* display list bullets
@ 2020-08-20 12:19 Serg
       [not found] ` <8f57a099-8226-4caf-8c69-dbaf97287a89n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Serg @ 2020-08-20 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello!

 I use pandoc *2.10.1*.

 There are three documents in the attachment, in this way the result of the
conversion is "1.docx- > 2.md- > 3.docx".

 I perform the сonversion with assistance by next commands:

 *1.docx- > 2.md*:

*pandoc -s 1_en.docx -f docx+styles -t markdown -o 2_en.md -s*

 *2.md- > 3.docx*:

*pandoc --reference-doc 1_en.docx 2_en.md -f markdown -t docx -o 3_en.docx*

As a result, I get the following problems in output file *3.docx*:

Bulleted lists are displayed as the same style (1_en.docx = yes.png;
3_en.docx = no.png)

[-- Attachment #2: yes.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 22335 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: 2_en.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 330 bytes --]

**List Bullets:**

-   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet"}
    text;
    :::

```{=html}
<!-- -->
```
-   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 2"}
    text;
    :::

-   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 3"}
    text;
    :::

-   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 4"}
    text;
    :::

-   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 5"}
    text.
    :::

[-- Attachment #4: 3_en.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 16262 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: no.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17216 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #6: 1_en.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 21846 bytes --]

* Re: display list bullets
@ 2020-08-21  9:58 ` Anton Shepelev
       [not found] ` <8f57a099-8226-4caf-8c69-dbaf97287a89n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-21  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Serg:

> -   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet"}
>     text;
>     :::
>
> ```{=html}
> <!-- -->
> ```
> -   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 2"}
>     text;
>     :::
>
> -   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 3"}
>     text;
>     :::
>
> -   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 4"}
>     text;
>     :::
>
> -   ::: {custom-style="List Bullet 5"}
>     text.
>     :::
>
> Bulleted lists are displayed as the same style

Your  Markdown  specifies  different styles for each
list item, accordding to their nesting in the source
document. The resulting document (3_en.docx) retains
these styles, but for some reason the items  have  a
custom indetation that overrides the correct indents
specified in the "Bullet List" styles. If you  click
on each item and reapply the correct style (which it
already has!) they receive the correct indent.

I don't know why this  happens.   The  documentation
for `custom-style' says:

   If  you  define  a div or span with the attribute
   custom-style, pandoc will  apply  your  specified
   style  to the contained elements (with the excep-
   tion of elements  whose  function  depends  on  a
   style,  like headings, code blocks, block quotes,
   or links).

Perhaps other readers can help us answer these ques-
tions:

  1.  Is  it possible that lists styles are, too, an
      exception?

  2.  What is an element of which the  function  de-
      pends on a style?

  3.  What are the requirements for Pandoc to retain
      the list  hierarchy  in  Markdown  instead  of
      putting them all on the same level?

* Re: display list bullets
       [not found] ` <8f57a099-8226-4caf-8c69-dbaf97287a89n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-21 10:28   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2020-08-21 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Pandoc's internal representation does not retain information on which
bullet list markers were used in the original. Try converting from Markdown
to Markdown: you will see that all list markers come out as hyphens.

--
Better --help|less than helpless

Den tors 20 aug. 2020 14:19Serg <hudrid-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> Hello!
>
>  I use pandoc *2.10.1*.
>
>  There are three documents in the attachment, in this way the result of
> the conversion is "1.docx- > 2.md- > 3.docx".
>
>  I perform the сonversion with assistance by next commands:
>
>  *1.docx- > 2.md*:
>
> *pandoc -s 1_en.docx -f docx+styles -t markdown -o 2_en.md -s*
>
>  *2.md- > 3.docx*:
>
> *pandoc --reference-doc 1_en.docx 2_en.md -f markdown -t docx -o 3_en.docx*
>

> As a result, I get the following problems in output file *3.docx*:
>
> Bulleted lists are displayed as the same style (1_en.docx = yes.png;
> 3_en.docx = no.png)
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/8f57a099-8226-4caf-8c69-dbaf97287a89n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/8f57a099-8226-4caf-8c69-dbaf97287a89n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: display list bullets
@ 2020-08-21 12:59     ` Anton Shepelev
       [not found]       ` <20200821155942.ffeb275a81d1dc390743cbc2-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-21 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

BPJ:

> Pandoc's  internal  representation does not retain
> information on which bullet list markers were used
> in  the  original. Try converting from Markdown to
> Markdown: you will see that all list markers  come
> out as hyphens.

I  think  Serge's problem is not the specific bullet
marker but the flattening of  an  originally  nested
list.  He wrote:

> Bulleted lists are displayed as the same style

In   the  resulting  document  the  items  different
styles, but the indent is overridden in all so  that
the  list looks flat, *as if* its items had the same
style.

* Re: display list bullets
       [not found]       ` <20200821155942.ffeb275a81d1dc390743cbc2-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-21 13:24         ` Dmitriy Krasilnikov
From: Dmitriy Krasilnikov @ 2020-08-21 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Finn Mathisen

Look into the 1_en.docx thoroughly. There is no multilevel list there
— there's a single-level list where each element is bound to different
style. So Pandoc reasonably puts every element on the same level. Then
the resulting single level markdown list is transformed to a list of
paragraphs with a style each. It works correctly (you can see each
list item is bound to a style), but built-in list styles override
paragraph styles until paragraph style is reapplied. So Serg will have
to right click the style, select all paragraphs marked by this style
and apply the style.

It's worth noting that list style is only about indentations. If you
make Level4 list bold in a 1_en.docx, you will see the last 2 levels
of 3_en.docx will become bold, since these two paragraph styles will
inherit boldness from a paragraph style, but the indentation will come
from a built in single level list style.

пт, 21 авг. 2020 г. в 15:59, Anton Shepelev <anton.txt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> BPJ:
>
> > Pandoc's  internal  representation does not retain
> > information on which bullet list markers were used
> > in  the  original. Try converting from Markdown to
> > Markdown: you will see that all list markers  come
> > out as hyphens.
>
> I  think  Serge's problem is not the specific bullet
> marker but the flattening of  an  originally  nested
> list.  He wrote:
>
> > Bulleted lists are displayed as the same style
>
> In   the  resulting  document  the  items  different
> styles, but the indent is overridden in all so  that
> the  list looks flat, *as if* its items had the same
> style.
>
> --

* Re: display list bullets
@ 2020-08-21 13:45           ` Anton Shepelev
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-21 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dmitriy Krasilnikov:

> Look  into  the  1_en.docx thoroughly. There is no
> multilevel list  there -- there's  a  single-level
> list  where  each  element  is  bound to different
> style.

Thank you, Dmitry -- that explains it.  The snag  is
in  the  poorly formatted Word document.  Instead of
trying to make Pandoc work with broken documents one
should fix one's documents.

* Re: display list bullets
       [not found]       ` <20200821155942.ffeb275a81d1dc390743cbc2-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-21 15:21         ` BPJ
       [not found]           ` <CADAJKhAOWrEfGg_AZHMuokEYpEQ4P34wHZ=OeND4kdHjHhWVSA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2020-08-21 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den fre 21 aug. 2020 15:00Anton Shepelev <anton.txt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> BPJ:
>
> > Pandoc's  internal  representation does not retain
> > information on which bullet list markers were used
> > in  the  original. Try converting from Markdown to
> > Markdown: you will see that all list markers  come
> > out as hyphens.
>
> I  think  Serge's problem is not the specific bullet
> marker but the flattening of  an  originally  nested
> list.

I realized that some time after hitting "Send". Sorry!

As for the custom-style attribute it (as yet) only works for paragraph
styles (via divs) and for character styles (via spans), not for list or
table styles, so those will in any case have to be applied manually (unless
there is a suitable library for manipulating DOCX and one e.g. inserts some
special character into a list item for the program to look for to signal
that a list (item) shall have a certain style, but just applying styles
manually is probably easier!)

He wrote:

> > Bulleted lists are displayed as the same style
>
> In   the  resulting  document  the  items  different
> styles, but the indent is overridden in all so  that
> the  list looks flat, *as if* its items had the same
> style.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20200821155942.ffeb275a81d1dc390743cbc2%40gmail.com
> .

* Re: display list bullets
       [not found]           ` <CADAJKhAOWrEfGg_AZHMuokEYpEQ4P34wHZ=OeND4kdHjHhWVSA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-21 15:58             ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]               ` <CALu=v3LSYtiNjZqUucjkKGFeTOnTF0k=k2KPut1mZVYL3ioOYw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-08-21 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You could use a filter to apply docx directly - assuming you know what you
were looking for and what to add.

I've done a few filters that write out Docx/ooxml for functionality not
doable otherwise.  Works great.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 11:21 AM BPJ <bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> --
> Better --help|less than helpless
>
> Den fre 21 aug. 2020 15:00Anton Shepelev <anton.txt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:
>
>> BPJ:
>>
>> > Pandoc's  internal  representation does not retain
>> > information on which bullet list markers were used
>> > in  the  original. Try converting from Markdown to
>> > Markdown: you will see that all list markers  come
>> > out as hyphens.
>>
>> I  think  Serge's problem is not the specific bullet
>> marker but the flattening of  an  originally  nested
>> list.
>

> I realized that some time after hitting "Send". Sorry!
>
> As for the custom-style attribute it (as yet) only works for paragraph
> styles (via divs) and for character styles (via spans), not for list or
> table styles, so those will in any case have to be applied manually (unless
> there is a suitable library for manipulating DOCX and one e.g. inserts some
> special character into a list item for the program to look for to signal
> that a list (item) shall have a certain style, but just applying styles
> manually is probably easier!)
>
> He wrote:
>>
>> > Bulleted lists are displayed as the same style
>>
>> In   the  resulting  document  the  items  different
>> styles, but the indent is overridden in all so  that
>> the  list looks flat, *as if* its items had the same
>> style.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20200821155942.ffeb275a81d1dc390743cbc2%40gmail.com
>> .