* pandoc 2.0: how to treadt backwards compatibility
@ 2017-12-23 13:54 'Bernhard Weichel' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Bernhard Weichel' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-12-23 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

great to see that pandoc is continuously improved. Thanks.

Some years back I wrote "Wortsammler"
(https://github.com/bwl21/wortsammler) as a document compiler which
essentially is based on pandoc. The advantage for the user is that
compatibility issues between pandoc versions are handled in Wortsammler.
The drawback is, that new features provided by pandoc are not available
immediately.

I now started to migrate wortsammler to pandoc 2.0. Pandoc is really a
complex thing, and the fact that it sometimes changes defaults does not
make life easier. So I basically need to run my tests and fix the by try
and error.

In order to maintain such wrappers, it would be helpfule

1. the change documentation would have a section what to do to handle non
compatible changes - even the list might be long.
2. it would be possible to export the default settings of extensions in any
form which can be diffed and also be reused in future pandoc runs
3. the latex-style would be divided into a documend skeleton and and a
package with latex command definitions required by pandoc (for example
\tightlist). This would make it easier to maintain document specific latex
templates.

I think pandoc is too powerful - and therefore also a bit too complex to be
used without some wrappers (maybe only shell script or a buildfile). Such
wrappers are application specific and provide a kind of abstraction on top
of the many pandoc features.

-b