* Use of RCS with pandoc YAML blocks
@ 2014-06-25 10:52 Pete Phillips
       [not found] ` <b2239f27-e27b-466c-a625-24df5add19a5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-06-25 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all.

I'm trying to use RCS within pandoc YAML blocks, but I am confused.

Note that I know I can do this with templates, but if I can do within YAML
that would be much more flexible for me.

This is the code I am using:

---
title: SMTL Document
revision: "$Revision: 1.1 $"
date: "$Date: 2014/06/25 10:41:46 $"
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{fancyhdr}
    - \usepackage{lastpage}
    - \usepackage{rcs}
    - \RCS $revision$
    - \pagestyle{fancy}
    - \fancyhead[CO,CE]{$title$}
    - \fancyhead[RO,RE]{}
    - \fancyhead[LO,LE]{}
    - \fancyfoot[LO,LE]{$date$}
    - \fancyfoot[CO,CE]{RCSRevision}
    - \fancyfoot[RE,RO]{\thepage / \pageref{LastPage}}
author: Pete Phillips
---

So my thinking here is that I can use the variables declared in the YAML
block elsewhere in the document.

However, from the

\fancyhead[CO,CE]{$title$}

line I just get the word "title" on the page. The YAML variable
substitution doesn't appear to have worked (it may be that it can't work
outside a template ?)

Attempt number 2  is more the classic latex/RCS solution. (I'm ignoring the
YAML variables now and just using the YAML block as an area to process a
bunch of standard latex commands).

---
title: SMTL Document
revision: "$Revision: 1.3 $"
date: "$Date: 2014/06/25 10:46:23 $"
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{fancyhdr}
    - \usepackage{lastpage}
    - \usepackage{rcs}
    - \RCS $Revision: 1.3 $
    - \RCS $Date: 2014/06/25 10:46:23 $
    - \pagestyle{fancy}
    - \fancyhead[CO,CE]{$title$}
    - \fancyhead[RO,RE]{}
    - \fancyhead[LO,LE]{}
    - \fancyfoot[LO,LE]{\RCSDate}
    - \fancyfoot[CO,CE]{\RCSRevision}
    - \fancyfoot[RE,RO]{\thepage / \pageref{LastPage}}
author: Pete Phillips
---

However, pandoc won't process this (specifically latex):

*pandoc test.mkd -o test.pdf*

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.60 t

pandoc: Error producing PDF from TeX source

Is there a way to get either of these approaches to work in the main body
of the document ?

Many thanks
Pete

* Re: Use of RCS with pandoc YAML blocks
       [not found] ` <b2239f27-e27b-466c-a625-24df5add19a5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-07-09  7:36   ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]     ` <82c52494-d3e8-418f-b873-cf06c7217f97-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-07-09  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all.

Any help would be appreciated on  this - I can get the basic
header-includes working inside the YAML block but the RCS stuff seems to
cause significant problems.

Pete

@ 2014-07-10  7:14       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-07-10  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Pete Phillips [Jul 09 14 00:36 ]:
>   Hi all.
>   Any help would be appreciated on  this - I can get the basic
>   header-includes working inside the YAML block but the RCS stuff seems
>   to cause significant problems.
>   Pete
>
>   On Wednesday, 25 June 2014 11:52:00 UTC+1, Pete Phillips wrote:
>
>   Hi all.
>   I'm trying to use RCS within pandoc YAML blocks, but I am confused.
>   Note that I know I can do this with templates, but if I can do within
>   YAML that would be much more flexible for me.
>   This is the code I am using:
>
>   ---
>
>   title: SMTL Document
>
>   revision: "$Revision: 1.1 $"
>
>   date: "$Date: 2014/06/25 10:41:46 $"
>
>   header-includes:
>
>       - \usepackage{fancyhdr}
>
>       - \usepackage{lastpage}
>
>       - \usepackage{rcs}
>
>       - \RCS $revision$
>
>       - \pagestyle{fancy}
>
>       - \fancyhead[CO,CE]{$title$}
>
>       - \fancyhead[RO,RE]{}
>
>       - \fancyhead[LO,LE]{}
>
>       - \fancyfoot[LO,LE]{$date$}
>
>       - \fancyfoot[CO,CE]{RCSRevision}
>
>       - \fancyfoot[RE,RO]{\thepage / \pageref{LastPage}}
>
>   author: Pete Phillips
>
>   ---
>
>   So my thinking here is that I can use the variables declared in the
>   YAML block elsewhere in the document.

Yes, in the body of the document, but not elsewhere in the metadata.
The metadata is read and used to populate variables in the template.

>   Attempt number 2  is more the classic latex/RCS solution. (I'm ignoring
>   the YAML variables now and just using the YAML block as an area to
>   process a bunch of standard latex commands).
>
>   ---
>
>   title: SMTL Document
>
>   revision: "$Revision: 1.3 $"
>
>   date: "$Date: 2014/06/25 10:46:23 $"
>
>   header-includes:
>
>       - \usepackage{fancyhdr}
>
>       - \usepackage{lastpage}
>
>       - \usepackage{rcs}
>
>       - \RCS $Revision: 1.3 $
>
>       - \RCS $Date: 2014/06/25 10:46:23 $
>
>       - \pagestyle{fancy}
>
>       - \fancyhead[CO,CE]{$title$}
>
>       - \fancyhead[RO,RE]{}
>
>       - \fancyhead[LO,LE]{}
>
>       - \fancyfoot[LO,LE]{\RCSDate}
>
>       - \fancyfoot[CO,CE]{\RCSRevision}
>
>       - \fancyfoot[RE,RO]{\thepage / \pageref{LastPage}}
>
>   author: Pete Phillips
>
>   ---
>
>   However, pandoc won't process this (specifically latex):
>
>   pandoc test.mkd -o test.pdf

There are probably several issues here.  One is that you
are using unescaped colons in your YAML fields, which confuses
the YAML parser.  (It thinks you're putting a YAML object into
the list item.)  Try enclosing these with single quotes.
I don't predict that will work, but it should help flush out
the real issue.

* Re: Use of RCS with pandoc YAML blocks - SOLVED
@ 2014-07-10  8:11         ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]           ` <b6de5398-e50b-4960-9f21-0071744a3f46-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-07-10  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks John.

Pete>   So my thinking here is that I can use the variables declared in the
> Pete>   YAML block elsewhere in the document.
>
> John> Yes, in the body of the document, but not elsewhere in the metadata.
> John> The metadata is read and used to populate variables in the template.

OK - so that strategy won't work at all from what you are saying - I would
have to use templates.

> Pete>   Attempt number 2  is more the classic latex/RCS solution. (I'm
> ignoring
> Pete>   the YAML variables now and just using the YAML block as an area to
> Pete>   process a bunch of standard latex commands).
> Pete> ......
> Pete>   However, pandoc won't process this (specifically latex):
> Pete>
> Pete>   pandoc test.mkd -o test.pdf
>
> John> There are probably several issues here.  One is that you
> John> are using unescaped colons in your YAML fields, which confuses
> John> the YAML parser.  (It thinks you're putting a YAML object into
> John> the list item.)  Try enclosing these with single quotes.
> John> I don't predict that will work, but it should help flush out
> John> the real issue.

OK -  that gave me the pointer to solve the issue.  This now works.
---
title: Test  Document
revision: '$Revision: 1.2 $'
rcsdate: '$Date: 2014/07/10 07:47:08 $'
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{fancyhdr}
    - \usepackage{lastpage}
    - \usepackage{rcs}
    - '\RCS $Revision: 1.2 $'
    - '\RCS $Date: 2014/07/10 07:47:08 $'
    - \pagestyle{fancy}
    - \fancyfoot[R]{Revision:\ \RCSRevision}
    - \fancyfoot[L]{\RCSDate}
    - \date{\RCSDate}
author: Pete Phillips
---
§ test
test

\newpage

§ more test
test

Note the quotes around

    - '\RCS $Revision: 1.2 $'

I think that's what solved it!  Previously I had tried

    - \RCS '$Revision: 1.2 $'

which gave me the error I saw previously:

   ! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}

Compiling with

    pandoc  testrcs.mkd -o testrcs.pdf

gives no errors, and  I get the correct pdf output.

(Note I was not able to attach a file to this post so the output is in
filebin:  http://filebin.ca/1SodS9Q0N9yQ/testrcs.pdf

@ 2014-08-18 14:30             ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]               ` <19f1dbef-ad4e-401e-b549-dd2154c9c531-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Afternoon all.

Upgraded to the latest of pandoc  (1.13.0.1) today and this broke my rcs
stuff.  Same source as above, but I get this error message now:

! Use of \RCS_get_argument doesn't match its definition.
l.51 \RCS \$

pandoc: Error producing PDF from TeX source

Has the syntax in YAML changed ?

Pete

@ 2014-08-18 19:44                 ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                   ` <20140818194437.GB35861-0VdLhd/A9Pm0ooXD8Eul3WdAkF2ioujlTVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-08-18 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Why don't you produce latex

    pandoc -s -t latex

and examine the resulting latex to see if anything looks wrong.
(You might try comparing it with the result from an earlier version
of pandoc.)

+++ Pete Phillips [Aug 18 14 07:30 ]:

@ 2014-08-19 12:22                     ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]                       ` <c8feaad3-2044-48aa-9fc2-f105aabdd9af-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-19 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all.

On Monday, 18 August 2014 20:44:45 UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Why don't you produce latex
>
>     pandoc -s -t latex
>
> and examine the resulting latex to see if anything looks wrong.

Done this: the issue appears to be pandoc quoting the dollar sign:

\RCS \$Revision: 1.1 \$
\RCS \$Date: 2014/08/18 14:24:49 \$

> (You might try comparing it with the result from an earlier version
> of pandoc.)

I don't have the previous version of pandoc around to try, but the
backslashes are definitely the problem - removing them from the source
latex file fixes it.

Assume that the dollar quoting is new behaviour in the most recent pandoc.

Pete

@ 2014-08-19 13:31                         ` Matthew Pickering
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2014-08-19 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This might be because there has to be a space after the $? Otherwise
markdown such as $2000, $3000 gets parsed incorrectly as math.

@ 2014-08-19 16:45                         ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                           ` <20140819164539.GF17247-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-08-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Pete Phillips [Aug 19 14 05:22 ]:
>   Hi all.
>   On Monday, 18 August 2014 20:44:45 UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:
>
>     Why don't you produce latex
>         pandoc -s -t latex
>     and examine the resulting latex to see if anything looks wrong.
>
>   Done this: the issue appears to be pandoc quoting the dollar sign:
>
>   \RCS \$Revision: 1.1 \$
>
>   \RCS \$Date: 2014/08/18 14:24:49 \$
>

>     (You might try comparing it with the result from an earlier version
>     of pandoc.)
>
>   I don't have the previous version of pandoc around to try, but the
>   backslashes are definitely the problem - removing them from the source
>   latex file fixes it.
>   Assume that the dollar quoting is new behaviour in the most recent
>   pandoc.

It should have always done this.  Dollar signs always need to be
quoted in latex, unless they introduce math.  (Presumably the \RCS command
changes catcodes and the like so that this is not true for its argument,
but that's beyond what pandoc knows about.)

@ 2014-08-20  7:16                             ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]                               ` <c39f2ee3-c05a-45cb-86be-11d134ce999b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-20  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Morning guys.

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 17:45:56 UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:

> >   I don't have the previous version of pandoc around to try, but the
> >   backslashes are definitely the problem - removing them from the source
> >   latex file fixes it.
> >   Assume that the dollar quoting is new behaviour in the most recent
> >   pandoc.
>
> It should have always done this.  Dollar signs always need to be
> quoted in latex, unless they introduce math.

So something clearly must have changed between  pandoc 1.12.4.2 (14 May
2014) and this weeks version.

Is there a way to reinstall  1.12.4.2 alongside the current version  ?   (I
use the cabal install pandoc pandoc-citeproc method to install pandoc) .

Is there a way to prevent the dollar quoting happening in the YAML block (I
appreciate that you need to be able to use dollar signs in the text without
requiriong them to be quoted).

Pete

@ 2014-08-20  8:11                                 ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                                   ` <CALuQ0m_eY+bY0wfmwEQaAV88tUn+V8Jw4T4KTtBPAA0+1Boi7Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2014-08-20  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

mkdir pandoc-1.12
cd pandoc-1.12
cabal sandbox init
cabal install pandoc-1.12.4.2

Then the old version will be in .cabal-sandbox/bin

@ 2014-08-20 13:57                                     ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]                                       ` <ac2faa29-074d-4d46-984c-19b6a6e9774a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-20 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Matthew and John.

On Wednesday, 20 August 2014 09:11:21 UTC+1, Matthew Pickering wrote:

> mkdir pandoc-1.12
> cd pandoc-1.12
> cabal sandbox init
> cabal install pandoc-1.12.4.2
>
> Then the old version will be in .cabal-sandbox/bin

Hmm - my version of cabal is 1.16.0.  Sandboxes are in 1.18.0.

Is there any method that can be used to avoid the quoting in the YAML
blocks ?   I suspect t hat may resolve my problem.

Pete

@ 2014-08-20 14:30                                         ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]                                           ` <9326fed8-88cc-44ee-a3bf-574311e40da9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-20 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started down this road!

Installed latest cabal (1.21.0.0) and uninstalled the Ubuntu package.

Ran:

mkdir pandoc-1.12
cd pandoc-1.12
cabal sandbox init
cabal install pandoc-1.12.4.2

and get the error below.    Any idea why I'm getting these ?

Petetextex

Resolving dependencies...
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             (
/tmp/pandoc-1.12.4.2-16568/pandoc-1.12.4.2/dist/dist-sandbox-9ec3ec4/setup/setup.hs,
/tmp/pandoc-1.12.4.2-16568/pandoc-1.12.4.2/dist/dist-sandbox-9ec3ec4/setup/Main.o
)

/tmp/pandoc-1.12.4.2-16568/pandoc-1.12.4.2/dist/dist-sandbox-9ec3ec4/setup/setup.hs:44:23:
    Couldn't match expected type `TestFlags'
                with actual type `UserHooks'
    In the expression: flags
    In the third argument of `test', namely
      `flags
         {testOptions = toPathTemplate (buildDir lbi) : testOptions flags}'
    In the expression:
      test
        pkg
        lbi
        (flags
           {testOptions = toPathTemplate (buildDir lbi) : testOptions
flags})

/tmp/pandoc-1.12.4.2-16568/pandoc-1.12.4.2/dist/dist-sandbox-9ec3ec4/setup/setup.hs:44:23:
    Couldn't match expected type `LocalBuildInfo'
                with actual type `TestFlags'
    In the third argument of `test', namely
      `flags
         {testOptions = toPathTemplate (buildDir lbi) : testOptions flags}'
    In the expression:
      test
        pkg
        lbi
        (flags
           {testOptions = toPathTemplate (buildDir lbi) : testOptions
flags})
    In the `testHook' field of a record

/tmp/pandoc-1.12.4.2-16568/pandoc-1.12.4.2/dist/dist-sandbox-9ec3ec4/setup/setup.hs:45:41:
    Couldn't match expected type `LocalBuildInfo'
                with actual type `PackageDescription'
    In the first argument of `buildDir', namely `lbi'
    In the first argument of `toPathTemplate', namely `(buildDir lbi)'
    In the first argument of `(:)', namely
      `toPathTemplate (buildDir lbi)'

/tmp/pandoc-1.12.4.2-16568/pandoc-1.12.4.2/dist/dist-sandbox-9ec3ec4/setup/setup.hs:45:60:
    Couldn't match expected type `TestFlags'
                with actual type `UserHooks'
    In the first argument of `testOptions', namely `flags'
    In the second argument of `(:)', namely `testOptions flags'
    In the `testOptions' field of a record
Failed to install pandoc-1.12.4.2
pandoc-1.12.4.2 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

@ 2014-08-20 15:01                                             ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                                               ` <CALuQ0m9dcXhOwf7HFAbSogBwv78nnh7g7Gg_-j3ydja3RpyX2w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2014-08-20 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is because they changed the cabal API on that release so our
Setup.hs file broke. I'm not sure how to fix it apart from use cabal
1.20 rather than the development version. (This is fixed in the 1.13
release.)

@ 2014-08-20 15:42                                                 ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]                                                   ` <9caf551f-a3ff-4d61-bf91-389f7260db03-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-20 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hmm.  OK.

I'll junk that idea then.  So the code I used above really did work on the
previous version of pandoc.  Not the end of the world if I can't reproduce
it now.

Something happened in between 1.12 and 1.13 which dealt with the quoting of
the dollar sign (perhaps only in the YAML header ?).

If it was possible to revert to that behaviour for the YAML block I would
be a happy bunny.  Is that possible ?

Pete

@ 2014-08-20 16:32                                                     ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                       ` <20140820163235.GA18332-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-08-20 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Pete Phillips [Aug 20 14 08:42 ]:
>   Hmm.  OK.
>   I'll junk that idea then.  So the code I used above really did work on
>   the previous version of pandoc.  Not the end of the world if I can't
>   reproduce it now.
>   Something happened in between 1.12 and 1.13 which dealt with the
>   quoting of the dollar sign (perhaps only in the YAML header ?).

The difference is explained by the following item in the changelog:

    + Inline math must have nonspace before final `$` (#1313).

In 1.12.4, your RCS string was being erroneously parsed as LaTeX
math.  This had the good consequence (for you) that it was rendered
verbatim, without escaping the $'s.  But this was a bug in the markdown
reader, which has now been fixed.

>   If it was possible to revert to that behaviour for the YAML block I
>   would be a happy bunny.  Is that possible ?

Sorry, no.  I did think of a workaround which is a bit kludgy, but might
work.  Suppose you defined a do-nothing macro \noop{..}, then enclosed
your RCS in that:

    \noop{\RCS $blah blah $}

This will be parsed as raw latex, and the whole thing will go through the
writer without escaping.  (You'll need to make sure you're using
--parse-raw with the reader, as you probably already are.)

Maybe it's even possible to define a macro in your preamble:

\def\rcs{#1}{\RCS #1}

and then just do

\rcs{$blah blah $}

I haven't tested this, though.

@ 2014-08-21  9:16                                                         ` Pete Phillips
       [not found]                                                           ` <d77c8bf8-79c6-4643-82d6-407611fc2d13-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-21  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi John.

On Wednesday, 20 August 2014 17:32:55 UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:

> The difference is explained by the following item in the changelog:
>
>     + Inline math must have nonspace before final `$` (#1313).
>
> In 1.12.4, your RCS string was being erroneously parsed as LaTeX
> math.  This had the good consequence (for you) that it was rendered
> verbatim, without escaping the $'s.  But this was a bug in the markdown
> reader, which has now been fixed.

OK - that explains my few months of happiness then. ;-)

> >   If it was possible to revert to that behaviour for the YAML block I
> >   would be a happy bunny.  Is that possible ?
>
> Sorry, no.  I did think of a workaround which is a bit kludgy, but might
> work.  Suppose you defined a do-nothing macro \noop{..}, then enclosed
> your RCS in that:
>
>     \noop{\RCS $blah blah $}

I have tried this:
---
title: Test  Document
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{fancyhdr}
    - \usepackage{lastpage}
    - \usepackage{rcs}
    - \newcommand{\noop}[1]{}
    - \noop{\RCS $Revision: 1.1 $}
    - \noop{\RCS $Date: 2014/08/18 14:24:49 $}
    - \pagestyle{fancy}
    - \fancyfoot[R]{Revision:\ \RCSRevision}
    - \fancyfoot[L]{\RCSDate}
    - \date{\RCSDate}
author: Pete Phillips
---
§ test
test

\newpage

§ more test
test

And running

 pandoc -s --parse-raw testoldrcs.mkd -o testoldrcs.pdf

I get the error:

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

This is the same error I was getting in the early days of trying this out.
 Previously it was solved by adding quotes -     - '\RCS $Revision: 1.2 $'

but that makes no difference now.  The latex generated is attached. Note
that using --parse-raw makes no difference to the latex code - I get the
same code with of without that option.

Pete

[-- Attachment #2: testoldrcs-parseraw.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 1864 bytes --]

\documentclass[]{article}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
\usepackage{ifxetex,ifluatex}
\usepackage{fixltx2e} % provides \textsubscript
\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\else % if luatex or xelatex
  \ifxetex
    \usepackage{mathspec}
    \usepackage{xltxtra,xunicode}
  \else
    \usepackage{fontspec}
  \fi
  \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase}
  \newcommand{\euro}{€}
\fi
% use upquote if available, for straight quotes in verbatim environments
\IfFileExists{upquote.sty}{\usepackage{upquote}}{}
% use microtype if available
\IfFileExists{microtype.sty}{\usepackage{microtype}}{}
\ifxetex
  \usepackage[setpagesize=false, % page size defined by xetex
              unicode=false, % unicode breaks when used with xetex
              xetex]{hyperref}
\else
  \usepackage[unicode=true]{hyperref}
\fi
\hypersetup{breaklinks=true,
            bookmarks=true,
            pdfauthor={Pete Phillips},
            pdftitle={Test Document},
            colorlinks=true,
            citecolor=blue,
            urlcolor=blue,
            linkcolor=magenta,
            pdfborder={0 0 0}}
\urlstyle{same}  % don't use monospace font for urls
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{6pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}
\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}

\title{Test Document}
\author{Pete Phillips}
\date{}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\usepackage{lastpage}
\usepackage{rcs}
\newcommand{\noop}[1]{}
true
true
\pagestyle{fancy}
\fancyfoot[R]{Revision:\ \RCSRevision}
\fancyfoot[L]{\RCSDate}
\date{\RCSDate}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

\section{test}\label{test}

test

\newpage

\section{more test}\label{more-test}

test

\end{document}

@ 2014-08-22  0:08                                                             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                               ` <20140822000810.GH32670-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-08-22  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I meant for you to define \noop as
\newcommand{\noop}[1]{#1} so it passes through the contained
command.  If you do that, and put in the single quotes so YAML
doesn't get confused, it works:

---
title: Test  Document
header-includes:
  - '\usepackage{fancyhdr}'
  - '\usepackage{lastpage}'
  - '\usepackage{rcs}'
  - '\newcommand{\noop}[1]{#1}'
  - '\noop{\RCS $Revision: 1.1 $}'
  - '\noop{\RCS $Date: 2014/08/18 14:24:49 $}'
  - '\pagestyle{fancy}'
  - '\fancyfoot[R]{Revision:\ \RCSRevision}'
  - '\fancyfoot[L]{\RCSDate}'
  - '\date{\RCSDate}'
author: Pete Phillips

ok
\newpage
then

+++ Pete Phillips [Aug 21 14 02:16 ]:
> [...]

>\IfFileExists{microtype.sty}{\usepackage{microtype}}{}
>\ifxetex
>  \usepackage[setpagesize=false, % page size defined by xetex
>              unicode=false, % unicode breaks when used with xetex
>              xetex]{hyperref}
>\else
>  \usepackage[unicode=true]{hyperref}
>\fi
>\hypersetup{breaklinks=true,
>            bookmarks=true,
>            pdfauthor={Pete Phillips},
>            pdftitle={Test Document},
>            colorlinks=true,
>            citecolor=blue,
>            urlcolor=blue,
>            linkcolor=magenta,
>            pdfborder={0 0 0}}
>\urlstyle{same}  % don't use monospace font for urls
>\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
>\setlength{\parskip}{6pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}
>\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines

* YAML metadata raw fields [was: Use of RCS with pandoc YAML blocks]
@ 2014-08-22  0:33                                                                 ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                                   ` <20140822003345.GA1999-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-08-22  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

By the way, this kind of application suggests it might be
useful to have a type of variable whose contents were
interpreted as raw strings (not as markdown).

The docs currently say that a field name ending with _
is just ignored -- it doesn't add anything to the metadata.

But what we need is something that adds a raw MetaString.

Is there a natural convention for field names whose
contents should be interpreted as plain strings, not
markdown?  What if field names starting with a colon were
treated as strings?

---
foo:  This is *markdown*
:foo: This is just a *plain string* with asterisks.

The template parser currently doesn't allow
$:foo$, but that could be changed.

Alternatively, ALLCAPS could be the signal.

+++ John MacFarlane [Aug 21 14 17:08 ]:
> [...]
>>\IfFileExists{microtype.sty}{\usepackage{microtype}}{}
>>\ifxetex
>> \usepackage[setpagesize=false, % page size defined by xetex
>>             unicode=false, % unicode breaks when used with xetex
>>             xetex]{hyperref}
>>\else
>> \usepackage[unicode=true]{hyperref}
>>\fi
>>\hypersetup{breaklinks=true,
>>           bookmarks=true,
>>           pdfauthor={Pete Phillips},
>>           pdftitle={Test Document},
>>           colorlinks=true,
>>           citecolor=blue,
>>           urlcolor=blue,
>>           linkcolor=magenta,
>>           pdfborder={0 0 0}}
>>\urlstyle{same}  % don't use monospace font for urls
>>\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
>>\setlength{\parskip}{6pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}
>>\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines

* Re: YAML metadata raw fields [was: Use of RCS with pandoc YAML blocks]
@ 2014-08-22  0:57                                                                     ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                                       ` <20140822005703.GA22080-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-08-22  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Another option would be to have some other signal, besides
the name, for a raw string. This would be better in many ways.
E.g.,

---
foo:  markdown
bar:  _ 'plain string'

+++ John MacFarlane [Aug 21 14 17:33 ]:
> [...]
>>>
>>>\title{Test Document}
>>>\author{Pete Phillips}
>>>\date{}
>>>\usepackage{fancyhdr}
>>>\usepackage{lastpage}
>>>\usepackage{rcs}
>>>\newcommand{\noop}[1]{}
>>>true
>>>true
>>>\pagestyle{fancy}
>>>\fancyfoot[R]{Revision:\ \RCSRevision}
>>>\fancyfoot[L]{\RCSDate}
>>>\date{\RCSDate}
>>>
>>>\begin{document}
>>>\maketitle
>>>
>>>\section{test}\label{test}
>>>
>>>test
>>>
>>>\newpage
>>>
>>>\section{more test}\label{more-test}
>>>
>>>test
>>>
>>>\end{document}
>>
>>--

* Re: Use of RCS with pandoc YAML blocks - SOLVED
  2014-08-22  0:33                                                                 ` YAML metadata raw fields [was: Use of RCS with pandoc YAML blocks] John MacFarlane
@ 2014-08-22  7:22                                                                 ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2014-08-22  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Awesome.
I can confirm that this now all works.

Many many thanks for that.

And apologies for being a bit thick about the latex code!

Pete

(and I should also saw, wonderful piece of software)

@ 2014-08-22  8:09                                                                         ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2014-08-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think a leading underscore might be the best choice since YAML parsers
might choke on things like a leading colon. We can't rule out the
possibility that someone might want to parse a YAML file intended as Pandoc
metadats with some other parser.

@ 2015-05-13  8:31                                                                         ` msprevak
       [not found]                                                                           ` <14456064-1273-444b-8f0e-1491036761ed-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: msprevak @ 2015-05-13  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I too would like to have the ability to add raw strings to the metadata.
This would be particularly useful for passing (non-markdown) strings to
external filters. I like the proposed underscore syntax. Is there any
update on this?

All the best,
Mark

@ 2015-05-13 17:01                                                                             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                                               ` <20150513170104.GA38274-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-13 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

My latest thought is that something like the following would be most
useful:

---
header-includes:
  _html:  '<link src="mycss.css">'
  _latex: '\include{myformatting}'
  _*:     'fallback for other formats'

`bar` would then resolve in templates differently depending on the
output format, with `*` as the wildcard.

This makes sense to me, since generally literals are going to vary
from one output format to another.

For passing to a JSON filter, you'd use `_json`.

+++ msprevak [May 13 15 01:31 ]:

@ 2015-05-14 11:21                                                                                 ` msprevak
       [not found]                                                                                   ` <19f5136d-1475-4294-8951-5c9ba7ca15db-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: msprevak @ 2015-05-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 12402 bytes --]

Thanks! I'd be fine with this but I use a different way of doing per writer
settings. I do it with a tool that sits around pandoc called
panzer: https://github.com/msprev/panzer. panzer uses a yaml 'style' file
to set pandoc's metadata plus other things (filters, scripts, etc) on a per
style and per writer
basis: https://github.com/msprev/dot-panzer/blob/master/styles.yaml.

I'd just be happy to have some way of inserting a raw string as the value
of a metadata field.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Mark

@ 2015-05-14 15:33                                                                                     ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                                                       ` <20150514153337.GA47850-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you're using an external tool, there's already a way to create
fields in YAML metadata that pandoc will simply ignore and not try
to parse (the field end must end with _).  The external tool can
extract the contents of this field and do whatever it likes with it.

+++ msprevak [May 14 15 04:21 ]:

@ 2015-05-14 20:00                                                                                         ` msprevak
       [not found]                                                                                           ` <c4ef36b4-fa8d-480f-952e-665fe555557a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: msprevak @ 2015-05-14 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 15051 bytes --]

Thanks --- I knew about that syntax. The purpose of the external tool is to
populate metadata fields on a per writer and per style basis. pandoc then
processes that metadata, including passing it on to filters. This
suggestion would kill these fields, while I want them in the AST, just
without the markdown reader chewing them up them first. Content may include
special character strings (like '--' or '*' or '+'), which I want to keep
as literals in the AST, irrespective of settings of the markdown reader.

@ 2015-05-14 22:13                                                                                 ` Nick Yakimov
       [not found]                                                                                   ` <52bd513c-8b8a-4c12-8724-5e26721952a9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Nick Yakimov @ 2015-05-14 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 12361 bytes --]

Most natural way to specify raw strings would be local YAML tags, e.g.

---
header-includes: !raw 'Raw string here'

Sadly, Data.Yaml doesn't support those (it's possible with Text.Libyaml,
but that's somewhat clunky option, and may be possible in the future with
Data.Yaml.Parser, but not right now)

We could, however, use arbitrary specifications with object syntax, e.g.

---
header-includes:
    raw: 'Raw string here'

@ 2015-05-15  3:50                                                                                     ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                                                       ` <20150515035032.GB48234-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Nick Yakimov [May 14 15 15:13 ]:
>Most natural way to specify raw strings would be local YAML tags, e.g.
>
>---
>header-includes: !raw 'Raw string here'
>
>Sadly, Data.Yaml doesn't support those (it's possible with Text.Libyaml,
>but that's somewhat clunky option, and may be possible in the future with
>Data.Yaml.Parser, but not right now)
>
>We could, however, use arbitrary specifications with object syntax, e.g.
>
>---
>header-includes:
>    raw: 'Raw string here'

This is basically what I suggested.  The only difference is that,
instead of a single 'raw' field, my proposal has separate fields for
each output format ('html', 'latex', etc.) plus an optional wildcard.
I think this is generally better, since you might need different
header includes for different output formats.

@ 2015-05-15  3:53                                                                                             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                                                               ` <20150515035354.GC48234-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-15  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ msprevak [May 14 15 13:00 ]:
>Thanks --- I knew about that syntax. The purpose of the external tool is to
>populate metadata fields on a per writer and per style basis. pandoc then
>processes that metadata, including passing it on to filters. This
>suggestion would kill these fields, while I want them in the AST, just
>without the markdown reader chewing them up them first. Content may include
>special character strings (like '--' or '*' or '+'), which I want to keep
>as literals in the AST, irrespective of settings of the markdown reader.

If you're using filters, then one option would be to use a code span
for your literal text:

    my_field: `eek*ook*`

The filter could then intercept these fields and convert these to
"String" metadata fields.  Or maybe you wouldn't need to convert them,
depending on your purposes.

@ 2015-05-15  3:59                                                                                         ` Nikolay Yakimov
From: Nikolay Yakimov @ 2015-05-15  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

While that is an option, I think that not only header-includes could
benefit from ability to supply raw strings. This should also be possible
with syntax you proposed, now that I think about it, but we’ll probably
have to pass output format to Markdown reader, or match on output format in
multiple places, which seems a little bit convoluted.
​

@ 2015-05-15  8:12                                                                                                 ` msprevak
       [not found]                                                                                                   ` <3941739e-8de2-46d9-9bc0-319c31631e3e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: msprevak @ 2015-05-15  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'd tried that, but code spans in the metadata appear to cause the json
writer to bail. I thought they weren't supported. For example, if I run
`pandoc -t json` on this:

---
foo: `bar`

I get this:

pandoc: Could not parse YAML header: found character that cannot start any
token "source" (line 3, column 6)
[{"unMeta":{}},[]]

Am I doing it wrong? I am using pandoc 1.13.2.1.

@ 2015-05-15  8:20                                                                                                     ` Nikolay Yakimov
       [not found]                                                                                                       ` <CA+hqrpVke6kK6BXCAg1AthTVKkz9igVJd8R9NY8FXn5wexyPJg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Nikolay Yakimov @ 2015-05-15  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try quoting whole string, like so:

---