From: "John Gabriele" <jgabriele-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
To: "'Oliver Demetz' via pandoc-discuss"
	<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: History of the math syntax
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 21:03:53 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 20, 2022, at 3:30 PM, Jeremy Theler wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-05-20 at 13:46 -0400, John Gabriele wrote:
>>
>> Aside from that, I think I remember seeing TeX-formatted mathematics
>> in GNU's Texinfo format.
>>

> Doesn't the "tex" in "texinfo" refer to Donald Knuth's TeX?

I don't really know the history here, but my guess is that Texinfo was made so that you could read it in the terminal, as well as get nice output for a printed manual (with TeX being the backend for that target).

Here's the docs regarding putting mathematics into Texinfo: https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Inserting-Math.html

Anyhow, I think that formatting mathematics in plain text (typed in by a human) is a solved problem (LaTeX). Glad to see that Github's markdown now allows and renders it, and I've been grateful for a long while that Pandoc does as well.

-- John