Hi @Kolen Can you explain the pun on pan? I don't get it... (may be because I'm not > native in English). > > pun: a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings. more than all I though it was also self-referential to the "pun" itself (being "pan" pronounced in a very closely manner) > And I think the handle on the logo makes the 2 corners on the top left and > bottom right too much empty space. If the logo is to be refined, may be the > handle can be made much shorter, perhaps thicker, kind of cute way. > I absolutely agree. I had some dfficoulties though, I've googled for pans icons and realized that most of them were not clearly perceivable as frying pans — like you said, it can be mistaken for a magnifying glass. In monochrome is difficoult to render the border of the pan. > Another idea to treat the empty space is to put another document on the > outer border. But I'm not sure "document within document" has the right > message. > Maybe the best thing is to try ideas directly in some graphic design software — seeing is stronger than imagining. Sometimes I got best results by just playing around until I got an image that clicked as being the right one. The reason why I liked the frying pan is because there are also other linguistic association with cookery: - We usually have a "Cookbook" for everything computer-related. - Markdown comes in "flavors" — again, a taste/food association - There are quite a few tools out there with names like "Chef", "Gourmet", ecc. But really, it was more a proposal to look into a logo which could be simple and immediate. I've found some of the logo ideas/sketches presente here as being a bit too sofistaced — which doesn't mean I don't personally like them, I'm just saying they might convey an image of pandoc being a complicate tool, for experts-only. References to Greek, mythology, maths symbols, and the like, are probably going to convey an image of complexity which might constrast with pandoc's nature as a tool that simplifies task, rather than adding complexity. Triangles tend to be associated with corporate logos. I think there is an expectation when it comes to logos, somehow we have an average perception of what a corporate logo should like like, and what a FOSS software logo might look like. For example, many popular FOSS projects have logos depicting animals, or simple icons-like images. Corporate logos tend to focus on geometrical shapes like triangles, square, circles. Apple is an evident exception — and its logo has been very successful and popular. Of course, these are general consideration, not exact rules. Symbols are really a complicate subject matter. Artists warn us that "a pipe is not always a pipe", but psychonalists admit that "a cigar sometimes is just a cigar". The layman is left wondering what he has been *really *smoking all of his life — and not without the feeling that symbols-experts have been hidying something from him, or that they are jusging him somehow negatively. I say: "A frying pan is just a frying pan!" -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/ac3d31b7-2f8d-49ae-8c57-30a3d67c612e%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.