* Column layout of subfigures
@ 2021-04-10 17:58 Emil Tywoniak
       [not found] ` <a62a4784-fcfe-44cd-87e9-aa8ce890a575n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emil Tywoniak @ 2021-04-10 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'd like to have two subfigures side-by-side. I'm using the pandoc-crossref
filter method of subfigures. I tried turning them into a subsubfigure, and
also the column layout method as described in
https://bookdown.org/yihui/rmarkdown-cookbook/multi-column.html . Does
anybody know a way?
Thanks for your contributions to the pandoc paradigm
Emil

* Re: Column layout of subfigures
       [not found] ` <a62a4784-fcfe-44cd-87e9-aa8ce890a575n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-04-11  9:16   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhDbu34wEJ1mGMTH1NpMW-8DWs5TmfbZmJV-tj5pFxnKnw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-04-11  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You should probably rather open an issue in pandoc-crossref (though I don't
know if its a bug or just a question):

https://github.com/lierdakil/pandoc-crossref/issues

Otherwise here is a trick you may try:

If this is LaTeX the following might help:

1.  Near the top of your markdown file or in a header-include[^1] put this:

        \newenvironment{hideTable}{%
            \let\toprule\relax%
            \let\midrule\relax%
            \let\bottomrule\relax%
        }{}

        \newenvironment{smallText}{\small}{}

    I'm not sure about the exact font size command needed.

2.  Where you want your side by side material use this:

        `\begin{hideTable}`{=latex}

        |-----------|-----------
        | ![alt-text](img-a.pdf)&nbsp; | ![alt text](img-b.pdf)&nbsp;

        `\begin{smallText}`{=latex}

        Fake caption text

        `\end{smallText}`{=latex}

        `\end{hideTable}`{=latex}

However note that these are non-floating images since last time I looked
floating figures didn't work inside tables, and conversely captions don't
work with non-floating images, so you might have to do some mysterious
things to have this show up in your list of figures. I have only ever used
this to place pieces of text and their translation side by side.

In HTML you might hide a table with CSS, i.e.

1.  Where you want the side-by-side stuff:

        :::hideTable

        |-----------|-----------
        | ![Caption A](img-a.pdf) | ![Caption B](img-b.pdf)

        Fake caption text

        :::

2.  Arrange for some CSS which hides the table border to be included in
your document header[^2], minimally:

        div.hideTable table {
            border-collapse: collapse;
        }

    Perhaps also

        div.hideTable p {
            text-size: small
        }

    Note that if you have other CSS in effect which e.g. sets background
colors or borders on table rows you will need to disable that too.

[^1]: https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#option--include-in-header

[^2]: https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#option--css

@ 2021-04-11  9:51       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-04-11  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm not sure to understand exactly what you need, but, for LaTeX output, if you want to place two subfigures side by side, each one having its own caption, with a general caption below, you may be interested by the subcaption package (https://www.ctan.org/pkg/subcaption).

@ 2021-04-13  9:28         ` Emil Tywoniak
From: Emil Tywoniak @ 2021-04-13  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for your suggestions. It's not a bug but it may be a missing
feature of pandoc-crossref though I don't know if it's in the scope of
pandoc-crossref. I believe the point of pandoc is freely converting
formats, and writing output-specific code for simple things like "have two
things side by side" defeats the purpose noticeably. For now, I think I
think the conclusion is "no pandoc solution exists so far". I have opened a
pandoc-crossref issue:
https://github.com/lierdakil/pandoc-crossref/issues/306
Cheers
Emil J. Tywoniak