* PHP Colouring without the open tag
@ 2012-12-19 15:44 emacstheviking
       [not found] ` <5c616bdb-8f44-4b15-9b80-c80dc8c485d8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: emacstheviking @ 2012-12-19 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am currently on a documentation binge and using Pandoc but I have just
found that it will not apply syntax colouring to sections:

~~~~{.php}
function foo() {
}
~~~~

but only if the section is entered as:

~~~~{.php}
<?php
function foo() {
}
~~~~

I am using a preprocessor I wrote to generate the final Pandoc and
automatically adding the open tag into the final file for Pandoc to
transmogrify into HTML and PDF formats. The preprocessor allows me to slice
bits of "real" files into the output so that the documentation is linked
with the code as it changes... kind of LP but in reverse.

Is there a way that I can make it do this without too much trouble or
should I just use "C" mode instead maybe?

Thanks,
Sean Charles.

* Re: PHP Colouring without the open tag
       [not found] ` <5c616bdb-8f44-4b15-9b80-c80dc8c485d8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-01-04 16:05   ` John MacFarlane
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-01-04 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The highlighting is done by the highlighting-kate library, which
derives Haskell parsers from Kate editor syntax description
files.  My guess is that the Kate syntax file for PHP expects
the '<$php'.  If you get the source for highlighting-kate, you'll
see instructions for modifying syntax descriptions and recompiling
the library.  You could try that (and then you'll have to make
sure you compile pandoc against the modified version of
highlighting-kate).  Let me know if you run into difficulties.

+++ emacstheviking [Dec 19 12 07:44 ]:

@ 2013-01-04 16:12   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-01-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

PS.  The php.xml file contains

      <context name="start" lineEndContext="#stay" attribute="Normal Text">
        <RegExpr context="phpsource" attribute="Keyword" String="&lt;\?(?:=|php)?" insensitive="true" />
        <StringDetect attribute="Keyword" context="#pop" String="?&gt;" />
      </context>
      <context name="phpsource" attribute="PHP Text" lineEndContext="#stay">

I think it would work just to remove the "start" context, so that "phpsource"
is the first context.  Then

    make prep

to regenerate the parsers.  You can then 'cabal install' to install the library,
or, if you're building the dev version of pandoc using the recommended Makefile,
go to the pandoc directory and 'cabal-dev add-source /PATH/TO/highlighting-kate',
then 'cabal-dev install --reinstall --force-reinstalls highlighting-kate',
then 'make install'.

@ 2013-10-04 23:07   ` Vinai Kopp
       [not found]     ` <4f8547e1-562d-462a-a82b-048609b5870a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vinai Kopp @ 2013-10-04 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

also trying to syntax highlight PHP code without an opening <?php tag. Do I
need to rebuild pandoc after rebuilding the highlighting-kate parsers?

I've rebuilt the parsers using

    runghc ParseSyntaxFiles.hs xml

and then cabal installed highlighting-kate from the source dir, which gave
me:

    highlighting-kate-0.5.5 (reinstall) changes: filepath-1.3.0.1 added
    Warning: Note that reinstalls are always dangerous. Continuing anyway...
    Configuring highlighting-kate-0.5.5...
    Building highlighting-kate-0.5.5...
    Installed highlighting-kate-0.5.5

So far pandoc isn't picking up any changes, so now I'm wondering: do I have
to rebuild pandoc, too, to pick up the changes? I'm just fumbling along
since I'm afraid I don't know Haskell.

Thanks!

@ 2013-10-05  0:12       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20131005001249.GA25501-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-05  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Vinai Kopp [Oct 04 13 16:07 ]:
>    Hi,
>    also trying to syntax highlight PHP code without an opening <?php tag.
>    Do I need to rebuild pandoc after rebuilding the highlighting-kate
>    parsers?
>    I've rebuilt the parsers using
>        runghc ParseSyntaxFiles.hs xml
>    and then cabal installed highlighting-kate from the source dir, which
>    gave me:
>        highlighting-kate-0.5.5 (reinstall) changes: filepath-1.3.0.1 added
>        Warning: Note that reinstalls are always dangerous. Continuing
>    anyway...
>        Configuring highlighting-kate-0.5.5...
>        Building highlighting-kate-0.5.5...
>        Installed highlighting-kate-0.5.5
>    So far pandoc isn't picking up any changes, so now I'm wondering: do I
>    have to rebuild pandoc, too, to pick up the changes? I'm just fumbling
>    along since I'm afraid I don't know Haskell.

Exactly, you have to rebuild pandoc too.  By default, ghc statically links
libraries into binaries, so the old version of highlighting-kate is
still linked into your pandoc.

John

@ 2013-10-05  7:35           ` Vinai Kopp
From: Vinai Kopp @ 2013-10-05  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you John, it works great now! Wonderful!

If someone else stumbles over this thread: one thing to note is that the
rebuilt pandoc is installed in $HOME/.cabal/bin. Put that in your $PATH
before /usr/local/bin and you are all set.

Vinai

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 2:12:49 AM UTC+2, fiddlosopher wrote:

> +++ Vinai Kopp [Oct 04 13 16:07 ]:
> >    Hi,
> >    also trying to syntax highlight PHP code without an opening <?php
> tag.
> >    Do I need to rebuild pandoc after rebuilding the highlighting-kate
> >    parsers?
> >    I've rebuilt the parsers using
> >        runghc ParseSyntaxFiles.hs xml
> >    and then cabal installed highlighting-kate from the source dir, which
> >    gave me:
> >        highlighting-kate-0.5.5 (reinstall) changes: filepath-1.3.0.1
> added
> >        Warning: Note that reinstalls are always dangerous. Continuing
> >    anyway...
> >        Configuring highlighting-kate-0.5.5...
> >        Building highlighting-kate-0.5.5...
> >        Installed highlighting-kate-0.5.5
> >    So far pandoc isn't picking up any changes, so now I'm wondering: do
> >    have to rebuild pandoc, too, to pick up the changes? I'm just
> fumbling
> >    along since I'm afraid I don't know Haskell.
>
> Exactly, you have to rebuild pandoc too.  By default, ghc statically links
> libraries into binaries, so the old version of highlighting-kate is
> still linked into your pandoc.
>
> John

* Re: PHP Colouring without the open tag
       [not found] ` <5c616bdb-8f44-4b15-9b80-c80dc8c485d8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-29 15:31   ` Oscar Merida
From: Oscar Merida @ 2014-04-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On a related note, I found that pygments supports php without the opening
brace via a "startinline" option. Is there a way to set that and pass it to
the pygments per code block?

@ 2014-06-16 13:02           ` Vinai Kopp
       [not found]             ` <d32d1037-b6d7-4450-a6b5-adb9c1e6f43f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vinai Kopp @ 2014-06-16 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pulling up this old thread:
just built highlighting-kate-0.5.8.2 and pandoc-1.12.5 from source again to
get the updates to the epub writer.
The problem is, pandoc no longer picks up the modified syntax declaration
from the kate library, even though it does pick up the new version there:

% pandoc --version
pandoc 1.12.5
Compiled with texmath 0.6.6.3, highlighting-kate 0.5.8.2.

The only change to the current highlighting-kate HEAD is that the first
context is commented out in xml/php.xml.

      <!-- Remove start context to enable php highlighting without <?*
      <context name="start" lineEndContext="#stay" attribute="Normal Text">
        <RegExpr context="phpsource" attribute="Keyword"
String="&lt;\?(?:=|php)?" insensitive="true" />
        <StringDetect attribute="Keyword" context="#pop" String="?&gt;" />
      </context>
      -->

Any pointer what might be wrong?

Thank you very much,