* Configurable default styles for docx reader and writer as extension to custom styles
@ 2021-04-16 10:59 Henning Schwentner
From: Henning Schwentner @ 2021-04-16 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The custom style mechanism of the docx writer is great and makes my life as
author much easier. A further improvement could be the following. What do
you think?

So far, when converting to and from docx, a fixed set of styles is used by
both the reader and writer. So we have styles “Body Text”, “Heading 1”,
“Caption”, “Figure”, and so on. These correspond (of course) to the
Markdown elements. This works great with using Pandoc’s standard
reference.docx. But most publishers provide templates with their their
own styles and their own names for them. Example: Pearson uses CHAP_TTL for
chapter titles and CHAP_BM for body text.

My idea is to make the styles (in fact style names) configurable. So we
could have a config file that defines the mapping. Something like:

Body Text = CHAP_BM
First Paragraph = HEADFIRST
Heading 1 = CHAP_TTL
Heading 2 = H1
Footnote Text = FN
…

This mapping file could then be used by both the reader and writer for
convenient conversion.

Would that make sense to you?

Best,
Henning