* Automating markdown to odt with fields
@ 2016-04-26  6:43 JDani Jiménez
       [not found] ` <7608243e-3f15-48de-9230-00b78127246e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: JDani Jiménez @ 2016-04-26  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I need to automate the generation of many documents and, hopeful, maintain change and version control. The main idea is to desing a template with as many fields as I need. These fields are aimed to be filled in with:

formated text

item lists

different paragraphs

images

tables...

I mean, not only text. And, finally, after this gaps are filled, it should be exported to odt or pdf. My best approach is this:

 1. Generate an odt template with these fields defined. This is my first problem... I know variables in LibreOffice Writter, but not a field as it.

 2. Write as many markdown documents as fields in my template with the custom text and structure (not format... this is stored in the template). The point here is to keep the version and changes control over these files storing them in a git server.

 3. Generate final .odt file rendering each markdown into its field. Here is when I don't know exactly how to go on. pandoc could be an option, but I don't know, even reading the docs, if I can render markdown files into and odt template.

 4. Finally, if the odt is generated, converting to pdf is quite straightforward using "libreoffice --headless", for example.

This is only my best approach, but it's not working 100%, so I'm looking for other ways to get same results or solving these issues. Does anyone have worked in a solution like this or do you know if this is possible with pandoc?

* Re: Automating markdown to odt with fields
       [not found] ` <7608243e-3f15-48de-9230-00b78127246e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-26 10:07   ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-04-26 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but note that pandoc
only supports a subset of ODT features, which coincide with its own
document model. I for one wouldn't mind an ODT writer which create stub
styles based on classes on spans etc., but we don't have that now and if I
understand correctly the ODT writer is currently unmaintained. In the past
I experimented a bit with including textual pseudo-markup and
postprocessing with OOo/LO macros/scripts, but it was a pain.

/bpj

@ 2016-04-26 10:36   ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <9a664450-8fbb-4a6d-abd5-5a4c567b2e69-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-04-26 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:43:34 AM UTC+2, JDani Jiménez wrote:

> I need to automate the generation of many documents and, hopeful, maintain
> change and version control. The main idea is to desing a template with as
> many fields as I need. These fields are aimed to be filled in with:
>
> formated text
>
> item lists
>
> different paragraphs
>
> images
>
> tables...
>
> I mean, not only text. And, finally, after this gaps are filled, it should
> be exported to odt or pdf. My best approach is this:
>
>  1. Generate an odt template with these fields defined. This is my first
> problem... I know variables in LibreOffice Writter, but not a field as it.
>
>  2. Write as many markdown documents as fields in my template with the
> custom text and structure (not format... this is stored in the template).
> The point here is to keep the version and changes control over these files
> storing them in a git server.
>
>  3. Generate final .odt file rendering each markdown into its field. Here
> is when I don't know exactly how to go on. pandoc could be an option, but I
> don't know, even reading the docs, if I can render markdown files into and
> odt template.
>
>  4. Finally, if the odt is generated, converting to pdf is quite
> straightforward using "libreoffice --headless", for example.
>
> This is only my best approach, but it's not working 100%, so I'm looking
> for other ways to get same results or solving these issues. Does anyone
> have worked in a solution like this or do you know if this is possible with
> pandoc?

Do I understand your mentioning of LibreOffice/ODT correctly as *"I do not
really need it -- all I want is the final PDF, and a change and version
control for my source files"*?

@ 2016-04-26 10:46       ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-04-26 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:36:08 PM UTC+2, kurt.p...-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org
wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:43:34 AM UTC+2, JDani Jiménez wrote:
>>
>> I need to automate the generation of many documents and, hopeful,
>> maintain change and version control. The main idea is to desing a template
>> with as many fields as I need. These fields are aimed to be filled in with:
>>
>> formated text
>>
>> item lists
>>
>> different paragraphs
>>
>> images
>>
>> tables...

[....]

> Do I understand your mentioning of LibreOffice/ODT correctly as *"I do not
> really need it -- all I want is the final PDF, and a change and version
> control for my source files"*?

Some other questions: Do your item lists each contain a fixed number of
items? Is the number of paragraphs constant? Your tables with the same
number of columns and rows? And the layout of the result have to look like
it is a filled-in paper form? Where does your "automated generation" get
its inputs from? A data base?

In general, standard Pandoc supports all these formatting elements listed
above. You'll just need to generate marked-down text for the elements you
want, run Pandoc to convert to PDF (needs LaTeX installed) and be done (and
put your texts into source control).

You'll have to explain a bit more what exactly you need beyond a "standard"
Pandoc workflow to achieve your desired results.

@ 2016-04-26 20:58   ` JDani Jiménez
       [not found]     ` <1a7138b7-aa6a-4873-b214-9644944c75c6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: JDani Jiménez @ 2016-04-26 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> Yes, you're right, maybe I was not clear enough. Let's go with a better
> simpler try:

I would like to generate a odt template containing:

   1. Structure: First page, spaces, between-paragraph distances, margins...
   2. Static objects: Static text, images...
   3. Sections gaps (I guess vars in LibreOffice) placed where section text
   should go.

This template will be the base of my documents. Well, once the template is
ready, I need to generate final doc with the dynamics text. What I would
like to do, and I don't know if it's possible, is to fill this sections
(t1, t2, t3) in my template with markdown. Why I want to use markdown is to
make possible to insert more than text in each section (bold text, lists,
links, images...). An idea could be having 3 files, t1.md, t2.md and t3.md
and use pandoc to fill the template like this:

   1. render s1.md into s1 in the template
   2. render s2.md into s2 in the template
   3. render s3.md into s3 in the template

Ideally, I would like to insert a ToC at the begging. At this point, I
should have my odt generated.

Trying to clarify: Section number and possition is fixed.

Let's forget about git or automations... I'm experienced enough to do that.

Thanks you all!

@ 2016-04-26 21:05       ` JDani Jiménez
From: JDani Jiménez @ 2016-04-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

With this:

>    1. render s1.md into s1 in the template
>    2. render s2.md into s2 in the template
>    3. render s3.md into s3 in the template
>
> I mean this:

   - render t1.md into t1 in the template
   - render t2.md into t2 in the template
   - render t3.md into t3 in the template

Thanks!

@ 2016-04-26 21:22       ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]         ` <20160426212236.GA35686-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-04-26 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There are two things to fiddle with.  The --reference-odt,
which can help with style (spacing, margins, etc.), and
the opendocument template, which is a place to put hooks
for content.

You can create a custom opendocument template (use
'pandoc -D opendocument' to get the default one).

In place of $body$ you might have, for example,
$s1$, $s2$, and $s3$, perhaps with some content
intervening.

You can then use pandoc to fill these variables:

pandoc --template mycustom.opendocument main.md -o my.odt \
  -V s1=$(pandoc -f markdown -t opendocument s1.md)
  -V s2=$(pandoc -f markdown -t opendocument s2.md)
  -V s3=$(pandoc -f markdown -t opendocument s3.md)

+++ JDani Jiménez [Apr 26 16 13:58 ]:

@ 2016-04-26 21:42           ` JDani Jiménez
From: JDani Jiménez @ 2016-04-26 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Great!! Anxious for trying it tomorrow early in the morning! I'll revert my feedback asap!!

Thanks!

@ 2016-04-27 12:00           ` JDani Jiménez
       [not found]             ` <59292504-c115-4935-b7e2-004c0c875289-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: JDani Jiménez @ 2016-04-27 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This solution is not working... The -V $(pandoc...) commands output
contains characters that are control characters for bash, so the command
cannot be launched like that.
Example:
$ pandoc --template odt.template main.md -t opendocument -o my.odt -V s1=$(
pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section1.md  ) -V s2=$( pandoc -t
opendocument -f markdown sections/section2.md ) -V s3=$( pandoc -t
opendocument -f markdown sections/section3.md )
pandoc: text:style-name="Heading_20_1": openFile: does not exist (No such
file or directory)

The same, but with the debug enabled:
$ set -x
$ pandoc --template odt.template main.md -t opendocument -o my.odt -V s1=$(
pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section1.md  ) -V s2=$( pandoc -t
opendocument -f markdown sections/section2.md ) -V s3=$( pandoc -t
opendocument -f markdown sections/section3.md )
++ pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section1.md
++ pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section2.md
++ pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section3.md
+ pandoc --template odt.template main.md -t opendocument -o my.odt -V
's1=<text:h' 'text:style-name="Heading_20_1"'
'text:outline-level="1">Encabezado' '1</text:h>' '<text:h'
'text:style-name="Heading_20_2"' 'text:outline-level="2">Encabezado'
'2</text:h>' '<text:h' 'text:style-name="Heading_20_3"'
'text:outline-level="3">Encabezado' '3</text:h>' '<text:list'
'text:style-name="L1">' '<text:list-item>' '<text:p'
'text:style-name="P1">lista' item '1</text:p>' '</text:list-item>'
'<text:list-item>' '<text:p' 'text:style-name="P1">lista' item '2</text:p>'
'</text:list-item>' '<text:list-item>' '<text:p'
'text:style-name="P1">lista' item '3</text:p>' '</text:list-item>'
'</text:list>' -V 's2=<text:p' 'text:style-name="Text_20_body">Prueba' de
texto en '<text:span' 'text:style-name="T1">Negrita</text:span>' ,
'<text:span' 'text:style-name="T2">cursiva</text:span>,' '<text:span'
'text:style-name="T3">tachado</text:span>' y '<text:span'
'text:style-name="T4">mezcla</text:span><text:span' 'text:style-name="T5">'
'</text:span><text:span' 'text:style-name="T6">de</text:span><text:span'
'text:style-name="T7">' '</text:span><text:span'
'text:style-name="T8">negrita</text:span><text:span' 'text:style-name="T9">'
'</text:span><text:span' 'text:style-name="T10">y</text:span><text:span'
'text:style-name="T11">' '</text:span><text:span'
'text:style-name="T12">negrita</text:span><text:span'
'text:style-name="T13">' '</text:span><text:span'
'text:style-name="T14">cursiva</text:span></text:p>' -V 's3=<text:p'
'text:style-name="Text_20_body">Prueba' de link: '<text:a'
'xlink:type="simple"' 'xlink:href="https://www.google.com"'
'office:name=""><text:span' 'text:style-name="Definition">I'\''m' an
inline-style link with 'title</text:span></text:a>' Prueba de imagen: '<draw
:frame' 'draw:name="img1"><draw:image' 'xlink:href="deloitte.jpg"' 'xlink:
type="simple"' 'xlink:show="embed"' 'xlink:actuate="onLoad"' '/></draw:frame
>' Prueba de 'código</text:p>' '<text:p' 'text:style-name="P1">Prueba' de
'código</text:p>'
pandoc: text:style-name="Heading_20_1": openFile: does not exist (No such
file or directory)

I tryed these ways to get

   - Using quotes and scaping quotes in the output of pandoc variable
   commands. Like this

pandoc \
 --template odt.template \
 main.md \
 -o my.odt \
 -V s1="$( pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section1.md  | sed
's/"/\\"/g')" \
 -V s2="$( pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section2.md  | sed
's/"/\\"/g')" \
 -V s3="$( pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section3.md  | sed
's/"/\\"/g')"

*Result:* Malformed odt. Quotes keep scaped in contet.xml

   - A three steps procedure
   - Compose an xml opendocument file, with quotes scaped
      - Remove backslashes, unscape quotes
      - Generate the odt

$ pandoc \
 --template odt.template \
 main.md \
 -t opendocument \
 -o my.odt.xml \
 -V s1="$( pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section1.md  | sed
's/"/\\"/g')" \
 -V s2="$( pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section2.md  | sed
's/"/\\"/g')" \
 -V s3="$( pandoc -t opendocument -f markdown sections/section3.md  | sed
's/"/\\"/g')"

$ sed -i -e 's/\\"/"/g' my.odt.xml
$ pandoc --template my.odt.xml main.md -o my.odt

Result: Empty .odt file, but elements in content.xml seem ok??¿!

   - Generating a yaml file in order to make pandoc read vars from it,
   rather than from the command line and avoid.

Result: In progress... I couldn't make pandoc read markdown from yaml.

However, I'm in doubt about what main.md is... I'm using a just touched
file.

@ 2016-04-27 17:21               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20160427172120.GA40999-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, you could always use python or something instead of
bash; that would allow you to put arbitrary string values
in as command line arguments without worrying about escapes
and quoting.

+++ JDani Jiménez [Apr 27 16 05:00 ]:

@ 2016-04-29  8:59                   ` JDani Jiménez
From: JDani Jiménez @ 2016-04-29  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)