* Modifying metadata elements with Lua filter
@ 2023-06-14 16:47 Stephan Boltzmann
       [not found] ` <19962c60-238b-4ef4-bad6-a8200ca9a3cen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Boltzmann @ 2023-06-14 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello everybody out there using Pandoc,

For the following short document,
---
title: Test
author:
  - Author A
  - Author B
---
# Introduction

I would expect the Lua filter

function Meta (m)
    print(pandoc.utils.stringify(m.author[1].MetaInlines[2]))
end

to print out "A", but it prints nothing at all.

What is the conceptual misunderstanding I have here?

* Re: Modifying metadata elements with Lua filter
       [not found] ` <19962c60-238b-4ef4-bad6-a8200ca9a3cen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-06-14 16:54   ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <CAEe_xxgBZqBv5xT85kirY0WoBS3VJZy8R36f7hQxp5sZo38nSA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-06-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Your metadata has this structure (hmm... perhaps some of the Inlines are
really MetaInlines, in which case that's a problem with my logging module):

(#) meta Meta {
  author: List[2] {
    [1] Inlines[3] {
      [1] Str "Author"
      [2] Space
      [3] Str "A"
    }
    [2] Inlines[3] {
      [1] Str "Author"
      [2] Space
      [3] Str "B"
    }
  }
  title: Inlines[1] {
    [1] Str "Test"
  }
}

... so I think you want this filter (MetaInlines isn't an attribute name,
and you have to count the space):

function Meta (m)
    print(pandoc.utils.stringify(m.author[1][3]))
end

@ 2023-06-15 15:17       ` Stephan Boltzmann
       [not found]         ` <64f0f40b-5c49-47fa-97f5-f824735f6cebn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Boltzmann @ 2023-06-15 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks a lot for your help, which enabled me to write the following short
filter, which puts the name of all authors on the same line in 'docx'
output, while preserving the nice default layout in 'latex' output.
Debugging filters working on the yaml metadata provided a particular
challenge to me:

function Meta (m)
  if FORMAT:match 'docx' then
        authors = m.author[1] .. {pandoc.Str(', ')} .. m.author[2]
        m.author = pandoc.MetaInlines(authors)
  end
  return m
end

It only handles two and not more authors, but in my case, that's fine.

@ 2023-06-15 16:35           ` BPJ
       [not found]             ` <CADAJKhBGcd4TracBv-Xy_K4-sx_Qy688WZCcZNa1+cU0Yc4Daw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2023-06-15 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It is better to not hard code the number of authors:

``````lua
function Meta (meta)
  if 'docx' == FORMAT then
    if 'List' ~= pandoc.utils.type(meta.author) then
      -- hopefully Inlines
      return nil
    elseif 1 == #meta.author then -- only one
      meta.author = meta.author[1]
    else -- more than one
      -- Define once, use many times
      local sep = pandoc.Inlines(", ") -- DWIM
      -- Initialize to an empty list and use `:extend` to populate
      local authors = pandoc.Inlines({ })
      -- Loop through any number of authors
      for i, author in ipairs(meta.author) do
        if 1 == i then -- no comma for the first
          authors:extend(author)
        else -- append ", A. U. Thor"
          authors:extend(sep .. author)
        end