to convert some of these divs and spans to whatever code you want in your LaTeX file.

Or are you talking about customized lists, not custom styles?

* Re: Docx reader and numbered customized styles
@ 2023-10-31 15:09           ` Ioan Muntean
From: Ioan Muntean @ 2023-10-31 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Bastien
I investigated this matter and I ended up writing a special filter in LUA
to read docx and convert styles to Latex. The reason is complex, but
numbering paragraphs and refering to them is not replicated well in Latex.
I am trying to use cross-references as bookmarks from Word as the \label
\ref pair in Latex. I think I managed to do this through a filter

So here is what I accomplished:
- keep the numbering of all styles as they are converted by Pandoc by the
-f styles option, except a list of special styles that are filtered
differently
-special styles content is converted but not numbered.
- numbered lists are converted and adapted to enumerate packages in Latex.
This is needed when a list element is refered to as a bookmark

I can post the Lua filter here if that is what people usually do.
Thanks for your input.
Best,
Ioan

@ 2023-11-14 21:55           ` Ioan Muntean
       [not found]             ` <5652a76c-59ab-4056-ac00-92732e13698en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ioan Muntean @ 2023-11-14 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi Bastien
I have a related question that is not immediately connected to special
styles, but the Headings 1, Headings 2 etc.
In my MS Word document, Headings 1 and so on are numbered with a specific
set of multilist levels. I am curious whether there is a way to pass the
type of numbering from Headings 1 style in Word to markdown or later to
Latex. I work often with LUA filters, but in the -t native format of docx,
Headings do not have any specification, online numbered list or special
paragraphs. So how do we recover the numbering of Headings styles?
One way to deal with it would be to rename Headings 1 to headingsnumbered 1
and deal with that special style. Is there any other way to do this?
Thanks in advance!

@ 2023-11-14 22:12               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-11-14 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I guess that it could involve writing a custom reader for the docx format that would do `pandoc.read(input, 'docx')` to get the Pandoc AST of the document, uncompress the DOCX file, read the "styles" file, and set global metadata in the AST matching the configuration of the Headings styles. Then, this metadata may be used by a filter while exporting to LaTeX.

Well, I think that it would be easier to rename the heading styles or to insert some information at the beginning of your file to be processed and removed by the filter for LaTeX export.

@ 2023-11-15  5:32                 ` Ioan Muntean
       [not found]                   ` <SN7PR15MB5635AB592F88C9B03F88840DF9B1A-xz2k8ToKDo8Cw+E34yPvHod3EbNNOtPMvxpqHgZTriW3zl9H0oFU5g@public.gmane.org>
From: Ioan Muntean @ 2023-11-15  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Bastien,
Thanks! This looks helpful. I will try to play with the lua ByteStringReader and then lpeg. The first question I have is how do I deal with a docx file as a zip file in LUA? Or should I unzip the docx first in a pipeline .bat command?
Thanks in advance!
Ioan

@ 2023-11-15  8:06                     ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-11-15  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There is a pandoc.zip module. I never used it, but it seems that you can get the uncompressed content of one file from the archive in Lua without writing it to the disk.