* Scrivener->pandoc->DOCX rogue footnote problems
@ 2018-08-10  0:59 AnnFran
       [not found] ` <61cdd877-96d0-4889-8668-7312b7f5b953-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: AnnFran @ 2018-08-10  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Having spent an inordinate about of time working out a functional workflow
from Scrivener to Word through pandoc with Zotero references, I am left
with one weird problem that I have not been able to solve despite searching
all relevant manuals and user forums. (Actually, I have a couple of other
issues too, but first things first.) Since I really don't know whether this
problem is more relevant to Scrivener or pandoc, I'm posting this to both
forums and will share any answers I get.

To set the scene:

1) I am using the most recent version of all three programs.
2) I have used zotpick-pandoc_Scrivener to create citekey references in
Scrivener.
3) I have created an export .bib file from Zotero using BetterBibLaTex.
4) I compile using an edited version of MultiMarkdown.
5) In case it matters, I prefer using free-floating footnote references (so
I use a tilda as an anchor rather than a highlighted word.)
6) I do the pandoc conversion using the following command line in terminal:
pandoc --bibliography=MY_Zotero_refs.bib -s MY_compiled_doc.txt -o
output.docx --csl=chicago.csl -f markdown -t docx. (Note: I started
figuring out to do this using the following web site, but I couldn't make
the code work as it was described here: http://survivestatistics.com/scrivener-
... mac-users/
<http://survivestatistics.com/scrivener-zotero-pandoc-integration-for-mac-users/>.
Much googling later, I came up with this syntax, which seems to work fine.)
7) I have what seems to be an otherwise perfectly functional reference.docx
in my .pandoc hidden folder.

My Problem: Rogue (and seemingly random) footnote errors

Most of my footnotes have been translated more or less perfectly (a total
of 155 footnotes). (I'm sure there is always a bit of tweaking that will
need to be done. But either the Multimarkdown compile format I am using or
the pandoc translation (I have no idea which) is gagging on precisely
seven, seemingly quite different types of Zotero references. I get no error
when I run pandoc, but the footnote is empty, and then any subsequent
citations of that reference have only a single digit, followed by a comma
and the page range (which I entered manually into Scrivener). I have
attached a PDF of the Word output file. (I stripped the text down to the
minimum and added a second page with the bibliographic output for the
affected citations creating using the "Create Bibliography from items"
command directly from Zotero.) I've pasted the BetterBibLaTex output for
these citations below my message. You can see that this file does turn up
some error messages, but there is no logic to too them (similar error
messages did not lead to problems with other citations), I did manage to
fix a couple of similarly affected citations by tweaking the information in
Zotero. (In one case, a title that started with a word in All-caps seemed
to be the problem.) But I cannot figure out what is going on with the rest
of them.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

REFERENCES

@book{hirschfeldTransvestitenUntersuchungUeber1910,
  langid = {german},
  location = {{Berlin}},
  title = {Die Transvestiten: Eine Untersuchung \"uber den erotischen
Verkleidungstrieb},
  publisher = {{Alfred Pulvermacher \& Co.}},
  date = {1910},
  author = {Hirschfeld, Magnus}
}

@book{doblerZwischenDuldungspolitikUnd2008,
  langid = {german},
  location = {{Frankfurt a.M.}},
  title = {Zwischen Duldungspolitik und Verbrechensbek\"ampfung:
Homosexuellenverfolgung durch die Berliner Polizei von 1848 bis 1933},
  publisher = {{Verlag f\"ur Polizeiwissenschaft}},
  date = {2008},
  author = {Dobler, Jens}
}

@article{anon.SexOperationSelf1953,
  entrysubtype = {newspaper},
  location = {{San Francisco}},
  title = {Sex {{Operation}} on {{Self Fails XXX}} Check Publication},
  abstract = {full text attached in note},
  journaltitle = {San Francisco Examiner},
  date = {1953-08-19},
  author = {Anon.}
}
% == BibLateX quality report for anon.SexOperationSelf1953:
% Unexpected field 'location'

@article{cauldwellPsychopathiaTransexualis2001,
  title = {Psychopathia {{Transexualis}}},
  volume = {5},
  abstract = {(Originally published in Sexology, vol. 16, 1949, pp.
274-280. Copyright, 1949, by Sexology Magazine.)
http://www.iiav.nl/ezines/web/ijt/97-03/numbers/symposion/cauldwell\_02.htm},
  number = {2},
  journaltitle = {The International Journal of Transgenderism},
  date = {2001},
  author = {Cauldwell, David Oliver}
}
% == BibLateX quality report for cauldwellPsychopathiaTransexualis2001:
% ? Title looks like it was stored in title-case in Zotero

@online{anon.HarryBenjaminPart2012,
  title = {Harry {{Benjamin}}: Part 2 Rejuvenation},
  url =
{https://zagria.blogspot.com/2012/10/harry-benjamin-part-2-rejuvenation_5.html},
  shorttitle = {Harry {{Benjamin}}},
  urldate = {2018-08-04},
  date = {2012-10-05},
  author = {Anon.}
}

@misc{strykerAleshiaBrevardCrenshaw1997,
  langid = {english},
  title = {Aleshia {{Brevard Crenshaw Interviews}}: {{First Interview}},
{{Watsonville}}, {{California}}},
  url = {http://www.glbthistory.org},
  abstract = {In Co-operation with Joanne Meyerowitz, University of
Cincinnati and the Gay and Lesbian Historical Society of Northern
California. Recorded at Lucas's home in San Francisco},
  urldate = {2016-05-05},
  date = {1997-08-02},
  editora = {Stryker, Susan},
  editoratype = {collaborator}
}
% == BibLateX quality report for strykerAleshiaBrevardCrenshaw1997:
% Unexpected field 'editora'
% Unexpected field 'editoratype'
% ? Title looks like it was stored in title-case in Zotero

@article{hirschfeldIntersexuelleKonstitution1923,
  langid = {german},
  title = {Die intersexuelle Konstitution},
  volume = {23},
  journaltitle = {Jahrbuch f\"ur sexuelle Zwischenstufen},
  date = {1923},
  pages = {3-27},
  author = {Hirschfeld, Magnus}
}

[-- Attachment #2: footnote problem.pdf --]

* Re: Scrivener->pandoc->DOCX rogue footnote problems
       [not found] ` <61cdd877-96d0-4889-8668-7312b7f5b953-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-08-10  4:12   ` John MacFarlane
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-08-10  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AnnFran, pandoc-discuss

Can you try to prune things down to get a minimal
example?  That is, a _short_ markdown source + bib file
+ exact command line used to produce the output?

Then we can check it out and see better what might be
happening here.

@ 2018-08-10  4:55   ` AnnFran
       [not found]     ` <394df501-b036-49eb-ba34-20a3a42374c9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: AnnFran @ 2018-08-10  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Darn. I'm sorry. I really thought I had parsed things down. But here are
examples on the basis of just two references:

*The Markdown Source for two references (one repeated and one with text in
the note):*
arguments about diversity.[^fn1]

interwar Berlin.[^fn2]

in a 1949 article [^fn3]

[^fn1]: @hirschfeldTransvestitenUntersuchungUeber1910.

[^fn2]: @hirschfeldTransvestitenUntersuchungUeber1910, 4-5.

[^fn3]: @cauldwellPsychopathiaTransexualis1949. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et
dolore magna aliqua.

*The .BIB source for these two citations:*

[...]

*The precise command line I used in terminal: *

pandoc --bibliography=MY_Zotero_refs.bib -s MY_compiled_doc.txt -o
output.docx --csl=chicago.csl -f markdown -t docx

The Word output in the footnotes (with brackets to denote superscript. Line
starting with the 6. is what was generated for FN 3):

 [1]
 [2]
 [3]  1, 4-5.

6.    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do
eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Dictum at
tempor commodo ullamcorper. Nibh venenatis cras sed felis eget velit. Orci
phasellus egestas tellus rutrum tellus pellentesque eu tincidunt tortor.

@ 2018-08-10  5:17       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-08-10  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AnnFran, pandoc-discuss

OK, I think I see what's happening here!

If you don't know about it, look in the manual for
pandoc's example list syntax.  Here's a numbered
example list:

@foo. first item.
@bar. second item.

You can refer back to it like this: in item @bar, blah
blah.

So, I suspect that what's happening in your case is
that

@hirschfeldTransvestitenUntersuchungUeber1910.

and

@cauldwellPsychopathiaTransexualis1949.

are being parsed as example lists.  This causes
the other occurrence of

@hirschfeldTransvestitenUntersuchungUeber1910,

to be parsed as a reference back to the example list.

(The syntax overlap is unfortunate.)

Try disabling example lists (-f
markdown-example_lists), or, if you need them,
backslash-escape the periods to prevent these from
being interpreted as list markers.

@ 2018-08-10 15:32   ` AnnFran
       [not found]     ` <9b71ffb8-66ab-47af-9158-d22c8c39fc50-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: AnnFran @ 2018-08-10 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

No love. I entered the following command:

pandoc --bibliography=Trans.bib -s Intimacy.txt -o output.docx -f
markdown-example_lists --csl=chicago.csl -t docx

This produced the following error messages in terminal:

pandoc-citeproc: reference hirschfeldTransvestitenUntersuchungUber1910 not
found
pandoc-citeproc: reference hirschfeldTransvestitenUntersuchungUber1910 not
found
pandoc-citeproc: reference hirschfeldmagnusIntersexuelleKonstitution1923
not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference cauldwellPsychopathiaTransexualis1949 not found

And in the Word output, I now get two bolded question marks with a period
where the citation should be. (At least the weird extra space and list
formatting is gone though!)

But this did, mysteriously, fix one of the seven references I'm having
trouble with. The .bib output for that one looks like this:

@ 2018-08-10 17:40       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-08-10 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AnnFran, pandoc-discuss

Check your bib file and make sure you have records for
each of these citation ids.  The one you gave me above
doesn't contain a reference for
cauldwellPsychopathiaTransexualis1949.
It has, instead, cauldwellPsychopathiaTransexualis2001.

When I fix your sample input (above) to reflect this,
it gives correct results for the minimal sample with
-f markdown-example_lists.

If you are still having problems, please, again, post
a minimal example to reproduce them.

* Re: Scrivener->pandoc->DOCX rogue footnote problems
       [not found] ` <61cdd877-96d0-4889-8668-7312b7f5b953-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-13 16:08   ` AnnFran
From: AnnFran @ 2018-08-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)