* Raw content not working in header-includes for ODT
@ 2021-06-30 18:38 James Madgwick
       [not found] ` <b76a0256-4a21-468f-a04e-d7e7b6676d56n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: James Madgwick @ 2021-06-30 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This seemed to be a bug, but after a taking a closer look it seems to
something which is not supported, although I'm not sure why that is. So I
thought I'd post here to explain.

When the source file is ODT, raw content (LaTex commands) in
"header-includes" inside a YAML I'm passing in with '--metadata-file' is
interpreted as plain text, causing invalid LaTex to be generated and placed
in the header. This is ultimately because "The extension raw_attribute is
not supported for odt".

This is the YAML:

title: Example Title
header-includes:
- |
  ```{=latex}
  \usepackage{tocloft}
  \setlength{\cftsubsecnumwidth}{2.8em}
  \setlength{\cftsubsubsecnumwidth}{3.6em}
  ```

When trying to create a PDF with "pandoc Untitled.odt --metadata-file
test.yml -o test.pdf
" an error is given by pdftex. This is because the Tex added to the header
is not what I was expecting (based on previously using Pandoc with markdown
as input).

This is the invalid (for pre-document) LaTex added to the header:

\texttt{\{=latex\}\ \textbackslash{}usepackage\{tocloft\}\
\textbackslash{}setlength\{\textbackslash{}cftsubsecnumwidth\}\{2.8em\}\
\textbackslash{}setlength\{\textbackslash{}cftsubsubsecnumwidth\}\{3.6em\}}

The Manual says to use the raw_attribute extension to prevent the
'header-includes' being interpreted as markdown. This is enabled by default
for markdown input, so I thought maybe it is just not enabled for ODT.
Trying "pandoc Untitled.odt --from odt+raw_attribute --metadata-file
test.yml -o test.pdf" gives me the error "The extension raw_attribute is
not supported for odt". At this point I knew I hadn't found a bug.

The Manual doesn't say about which formats are supported as input files
when trying to add raw content with 'header-includes' and in effect when
using 'raw-attribute'. It might be useful if this was added to prevent
anyone else trying to use 'header-includes' when the source file is an ODT
document.

I was able to get the result I was originally looking for by placing the
LaTex commands in a separate file and using the '--include-in-header'
option. However, I'm not sure why ODT wouldn't support raw_attribute for
just the YAML metadata. I suppose because it's not supported for the input
document (ODT) itself and so isn't available when parsing the YAML either.
I admit this is an unusual case, as normally '--metadata-file' wouldn't be
used with ODT input.

Thanks,
James