* Using pandoc-citeproc to convert a .bib file to YAML
@ 2020-06-20  5:05 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <5c7f9e09-215c-03de-7866-3e4c2602a63e-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2020-06-20  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Folks,

I have the following single entry (without the ---) in a BibTeX file
called test.bib

---
@book{mavromatis2010,
title = {{Hypnagogia: The Unique State of Consciousness Between
Wakefulness and Sleep}},
publisher = {Thyrsos Press},
year = {2010},
author = { Andreas Mavromatis},
edition = {3}
}
---

When I run

pandoc-citeproc --bib2yaml test.bib

The command just hangs and I need to Ctrl-C to get back my terminal
prompt. This behaviour does not change when I try:

pandoc-citeproc --bib2yaml test.bib > test.yaml

or

pandoc-citeproc --bib2yaml test.bib test.yaml

Can someone kindly tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it
please?

pandoc-citeproc --version

gives:

pandoc-citeproc 0.17

Thanks.

Chandra

* Re: Using pandoc-citeproc to convert a .bib file to YAML
       [not found] ` <5c7f9e09-215c-03de-7866-3e4c2602a63e-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-06-20 22:13   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <94f8bc71-58b9-dd95-54e8-88566a1f67b0-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2020-06-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello Chandra, the command runs for me (below). I wonder if you have some hidden characters in your text file that I'm not picking up in my copy/paste? Are your other libraries the same version?

```
╭─reagle@hom ~
╰─➤  pandoc-citeproc --bib2yaml test.bib
---
references:
- id: mavromatis2010
  type: book
  author:
  - family: Mavromatis
    given: Andreas
  issued:
  - year: 2010
  title: '<span class="nocase">Hypnagogia: The Unique State of Consciousness Between
    Wakefulness and Sleep</span>'
  publisher: Thyrsos Press
  edition: '3'
╭─reagle@hom ~
╰─➤  pandoc-citeproc --version
pandoc-citeproc 0.17
╭─reagle@hom ~
╰─➤  pandoc --version
pandoc 2.9.2.1
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.20, texmath 0.12.0.1, skylighting 0.8.3.2

```

@ 2020-06-21 13:32       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]         ` <53b88824-ed24-cf73-1f3a-4e59adc18280-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2020-06-21 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for your reply, Joseph.

There are no extraneous characters when the file is viewed in vim.

My setup is:

pandoc-citeproc 0.17
pandoc 2.9.2.1
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.20, texmath 0.12.0.2, skylighting 0.8.4

I run KDE-flavoured Manjaro Linux 20.0.3 named Lysia. There was recent
upgrade that broke some keyboard maps (including one of mine) and I will
test again after that is fixed.

Meanwhile, I am still perplexed what the cause of this "analog" failure
could be as pandoc and other parts of the toolchain work, as do so many
other applications. Perhaps, it is, as you have suggested, a flaky library.

Chandra

@ 2020-06-21 19:45           ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]             ` <b7445df4-7b86-e257-6300-df325b47f5bf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2020-06-21 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

A further search of the web yielded this link that may be relevant:
---
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65981
Dated: 25 March 2020
With the recent update of the package to version 0.17-53 it stopped
working for me, hanging in an infinite loop without any output."
---
The above description is closest to what I am experiencing now, and I
have installed from the Manjaro community repository. My package version
is 0.17-126 built on Sat 06 Jun 2020

Where would I report this? To the Arch/Manjaro packaging folks or here
to those who maintain pandoc-citeproc?

Thanks.

Chandra

@ 2020-06-23 18:29               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2020-06-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

To close this issue, here is a workaround until the Arch/Manjaro package
is fixed:

1. Go to the Pandoc downloads page and download the file
pandoc-2.9.2.1-linux-amd64.tar.gz.
2. Extract the file pandoc-2.9.2.1/bin/pandoc-citeproc to a user directory.
3. Run path-to-downloaded/pandoc-citeproc --bib2yaml test.bib > test.yaml.

Chandra