* Ineditable InDesign tables
@ 2015-11-02 23:08 Adam Rice
       [not found] ` <63666713-4a76-4729-9e2b-5ec536946624-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Adam Rice @ 2015-11-02 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm using Pandoc to create an ICML file from a series of markdown files. I
have a few simple tables in these files.

When I create an InDesign document and flow the ICML file into it, the
tables do appear, however, the column widths are extremely narrow (about 6
characters wide), and I cannot reformat them. When I look at the table in
InDesign's Story Editor, there seem to be some spurious tags, which I
suspect might be part of the problem: Story Editor is showing me *two*
"TablePar > TableHeader" tags for each column-header cell, and two
"TablePar" tags for each ordinary cell.

When I create an equivalent table from scratch in InDesign, I see only one
tag per cell. It also doesn't include (for better or worse) the table
captions that result from Pandoc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

* Re: Ineditable InDesign tables
       [not found] ` <63666713-4a76-4729-9e2b-5ec536946624-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-03  6:59   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-11-03  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try creating a simple markdown table in table.md, then:

pandoc -t icml table.md

to look at the icml source pandoc produces for that table.
Let us know if anything looks fishy.  I don't know anything
about ICML, but output for a simple table looks plausible to me
and I don't see doubled anything...

Any ICML experts out there who can comment?

+++ Adam Rice [Nov 02 15 15:08 ]:

@ 2015-11-04 16:12   ` mb21
       [not found]     ` <4fdbbbd3-e672-4fba-8373-7712e1eba4af-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2015-11-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Does the same happen when you use multiline or grid tables?
see http://pandoc.org/README.html#tables

@ 2015-11-04 23:34       ` Adam Rice
       [not found]         ` <74189035-9f1e-4e3f-9c70-84df43cc2041-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Adam Rice @ 2015-11-04 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Indeed, that makes a difference. I have been using pipe tables because
they're easy to hand-code, and they seem to result in very narrow columns
of equal width. With multiline or grid tables, when I place the resulting
converted ICML in InDesign, it starts out with reasonable and differing
column widths. Although they also seem to have the double tags on each cell.

With the Multiline table, the blank lines between rows seem to be captured
as returns at the end of each cell.

I've also noticed that I need to check out the ICML file in order to change
the table's format (eg, change column widths) in all cases. Which I didn't
really expect, but now that I understand how it works, I can deal with it.

@ 2015-11-05  9:44           ` mb21
       [not found]             ` <6e61390a-690c-41c7-8912-2f87dde74147-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2015-11-05  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

With the next pandoc release (or currently building from master), you'll be
able to use pipe tables as well (see
commit https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/commit/eb8aee477db045a7449bc752975528263964b8ce).

> Although they also seem to have the double tags on each cell.
What exactly do you mean by that? That the character style is called
"TablePar > Paragraph"? This is mainly for consistency, since the character
style for simple tables (which cannot contain paragraphs) is just
"TablePar". Basically it just mirrors pandoc's AST.

> I've also noticed that I need to check out the ICML file in order to
change the table's format (eg, change column widths) in all cases.
Yeah... do you know where the information whether a file is checked out is
stored? It seems there's nothing pandoc can do to change this. Didn't find
much about this
in https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/basic-managed-file-workflow.html

@ 2015-11-05 14:09               ` Adam Rice
       [not found]                 ` <5cdf0a04-78b5-4322-8ed0-eff1125d4c0b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Adam Rice @ 2015-11-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> What exactly do you mean by that? That the character style is called
> "TablePar > Paragraph"? This is mainly for consistency, since the character
> style for simple tables (which cannot contain paragraphs) is just
> "TablePar". Basically it just mirrors pandoc's AST.

What I meant that each cell seems to have  "TablePar > Paragraph" *twice*.
On further investigation, what I realize is that there are blank lines
being appended to the contents of every cell (which is sub-optimal), so it
makes sense to see those tags twice in each cell—once for each line.

@ 2015-11-06 20:47                   ` mb21
From: mb21 @ 2015-11-06 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss