I understand the answer. The reason that I ask is that many user applications, such as editors and other writing tools, are using Pandoc for writing printable or distribution-ready output documents. Some simply invoke the command through the system, yet others are including a copy of Pandoc in their distribution. The latter approach circumvents the uncertainty of dependence on a system installation, but at the cost of bloating distribution size. And yet, of the many capabilities of Pandoc, it is unlikely more than a select few are needed by any particular application of the above kind. This observation leads me to wonder whether it is possible, at least in principle, to achieve a substantially smaller executable size that offers a specific selection of the full application's capabilities. I understand that the current design would not make such a possibility immediately feasible. Still, I think the question is useful to consider. Because of library dependencies, and the question of which libraries may be unnecessary in specific cases, it very difficult for me, at the moment, to address quantitatively how much smaller the footprint might be for some particular case, if internal and external and components could be excluded that are not required by a given set of needs. I do notice that the readers and writers collectively consume about 80% of the core application source code. On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 11:51:20 AM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote: > > > If you want just some of pandoc's features you'd have to do > surgery on the source code. Not recommended unless you know > your way around with Haskell. Of course the GPL permits > this kind of alteration, and distribution of the result, > provided the terms of the license are followed. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a9b39338-0830-45dc-bf30-59d8de61278b%40googlegroups.com.