* ANN: pandoc 2.0
@ 2017-10-30  0:16 John MacFarlane
       [not found] ` <CAFC_yuSfG7edXu1xWaO3_kzE_gt-CZbJdgtFADf_JyBYbECxOQ@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-30  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-announce-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm delighted to announce the release of pandoc 2.0.
Binary packages and a changelog can be found at
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/tag/2.0>.  The source
code and API documentation is on Hackage:
<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc>.

This is a huge release:  describing all the changes takes over
11,000 words in the changelog.  All users should look at the
"new features" and "behavior changes" sections of the
changelog.  Those who use pandoc as a library should also look
at the "API changes" section.  And anyone who works with a
particular format should look at the "bug fixes" section
for relevant to that format.

Some highlights:

- New output formats:  ms (groff ms), jats (JATS XML), gfm (a
  version of GitHub-Flavored Markdown that uses the same
  parser as GitHub for maximum accuracy), muse (Emacs Muse).

- New input formats:  gfm, muse, tikiwiki (TikiWiki),
  vimwiki (Vimwiki), creole (Creole 1.0).

- A plain-text syntax for Divs (arbitrary block containers).

- A syntax for passing through raw content in any format.

- Much improved support for LaTeX input, especially
  in handling macros and included files.

- PDFs can now be produced via pdfroff, prince, and weasyprint,
  in addition to latex, xelatex, lualatex, context, and
  wkhtmltopdf.

- A new way of writing pandoc filters in lua, using the lua
  interpreter that is built into pandoc.  Lua filters are
  generally much faster than JSON filters (since we avoid
  the expense of converting to and from JSON), and they have
  the advantage that they do not require any software besides
  pandoc itself to be installed.

- Better error handling, warnings and informational messages.

- New command-line options:

  --eol (specifies line endings),
  --log (prints JSON representation of info and warning messages),
  --request-header (allows specifying a header to be used when
    pandoc fetches external resources),
  --lua-filter (for running lua filters, see below),
  --epub-subdirectory (for changing the directory used in epub
    containers),
  --resource-path (for setting the search path for images and
    other resources),
  --abbreviations (for specifying a custom abbreviations
    file so that the Markdown parser can be sensitive to
    abbreviations),
  --syntax-definition (allowing XML syntax highlighting definitions
    to be loaded dynamically).

- Changed command-line options:

  --reference-doc replaces --reference-docx and --reference-odt
  --smart removed (instead use +smart on reader and/or writer)
  --normalize removed (normalization is automatic)
  --latex-engine removed (instead use --pdf-engine)
  --parse-raw removed (instead use -f latex+raw_tex or -f html+raw_html)
  --epub-stylesheet removed (instead use --css)
  --mathml no longer takes an argument

The focus of this release was a major architectural change
that will be largely invisible to users of the pandoc program,
but that is responsible for many of the improvements users
will notice.  Previously, most of the pandoc readers and
writers were "pure" functions: they converted between strings
and a Pandoc data structure, without being able to perform IO
operations.  This purity has significant advantages in many
contexts, but it also makes it difficult to do things like
process included files.  We have changed the types of all the
readers and writers so that users can now select whether
they will have access to IO.

With each release, pandoc becomes more a team effort, with more
contributors committing high-quality code.  Special thanks are
due to Jesse Rosenthal, who designed and initiated the large
architectural change described above; Albert Krewinkel,
who added the lua filters and improved the Org reader, as well
as helping with the API reorganization; Alexander Krotov,
who contributed the Muse reader and writer and improved the
FB2 writer; Andrew Dunning, Vaclav Haisman, Xavier Olive, and
Thomas Hodgson, who improved the LaTeX, ConTeXt, and beamer
templates; Kolen Cheung, who improved documentation and
infrastructure (pandoc-nightly); Marc Schreiber, who improved
the LaTeX reader; Mauro Bieg, who improved the LaTeX reader and
image size code, and added PDF generation via weasyprint and
prince; Sascha Wilde, who added the Creole reader; Yuchen Pei,
who added the Vimwiki reader; hftf, who brought consistency to
the readers' handling of underlining; and rlpowell, who added the
TikiWiki reader.  Many others contributed code, bug reports, or
suggestions.  Without this large and cooperative community, pandoc
would be a far less capable tool.

Happy converting!

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30  0:40   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]     ` <e31c9609-a808-4814-b20f-b4cf29016a7d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-30  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Congrats and and thanks all for all the good works! This highlight is
especially useful.

FYI,

   - It can be useful to look at the diff. of the MANUAL.txt too: Comparing
   r1.19.2.4…master · jgm/pandoc
   <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/compare/r1.19.2.4...master?expand=1#diff-1187c774ee83820d49b1f14f64e3aa4d>
   .
   - pandoc remains as the most forked repo in Haskell on GitHub by a large
   margin: Search · language:Haskell forks:>777
   <https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=language%3AHaskell+forks%3A%3E777&type=Repositories>
   .

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]     ` <e31c9609-a808-4814-b20f-b4cf29016a7d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30  1:27       ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]         ` <55769679-aea7-4db6-a393-76022e45891e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-30  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

FYI, I released the portable version of pandoc 2.0 as well: Release pandoc
2.0 · pandoc-extras/pandoc-portable
<https://github.com/pandoc-extras/pandoc-portable/releases/tag/2.0>, as
well as submitted pull requests to homebrew to use the latest version.
(pandoc 2.0 includes its own portable version for linux distribution but I
didn’t include that in pandoc-portable yet. It’s on my todo list.)
​

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]         ` <55769679-aea7-4db6-a393-76022e45891e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30  1:53           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20171030015351.GA81813-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-30  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is there any need for pandoc-portable now?  pandoc 2.0's
releases page now includes a linux tarball with static
binaries. That should be about as portable as it gets.

+++ Kolen Cheung [Oct 29 17 18:27 ]:

@ 2017-10-30  2:09               ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-30  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc-portable includes portable versions for macOS and Windows as well.
At least for me the macOS portable version is useful. (And remember the
original spark of pandoc-portable is from a GitHub issue demanding a
portable version on the Windows platform.)

Moreover, pandoc-portable provides all portable versions to any of the
previous versions of pandoc that has been distributed. So e.g. in CI it is
convenient to be able to test multiple versions including 2.0 and older
versions as well.

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 6:54:00 PM UTC-7, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Is there any need for pandoc-portable now?  pandoc 2.0's
> releases page now includes a linux tarball with static
> binaries. That should be about as portable as it gets.
>
> +++ Kolen Cheung [Oct 29 17 18:27 ]:
> >   FYI, I released the portable version of pandoc 2.0 as well: [1]Release
> >   pandoc 2.0 · pandoc-extras/pandoc-portable, as well as submitted pull
> >   requests to homebrew to use the latest version. (pandoc 2.0 includes
> >   its own portable version for linux distribution but I didn’t include
> >   that in pandoc-portable yet. It’s on my todo list.)

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30  2:10   ` iandol
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: iandol @ 2017-10-30  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Wow what a changelog, congratulations and many thanks to John, and the
increasing number of contributors to this wonderful tool!

Ian

p.s. thanks Kolen for the homebrew pull request too...

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]     ` <CAFC_yuQWhDrV1gvMC7ZfK6s4LUiPpc4LSNznPBatwpGG+NP5LQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30 10:23       ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]         ` <CAFC_yuSR6Z5qCgpfgV91CmhHRtbjQwpK5R0ji4qoFGRRkoD1Mg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-10-30 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So there are no AST/JSON format changes?

/bpj

@ 2017-10-30 16:51           ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Correct.

+++ BP Jonsson [Oct 30 17 11:23 ]:
> [...]
>     image size code, and added PDF generation via weasyprint and
>     prince; Sascha Wilde, who added the Creole reader; Yuchen Pei,
>     who added the Vimwiki reader; hftf, who brought consistency to
>     the readers' handling of underlining; and rlpowell, who added the
>     TikiWiki reader.  Many others contributed code, bug reports, or
>     suggestions.  Without this large and cooperative community, pandoc
>     would be a far less capable tool.
>     Happy converting!
>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     [6]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20171030001
>     651.GA74066%40Johns-MacBook-Pro.local.
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [10]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAFC_yuSR6Z5qCgpfg
>   V91CmhHRtbjQwpK5R0ji4qoFGRRkoD1Mg%40mail.gmail.com.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]         ` <CAFC_yuSR6Z5qCgpfgV91CmhHRtbjQwpK5R0ji4qoFGRRkoD1Mg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30 17:20           ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-30 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Note:  the original version of the deb installer on the
releases page was broken; it contained an older version
of the binary.

