* Accessibility of Generated Docx
@ 2019-09-12 21:21 Conrad Cunningham
       [not found] ` <677959fb-29b8-4eaa-837f-c53e5ea5ab51-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Conrad Cunningham @ 2019-09-12 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use pandoc to convert Pandoc-flavored Markdown documents to HTML
(primarily), Word docx, PDF (via LaTeX), etc. I am currently using pandoc
2.7.3. Microsoft Word for Mac 16.16.14, and MacTeX 2019 on MacOS 10.14.6
(Mojave).

According to the tests I have run using the WebAIM WAVE tool, the
accessibility of the generated HTML is reasonable. (I need to give some
attention to places in the Markdown input where I use tables and alt text.)

For the generated docx, I am using Word for Mac's builtin accessibility
checker. I found that the generated docx is in compatibility mode. Word for
Mac's accessibility checker cannot process that kind of file. If I load the
file into Word and then save as a normal docx, the checker will run.

Is there a less inconvenient way to get the generated output into the
normal docx mode? I would like to get the final output by running a shell
script on the Markdown input.

The issues I have found so far in my limited tests are warnings about
insufficient color contrasts and sequences of blank characters. Some of
these (e.g., colors in section headers and hyperlinks) seem to be fixable
by using a custom reference document with modified styles. The warnings
associated with code blocks, highlighting, etc., seem more problematic.

* Re: Accessibility of Generated Docx
       [not found] ` <677959fb-29b8-4eaa-837f-c53e5ea5ab51-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-09-12 23:15   ` Devin Prater
From: Devin Prater @ 2019-09-12 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

As a blind user, I find that mostly everything reads well for screen reader users, even headings, and definition lists—at least on Pages for Mac— are read well. If you make a table like this, I believe screen readers well read it a bit better:

| number | day |
|——|——|
| 1 | Sunday |
| 2 | Monday |
| 3 | Wednesday |

Note that I use Org-mode, so Markdown’s table creation make need to look different. The main thing is, give table columns a title, any way you can, and screen readers will try to read the title before the row’s content, like “Number, 1, row 2 column 1. Day, Sunday, Row 2 column 2.” This helps a lot with following tables, because screen readers always read content in a linear fashion.

Also note that I’m a simpleton, using Org to create well marked up documents, and exporting to HTML either using Markdown or Org’s own exporter.

The “compatibility mode” thing in Word is probably because it sees that Word didn’t make the file, so it does compatibility mode to, probably, make its interpretation of the file more relaxed, to accommodate any errors in Pandoc’s form of DOCX.

@ 2019-09-13 17:31   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480k1rwk6r2b.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-09-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conrad Cunningham, pandoc-discuss

We use compatibility mode so that the docx pandoc produces
will be readable by the widest variety of Word versions (even
quite old ones).

This isn't itself an issue with accessibility; it's just an
issue with the Mac's checker I guess, and I don't think we should
modify pandoc just to work around that.

We could change pandoc to avoid compatibility mode, but that
would mean our docxs can't be read by older Word versions.
At some point it may be worth having this conversation.

In principle we could have a flag to generate either
compatibility mode or not, but that adds a lot of complexity
for little gain.

> by using a custom reference document with modified styles. The warnings
> associated with code blocks, highlighting, etc., seem more problematic.

The code coloring is affected by the --highlight-style option. We
provide several styles out of the box, including a monochrome
style which is very high contrast. You can also create and use
your own style. See the docs.

@ 2019-09-13 20:00       ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]         ` <CAFC_yuTPDWN5yxYnSObFq3kiRp+Z=Y3Kvd+67g16qz4D+EgeLA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2019-09-13 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I believe compatibility mode is helpful also when opening docx files in
LibreOffice. At least even quite large files produced by Pandoc open much
faster than some DOCX files people send me.

@ 2019-09-20 18:53           ` Conrad Cunningham
       [not found]             ` <DF338AD1-4D4E-461B-8A66-F30986A9015E-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Conrad Cunningham @ 2019-09-20 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks.

It is useful that Pandoc’s docx writer generates files in compatibility mode and that the generated documents are accessible.

Given my institution’s push to make all public documents accessible, I am looking at convenient (automatable) ways to get my Pandoc-flavored course documents into accessible PDFs and other accessible formats. Unfortunately, mLaTeX-to-PDF support for PDF/UA seems “not ready for prime time”.

@ 2019-09-21 17:54               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m2lfuh358a.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-09-21 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conrad Cunningham, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can try using alternative paths to pdf (--pdf-engine supports
a number of options, some via HTML, and they may do better for
accessibility, I'm not sure).

@ 2019-09-22 10:10                   ` mb21
       [not found]                     ` <b37da1b5-c763-4fc0-9006-d69f2a5a0b64-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2019-09-22 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can try:

pandoc --pdf-engine=context -M pdfa -o output.pdf

see the description of pdfa in
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#variables-for-context

Maybe the pdfa part is not even needed, since the default pandoc context
template includes \setuptagging[state=start]

@ 2019-09-25  3:54                       ` Conrad Cunningham
From: Conrad Cunningham @ 2019-09-25  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss