From: BP Jonsson <bpjonsson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: RFC: Designing Logo of Pandoc
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:02:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Den 2016-12-16 kl. 22:01, skrev John MacFarlane:
> There are lots of people who post to the issue tracker
> things like:  why can't you support feature X in Source
> Format?  It renders in Target Format like so...
>
> They often don't realize that in order to do this, we'd have
> to make feature X representable in the AST, and that
> would mean handling it in every reader and every writer.
>
> I think that's the kind of thing Kolen is referring to.

Yes I realize that, but the remedy for that is a prominent note in
the manual explaining the situation, not complicationg a logo.

Honestly I don't think those people give a farthing how and why
it doesn't work, once they realize that it doesn't work.
The tiny fraction who do care don't need to be reminded by a logo
design and the many who don't care won't start to care because of
a logo design.

Something along the lines of "Pandoc uses an internal
representation of the processed document which is mostly limited
to what can be represented in Pandoc's own Markdown variant.
This means that some features in other source formats aren't
supported by Pandoc and can't be implemented without radical
changes to the internal representation which are not likely to be
implemented anytime soon. This does however not mean that new
features which make sense in Pandoc's Markdown are out of the
question. Such features have been added from time to time and that
may well happen again in the future." in the manual and in
CONTRIBUTING.md would probably be both needed and sufficient.

/bpj