* What is the best way to develop for pandocs?
@ 2020-10-26 13:04 'Johannes Aram Unruh' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <170e68ae-579e-4859-9110-ae8d40533231n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Johannes Aram Unruh' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-26 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am rather new to Haskell and I am trying to set up a dev environment
using VSCode and and the "Haskel" extension relying on the "Haskell
Language Server".
I can not get the VSCode to properly work with the pandoc repo.
Autocomplete doesn't work and going to definitions does neither.
Can someone tell me what a good setup would look like and what best
practices would be.

Also I do not seem to have *Paths_pandoc *in the source code when I clone
it. VSCode tells me it cant finde the import.

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Johannes

* Re: What is the best way to develop for pandocs?
       [not found] ` <170e68ae-579e-4859-9110-ae8d40533231n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-10-26 13:55   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <873621m6r4.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2020-10-26 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello Johannes,

'Johannes Aram Unruh' via pandoc-discuss writes:

> I am rather new to Haskell and I am trying to set up a dev environment
> using VSCode and and the "Haskel" extension relying on the "Haskell
> Language Server".
> I can not get the VSCode to properly work with the pandoc repo.
> Autocomplete doesn't work and going to definitions does neither.
> Can someone tell me what a good setup would look like and what best
> practices would be.

Thanks for your interest in pandoc development! I do not have much
experience with VSCode, but the Haskell discourse forum would be a good
place to get more information: <https://discourse.haskell.org>

> Also I do not seem to have *Paths_pandoc *in the source code when I clone
> it. VSCode tells me it cant finde the import.

The `Paths_*` packages are auto-generated by cabal during compilation:
<https://cabal.readthedocs.io/en/3.4/cabal-package.html#accessing-data-files-from-package-code>
Apparently this is tripping the VSCode plugin up. It might help to
compile the project at least once.

Cheers,
Albert

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2020-10-26 14:06       ` 'Johannes Aram Unruh' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <3bc5bbdf-7e0e-4b04-921b-660554fafcb4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Johannes Aram Unruh' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-26 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you for your response. I will take a look at the
discourse.haskell.org.

Regarding the "Paths_*" module:
I did that already using ```stack build```. But this command installs this
file into
```./.stack-work/dist/x86_64-osx/Cabal-2.4.0.1/build/pandoc/autogen/Paths_pandoc.hs```
in my case. So my guess would be that this is the reason for the VSCode not
finding that file. Where should I copy it to in ordere to make this work?

Best regards,

Johannes

@ 2020-10-26 14:20           ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]             ` <CALu=v3+8aj_3panz3a3gm6j+n8fR6co4xbLFC8x_44u9n-iVOw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-10-26 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

My setup for VSCode and Haskell is working fine - though I do all the
building myself on the command line/terminal (but that's only because I
haven't setup the debug configs).

I have the following Haskell extensions installed in VSCode:
- Haskell (1.2)
- Haskell GHCi Debug Adapter (0.25)
- Haskell Syntax Highlighting (3.3)
- Haskell-linter (0.0.6)
- Haskelly (0.5.5)

Not sure if I need all, but that's what I have...

Leonard

@ 2020-10-26 17:05               ` 'Johannes Aram Unruh' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Johannes Aram Unruh' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-26 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss