* Footnote with citations and multiple paragraphs using pandoc-citeproc
@ 2014-09-26 18:50 hgv
       [not found] ` <cf5b21a4-0495-47bc-872f-091626a4ef0a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: hgv @ 2014-09-26 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all,

Is there any way to use pandoc-citeproc to process citations (specifically
for chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl for md to tex) and have
multiparagraph footnotes with citations in them? My understanding is that,
as pandoc-citeproc works to automatically make footnotes when called for by
the csl, all footnotes that have citations in them should be formatted only
with brackets, not in full md foonotes. But only an md footnote (not an
line one) can handle multiple paragraphs. Am I missing something? Sticking
pandoc citations in md footnotes (with or without brackets) produces
undesired results. Thanks!

hgv

* Re: Footnote with citations and multiple paragraphs using pandoc-citeproc
       [not found] ` <cf5b21a4-0495-47bc-872f-091626a4ef0a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-09-26 20:09   ` Andrew Dunning
       [not found]     ` <3FDE0D22-3F5C-4471-9451-CD0FA4E96531-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2014-09-26 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've run into the same problem, and it seems that it's not currently possible; indeed, one cannot even have multi-sentence citations using pandoc-citeproc. See <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-citeproc/issues/69>.

@ 2014-09-26 21:03       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20140926210311.GB20437-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-09-26 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There's also some relevant discussion at
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-citeproc/issues/82>.
It's an issue that comes up only for footnote styles:  how
to deal with citations that are already in footnotes?
Perhaps pandoc-citeproc can be improved here, but it's
not entirely clear what to do.

+++ Andrew Dunning [Sep 26 14 16:09 ]:

@ 2014-09-26 21:43           ` hgv
       [not found]             ` <246e0391-eb53-40d3-bb59-dc1c97d94ebb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: hgv @ 2014-09-26 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK yes—it seems like this difficulty has been bugging people all summer (my
struggles began
here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandoc-discuss/D-fD7phDB4w).
One intermediate step would be to clarify the Read Me, so people stop
trying to get pandoc-citeproc to work with citations in md footnotes.

A larger solution might be in giving up the ability of pandoc-citeproc to
produce either inline citations or note citations. I understand how useful
this is, but if it doesn't actually work for one side of it (notes), I
don't see the value. Of course, I only work with Chicago note-bibliography,
which is where my bias comes from. But it seems to be designed primarily
for those who work with Chicago author-date (and other inline styles), not
really those who use both extensively. But as I'm sure this would entail a
fair amount of work to just get back to where it is now, I understand the
downsides.

Of course, I remain deeply grateful for pandoc overall, regardless of this
issue.

On a related note, perhaps there are other humanists and fellow travelers
on this board who use note citation styles (primarily Chicago
note-bibliography, I'd assume) successfully with pandoc-citeproc—long
footnotes and all? Any tips or workarounds?

@ 2014-09-27  4:19               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20140927041953.GA38502-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-09-27  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ hgv [Sep 26 14 14:43 ]:
>A larger solution might be in giving up the ability of pandoc-citeproc to
>produce either inline citations or note citations. I understand how useful
>this is, but if it doesn't actually work for one side of it (notes), I
>don't see the value. Of course, I only work with Chicago note-bibliography,
>which is where my bias comes from. But it seems to be designed primarily
>for those who work with Chicago author-date (and other inline styles), not
>really those who use both extensively. But as I'm sure this would entail a
>fair amount of work to just get back to where it is now, I understand the
>downsides.

The question is this:  in footnote styles, how SHOULD a citation that
appears inside a note be formatted?  Clearly not as a footnote, but
unfortunately beyond that the style won't give us guidance.  Should
it be a separate sentence?  In parentheses?  In brackets?  These are
all stylistic variations, but the style can't help us here because
it's a note style.

If this question could be answered, perhaps progress could be made.

* Re: Footnote with citations and multiple paragraphs using pandoc-citeproc
       [not found]                 ` <20140927041953.GA38502-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-09-27  8:47                   ` nickbart1980-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
                                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: nickbart1980-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2014-09-27  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> A larger solution might be in giving up the ability of pandoc-citeproc to
produce either inline citations or note citations.

I, for one, strongly oppose this idea.

As to some possible workaround for "multiparagraph footnotes": If newlines
instead of paragraph breaks are acceptable, then inserting
space-space-return in the middle of a citation a the spot when you want a
linebreak to appear seems to do the trick, e.g.,

````
Foo [see @item1.
See also @item2].
````

(A backslash followed by a return did not work however when I tried it.)