If you've already installed using the old deb, please use
the version that is there now:

pandoc-2.0-2-amd64.deb

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30 19:42   ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]     ` <fe571f1d-0d8a-de0f-2233-7b2328696333-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2017-10-30 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Congratulations and many thanks for the new release, John.

In the discussions previous to this release, (as far as I remember)
there were some plans about extending attributes to all elements (or at
least to some of them).

Have those plans been dropped or will be attributes granted to allo (or
some) elements in pandoc?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]     ` <fe571f1d-0d8a-de0f-2233-7b2328696333-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30 20:06       ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-30 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Just to reiterate above: there's no AST change. So it is painless to
support pandoc 2.0 in panflute (and pantable): I just need to run the test
to double-confirm it works.

There are pending AST changes in I guess pandoc 2.1, e.g. the col/row span
in table. From the issue about "granting attributes to all elements", it
seems unlikely *all* will receive attributes, but likely some of them will
receive it. (e.g. personally it would be very useful to have attributes on
table).

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]     ` <fe571f1d-0d8a-de0f-2233-7b2328696333-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-30 21:08       ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-30 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The focus of this release was on changes to pandoc's
internal architecture.  AST changes may be considered in
later releases.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-31 13:02   ` Philip Hodder
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Philip Hodder @ 2017-10-31 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John

I'd just like to thank you and the other contributors for all your work on
this.

Favourite new feature is *fenced_div*s, which has removed the need for me
to work out how to create a Python filter (not against Python as such -
just no time!). But with the built in Lua filters even that would be easier!

Thanks!

Phil

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:16:58 AM UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> [...]
> who added the lua filters and improved the Org reader, as well
> as helping with the API reorganization; Alexander Krotov,
> who contributed the Muse reader and writer and improved the
> FB2 writer; Andrew Dunning, Vaclav Haisman, Xavier Olive, and
> Thomas Hodgson, who improved the LaTeX, ConTeXt, and beamer
> templates; Kolen Cheung, who improved documentation and
> infrastructure (pandoc-nightly); Marc Schreiber, who improved
> the LaTeX reader; Mauro Bieg, who improved the LaTeX reader and
> image size code, and added PDF generation via weasyprint and
> prince; Sascha Wilde, who added the Creole reader; Yuchen Pei,
> who added the Vimwiki reader; hftf, who brought consistency to
> the readers' handling of underlining; and rlpowell, who added the
> TikiWiki reader.  Many others contributed code, bug reports, or
> suggestions.  Without this large and cooperative community, pandoc

* Slide columns (Was: ANN: pandoc 2.0)
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-01 20:12   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <2e57350e-2c6d-c2df-648d-342ee8db5a17-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-11-01 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Congrats and thank you everyone! I'm working on migrating my build to use 2.0 (e.g., remove smart option for smart extension) and trying some of the new capabilities.

I'm testing the multi-column slides and do not see what I would expect.

```

## Columns

:::::::::::::: {.columns}
::: {.column width="40%"}
left column content
:::
::: {.column width="60%"}
right column content
:::
::::::::::::::

```

Yields this [1]. I don't see any columns....? Am I supposed to add additional CSS somewhere?

[1]: http://reagle.org/joseph/talks/2014/exemplar.html#/columns

* +tex_math_dollars, reveal and mathjax (Was: ANN: pandoc 2.0)
       [not found]     ` <2e57350e-2c6d-c2df-648d-342ee8db5a17-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-01 21:37       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <0c564a8a-6006-59f5-2369-6da47483f070-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-11-01 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have long used +tex_math_dollars and used it for equations in my documents, especially slides.
In the past the following escaping worked fine.

```
-  Get a writing and style manual, it's a worthwhile \$19 investment given the \$\$\$ you are paying for school.
```

This works fine in normal HTML, but it in reveal.js the rendering is broken:

<http://reagle.org/joseph/talks/edu/writing-feedback-rubric-composition.html#/tips-2>

I am not sure what changed.

How should I now escape dollar signs for rendering my reveal+mathjax?

* --section-divs (Was: ANN: pandoc 2.0)
       [not found]     ` <2e57350e-2c6d-c2df-648d-342ee8db5a17-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-01 22:03       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <4b0b5af6-08b9-1a6e-6a7c-b5ea4300e345-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-11-01 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I use of CSS selectors of the IDs and classes of the divs resulting from `--section-divs`, such as those below.

```
<head>
<h2>Good feedback</h2>
<ol style="list-style-type: decimal">
<li>highlights both strengths to continue and weaknesses to remedy</li>
<li>is focused on the task, not the learner</li>
<li>is prioritized and in manageable units towards remediable concerns</li>
<li>is specific and clear, connected to goals (rubric)</li>
</ol>
```

Now, even with `-w html4 --section-divs` I seem to be getting an xhtml document and sections without wrapping divs.

```
<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<section id="good-feedback" class="level2">
<h2>Good feedback</h2>
<ol type="1">
<li>highlights both strengths to continue and weaknesses to remedy</li>
<li>is focused on the task, not the learner</li>
<li>is prioritized and in manageable units towards remediable concerns</li>
<li>is specific and clear, connected to goals (rubric)</li>
</ol>
</section>

```

I can move my selectors to section tags easily enough, but I want to understand if there's an intentional with 2.0...?

* Re: --section-divs (Was: ANN: pandoc 2.0)
       [not found]         ` <4b0b5af6-08b9-1a6e-6a7c-b5ea4300e345-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-02  0:51           ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-11-02  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Not intentional.  But I can't reproduce, either!

% pandoc -t html5 --section-divs
# hi
^D
<section id="hi" class="level1">
<h1>hi</h1>
</section>
% pandoc -t html4 --section-divs
# hi
^D
<h1>hi</h1>

Do you see something different if you do these commands?
If not, give me precise instructions for reproducing the
issue.

+++ Joseph Reagle [Nov 01 17 18:03 ]:
>I use of CSS selectors of the IDs and classes of the divs resulting from `--section-divs`, such as those below.
>
>```
><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
><head>
><h2>Good feedback</h2>
><ol style="list-style-type: decimal">
><li>highlights both strengths to continue and weaknesses to remedy</li>
><li>is focused on the task, not the learner</li>
><li>is prioritized and in manageable units towards remediable concerns</li>
><li>is specific and clear, connected to goals (rubric)</li>
></ol>
>```
>
>Now, even with `-w html4 --section-divs` I seem to be getting an xhtml document and sections without wrapping divs.
>
>```
><!DOCTYPE html>
><head>
><section id="good-feedback" class="level2">
><h2>Good feedback</h2>
><ol type="1">
><li>highlights both strengths to continue and weaknesses to remedy</li>
><li>is focused on the task, not the learner</li>
><li>is prioritized and in manageable units towards remediable concerns</li>
><li>is specific and clear, connected to goals (rubric)</li>
></ol>
></section>
>
>```
>
>I can move my selectors to section tags easily enough, but I want to understand if there's an intentional with 2.0...?
>
>--

* Re: +tex_math_dollars, reveal and mathjax (Was: ANN: pandoc 2.0)
       [not found]         ` <0c564a8a-6006-59f5-2369-6da47483f070-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-02  1:03           ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-11-02  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This probably has to do with

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3743

We now use the reveal.js mathjax plugin.  And my guess is
that it, unlike the reveal.js configuration we use
for HTML, scans the whole document for $'s and treats
sections within $ as math.

Indeed, you can see this here:
https://github.com/hakimel/reveal.js/blob/master/plugin/math/math.js

     inlineMath: [['$','$'],['\\(','\\)']] ,

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem configurable!  In our
template we set some options, but the mathjax plugin's
loadScript inserts the tex2jax stuff regardless of the
options.

I'd like to find a good solution to this.  For your
purposes, you could modify the revealjs template so it
uses regular mathjax rather than the plugin (use the
HTML template to guide you).  Or just modify it to point
to a local version of the mathjax source, and modify
the math plugin in that version.

+++ Joseph Reagle [Nov 01 17 17:37 ]:

@ 2017-11-02  1:05           ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-11-02  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oh, you might open an issue about this so we don't forget.
Include the information in my previous message.

+++ Joseph Reagle [Nov 01 17 17:37 ]:
>I have long used +tex_math_dollars and used it for equations in my documents, especially slides.
>In the past the following escaping worked fine.
>
>```
>-  Get a writing and style manual, it's a worthwhile \$19 investment given the \$\$\$ you are paying for school.
>```
>
>This works fine in normal HTML, but it in reveal.js the rendering is broken:
>
><http://reagle.org/joseph/talks/edu/writing-feedback-rubric-composition.html#/tips-2>
>
>I am not sure what changed.
>
>How should I now escape dollar signs for rendering my reveal+mathjax?
>
>--

* Re: Slide columns (Was: ANN: pandoc 2.0)
       [not found]     ` <2e57350e-2c6d-c2df-648d-342ee8db5a17-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-02  1:09       ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-11-02  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I had thought we had the right output for reveal.js, but
maybe not.  Can you post something on the issue tracker?

+++ Joseph Reagle [Nov 01 17 16:12 ]:

@ 2017-11-02 11:40             ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-11-02 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MACFARLANE

Okay, documented at https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4027

On 11/1/17 9:03 PM, John MACFARLANE wrote:
> I'd like to find a good solution to this.  For your purposes, you
> could modify the revealjs template so it uses regular mathjax rather
> than the plugin (use the HTML template to guide you).

You are suggesting swapping out:

```
$if(mathjax)$
        math: {
          mathjax: 'https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.0/MathJax.js',
          config: 'TeX-AMS_HTML-full',
        },
$endif$
```

for

```
$if(math)$
  $math$
```

?

* Re: Slide columns (Was: ANN: pandoc 2.0)
@ 2017-11-02 11:46         ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]           ` <42635e48-5352-8446-a717-9f6059a4ad1a-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-11-02 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MACFARLANE

On 11/1/17 9:09 PM, John MACFARLANE wrote:
> I had thought we had the right output for reveal.js, but
> maybe not.  Can you post something on the issue tracker?

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4028

(Maybe I'm doing something wrong in any customization/CSS I have, but it'd be good to see a working example.)

@ 2017-11-02 14:00             ` John Muccigrosso
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2017-11-02 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

For me this only happens in revealjs when the width is specified.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-02 14:15   ` Conrad Cunningham
       [not found]     ` <c207be8c-8d7b-46c7-b2b9-17bb4533479d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Conrad Cunningham @ 2017-11-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks to the team for its work on this new major release!

> - A plain-text syntax for Divs (arbitrary block containers).

Is the syntax of the above documented somewhere? ... I don't see it in the
User's Guide and I find the discussion on the issue difficult to decipher.

> - A new way of writing pandoc filters in lua, using the lua
>   interpreter that is built into pandoc.

Which version of Lua is embedded on Pandoc 2.0?  Lua 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, LuaJIT?

 Thanks,

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]     ` <c207be8c-8d7b-46c7-b2b9-17bb4533479d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-02 15:02       ` Philip Hodder
       [not found]         ` <691ef6f9-3f26-40cb-a86c-3745792ce12c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Philip Hodder @ 2017-11-02 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Look under the "Raw HTML" section, or search for the "fenced_div" option...

@ 2017-11-02 15:06           ` Conrad Cunningham
From: Conrad Cunningham @ 2017-11-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

(: I had just found it separately. :) I was looking near the code blocks
yesterday.  Thanks.

@ 2017-11-02 17:00             ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]               ` <8760asliou.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-11-02 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: John MACFARLANE

On Thu, Nov 02 2017, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> On 11/1/17 9:09 PM, John MACFARLANE wrote:
>> I had thought we had the right output for reveal.js, but
>> maybe not. Can you post something on the issue tracker?
>
> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4028
>
> (Maybe I'm doing something wrong in any customization/CSS I
> have, but it'd be good to see a working example.)

I don't see anything in your css that tells the browser to display
your columns left/right. Reveal.js doesn't seem to contain any
special support for columns, you'll have to do it all yourself.
This StackOverflow question has suggestions:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30861845/how-to-use-two-column-layout-with-reveal-js

I myself used have occasionally used a simple approach like so:

```
div.leftcol {
  float: left;
  width: 50%;
  /* z-index:-10; */
}

div.rightcol {
  float: right;
  width: 50%;
  /* z-index:-10; */
}
```

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2017-11-02 17:32           ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]             ` <a61dd93b-2c25-907d-d824-5ee7811163d8-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2017-11-02 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/01/2017 11:03 PM, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> I use of CSS selectors of the IDs and classes of the divs resulting
> from `--section-divs`, such as those below.
> [...]
> Now, even with `-w html4 --section-divs` I seem to be getting an
> xhtml document and sections without wrapping divs.
> [...]
> I can move my selectors to section tags easily enough, but I want to
> understand if there's an intentional with 2.0...?

Hi Joseph,

I cannot reproduce your issue. But I think there is none.

The contents of my source file (`hi.md`):

``` md
## Good feedback
1. highlights both strengths to continue and weaknesses to remedy
1. is focused on the task, not the learner
1. is prioritized and in manageable units towards remediable concerns
1. is specific and clear, connected to goals (rubric)
```

If I invoke `pandoc.exe --section-divs -t html hi.md` (which is version
2.0.1), I get

``` html5
<section id="good-feedback" class="level2">
<h2>Good feedback</h2>
<ol type="1">
<li>highlights both strengths to continue and weaknesses to remedy</li>
<li>is focused on the task, not the learner</li>
<li>is prioritized and in manageable units towards remediable concerns</li>
<li>is specific and clear, connected to goals (rubric)</li>
</ol>
</section>
```

If I invoke `pandoc --section-divs -t html hi.md`
(pandoc-1.19.2.1-3.fc25.i686, I used Wine for the binary above), I get:

``` html4
<h2>Good feedback</h2>
<ol style="list-style-type: decimal">
<li>highlights both strengths to continue and weaknesses to remedy</li>
<li>is focused on the task, not the learner</li>
<li>is prioritized and in manageable units towards remediable concerns</li>
<li>is specific and clear, connected to goals (rubric)</li>
</ol>
```

What seems to be replaced is HTML4 with HTML5 as the default HTML
version in pandoc-2.0.x.

In HTML5 <section> is used (instead of <div>) to wrap text sections.

If I didn’t get it wrong, either you replace div with section in your
CSS selectors (in case you need this), or you have to ask for HTML4.

If I got it wrong, please provide the exact way in which you invoke pandoc.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]     ` <c207be8c-8d7b-46c7-b2b9-17bb4533479d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-02 17:42       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20171102174219.GD33759-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-11-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Conrad Cunningham [Nov 02 17 07:15 ]:

>   Which version of Lua is embedded on Pandoc 2.0?  Lua 5.1, 5.2, 5.3,
>   LuaJIT?

The default build bakes in lua 5.3.4.
It is also possible to compile pandoc to use a different
version of lua, or to use the system's lua or luajit.

@ 2017-11-02 17:56                 ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-11-02 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Joost Kremers; +Cc: John MACFARLANE

On 11/2/17 1:00 PM, Joost Kremers wrote:
> I don't see anything in your css that tells the browser to display
> your columns left/right. Reveal.js doesn't seem to contain any
> special support for columns, you'll have to do it all yourself.

But is this intentional? If so, perhaps a note should be added to the docs saying the structure is supported in all formats but some will need additional styling. If not, provide the necessary styling.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]         ` <20171102174219.GD33759-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-02 19:26           ` Conrad Cunningham
From: Conrad Cunningham @ 2017-11-02 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks!

@ 2017-11-02 20:33               ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-11-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

My mistake: a combination of (1) change of default html, (2) consequent move to sections, and (3) specifying html4 or html5 actually yields output files with those as extension names.

Thanks John and Pablo.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found] ` <20171030001651.GA74066-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-09 17:06   ` John Muccigrosso
       [not found]     ` <026aceb1-fd4f-44a4-8539-91cd89584d58-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2018-01-09 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> - Changed command-line options:
>
>   --reference-doc replaces --reference-docx and --reference-odt

I'm a bit late with this comment, but I just saw this change. For me it's a
little pesky, because I was using an aliased command that provided both my
Word reference doc and my OOo template. Now I have to provide just one,
which is not a small amount of typing. I can provide some logic, I guess,
to work around it.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.0
       [not found]     ` <026aceb1-fd4f-44a4-8539-91cd89584d58-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-01-09 17:52       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-01-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, that's a good point, but too late to change, I'd say.
The idea was that --reference-doc is like --template --
there's not a separate option for each format.

+++ John Muccigrosso [Jan 09 18 09:06 ]: