* ignore yaml block when converting to LateX
@ 2015-06-29 12:56 Bartleby
       [not found] ` <906b17f8-a159-45e9-b2e4-47446433b2b7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bartleby @ 2015-06-29 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If I have a yaml block at the top of my markdown file

---
author: Will Shakespeare
play: Hamlet
---

And try to convert from .md to .pdf, I get a warning that the values in the
yaml block can't be parsed etc, and I think the cure for that is to add

--from markdown-yaml_metadata_block (from markdown minus the yaml metadata

to my command string

However when I do that, Pandoc refuses to convert and gives me a warning
about a Longtable, which I guess is what it now thinks the YAML block is?

Thanks for any help.

Rick Dooling

* Re: ignore yaml block when converting to LateX
       [not found] ` <906b17f8-a159-45e9-b2e4-47446433b2b7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-06-29 16:53   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150629165301.GF26705-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-06-29 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>   --from markdown-yaml_metadata_block (from markdown minus the yaml

You don't want this; it turns off pandoc's ability to
*recognize* YAML blocks.

Can you give a specific example that produces the warning?
You might just need to follow YAML escaping rules.  (E.g.
if you have a colon in the title.)

BAD:

title:  Hamlet: Or, the Prince of Denmark

GOOD:

title:  'Hamlet: Or, the Prince of Denmark'

or

@ 2015-06-29 17:42       ` Bartleby
       [not found]         ` <c186b0a6-3abf-47ff-a57f-a44517ef8f58-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bartleby @ 2015-06-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 11:53:16 AM UTC-5, John MacFarlane wrote:

> >   --from markdown-yaml_metadata_block (from markdown minus the yaml
>
> You don't want this; it turns off pandoc's ability to
> *recognize* YAML blocks.
>
> Can you give a specific example that produces the warning?
> You might just need to follow YAML escaping rules.  (E.g.
> if you have a colon in the title.)
>
> BAD:
>
> title:  Hamlet: Or, the Prince of Denmark
>
> GOOD:
>
> title:  'Hamlet: Or, the Prince of Denmark'
>
> or
>
> title:  |
>   Hamlet: Or, the Prince of Denmark

Thanks, John, I'll just try adding quotes

Here's the actual yaml. So maybe it's the underscore?

---
Created: 16-April-2015
File: Nash_Chapel.md
---