* Formatting to Markdown inserts space indentation in list items
@ 2017-10-16 21:00 will.faught-cFyOE3ROWdBBDgjK7y7TUQ
       [not found] ` <b2690c61-9b86-44f6-bb00-96df411c9ba5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: will.faught-cFyOE3ROWdBBDgjK7y7TUQ @ 2017-10-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

For example, when formatting this:

```
- a
- b
- c
```

I get this:

```
-   a
-   b
-   c
```

where there are now 3 spaces between the hyphen and the bullet text Instead
of the original 1 space.

How do I either keep the original spacing, or control the number of spaces
it uses (I want 1 space)?

It seems to happen when formatting to any Markdown flavor.

* Re: Formatting to Markdown inserts space indentation in list items
       [not found] ` <b2690c61-9b86-44f6-bb00-96df411c9ba5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-16 21:55   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-16 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There's no way to retain all the details of the original
formatting.  Everything goes via an intermediate
representation of a structured document, which does not
store details like how many spaces between the bullet and
the text...

There's actually good reason to format the way we do, since
it makes everything line up when you obey the four-space
rule:

-   beginning paragraph

    second paragraph of list

    -   sublist

Obeying the four-space rule is what you should do if you
want your document to be compatible with the most Markdown
implementations.

+++ will.faught-cFyOE3ROWdBBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org [Oct 16 17 14:00 ]:

@ 2017-10-16 22:39     ` Will Faught
       [not found]       ` <D89DE061-372E-4D75-8706-9DCC4CF2621A-cFyOE3ROWdBBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Will Faught @ 2017-10-16 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Makes sense about not being able to preserve the original spacing.

So there's no option or extension to set the bullet spacing to be 1 space?

@ 2017-10-17  3:52         ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]           ` <20171017035228.GB57897-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-17  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Will Faught [Oct 16 17 15:39 ]:
>Makes sense about not being able to preserve the original spacing.
>
>So there's no option or extension to set the bullet spacing to be 1 space?

No.

@ 2017-10-17  5:29             ` Will Faught
       [not found]               ` <1555A65C-6069-41DC-9008-87431E6F6EF0-cFyOE3ROWdBBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Will Faught @ 2017-10-17  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK, thanks.

I think it’s a mistake to always do it that way. One space is far more preferable when writing a long list by hand.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-10-17 12:27                 ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2017-10-17 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/17/17 1:29 AM, Will Faught wrote:
> OK, thanks.
>
> I think it’s a mistake to always do it that way. One space is far more preferable when writing a long list by hand.

It also causes problems when you try to do multi-level lists.  However,
if I may make a suggestion:

Write it with one space, and then format with Pandoc.  Then they'll
always be the same amount of space, even if you accidentally hit the
space bar twice someplace.  ;)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.