@ 2014-09-30 12:22                   ` hgv
From: hgv @ 2014-09-30 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am very familiar with CMOS but not with how it is implemented via CSLs,
so forgive the technical ignorance of my answer. All of this applies to
Chicago full note only.

I think CMOS is pretty clear about your question: they recommend no
formatting outside of the citation text that comes from the bibliography
file in pandoc-citeproc, but it's flexible and up to the
author/publication: "A footnote or an endnote generally lists the author,
title, and facts of publication, in that order. . . . The notes allow space
for unusual types of sources as well as for commentary on the sources
cited, making this system extremely flexible."
See http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch14/ch14_sec002.html, http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch14/ch14_sec014.html,
http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch14/ch14_sec015.html, and
http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch14/ch14_sec018.html.

Citation texts can come in three forms: full form (first citation), short
form (last name, short title only), and "ibid." What follows the citation
text can be punctuation (most often . , ; : but possibly also ? ! ] or
otherwise—but this is left up to the author) or a space. As you know, in
the short form of citation text, when the title is styled in quotation
marks (e.g., journal article), a following comma needs to change places
with the end quotation mark. All other following punctuation and spaces
just remain as is (except with ibid. and a period; see next sentence). As
ibid. comes with its own period, an following period needs to be suppressed
(all other following punctuation remains;
see http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch06/ch06_sec117.html). The only
variable on the front end is with "ibid." and whether to cap or not cap the
letter *i*—this is determined by whether the citation is starting a new
sentence. I believe I saw elsewhere John writing that determining a
sentence ending period and therefore a sentence beginning citation is
difficult, so this would be a sticking point.

So, as far as I can tell, if pandoc-citeproc expands a pandoc citation in a
md note to the appropriate citation text (full, short, or ibid), with the
above few conditions (and of course I may have missed some—but again, it's
supposed to be flexible for the author/publication, if they want pp. or
not, for instance), that would work. Maybe this is so ignorant of the
challenges as to be offensive—but it seems like pandoc-citeproc is most of
the way there. From my end, it seems like perhaps there would still be a
use for the bracket elements of pandoc citations in order to indicate, for
instance, where citations are within notes or to help facilitate making the
above conditional changes based on non-citation sentence elements.

Another reason I would advocate for splitting the functions of
pandoc-citeproc is the nice ability of md to stand alone as easily readable
plain text. It would be great for footnotes to actually be md notes (even
with pandoc-style citations). Perhaps this isn't so important for others.

And thanks, nickb, the line break works in my limited testing!

@ 2014-09-30 20:54                   ` Jesse Rosenthal
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2014-09-30 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:
> The question is this:  in footnote styles, how SHOULD a citation that
> appears inside a note be formatted?  Clearly not as a footnote, but
> unfortunately beyond that the style won't give us guidance.  Should
> it be a separate sentence?  In parentheses?  In brackets?  These are
> all stylistic variations, but the style can't help us here because
> it's a note style.

Flipping through books from a number of presses with footnote styles on
my desk, the following seems to be the rule:

 1. A footnote containing only the citation should be identical to an
    @-citation. I.e, in a footnote style:

        foo.[^1]

        [^1]: [@dickens:dorrit, p. 15]

        ==

        foo [@dickens:dorrit, p. 15]

 2. A footnote containing the citation mixed in with other text should
    be separated from that text by a period. So

        foo. [^1]

        [^1]: "Blah blah blah" [@dickens:dorrit, p. 15].

        ==

        foo. [^1]

        [^1]: "Blah blah blah." Charles Dickens, _Little Dorrit_,
              ed. Stephen Wall and Helen Small (New York: Penguin,
              1998), 15.

    (or whatever) depending on the style.

  3. Anything else should be integrated into the text without
     being set off by a period.

I would propose the following heuristic for distinguishing between (2) and
(3): if the citation is followed by a period, it should be set off by a
period, as in (2); if it isn't punctuation is left to the author.

* Re: Footnote with citations and multiple paragraphs using pandoc-citeproc
       [not found]                 ` <20140927041953.GA38502-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
                                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-01  0:14                   ` Bruce D'Arcus
       [not found]                     ` <945be504-882b-46e8-b653-e373d579008b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2014-10-01  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:20:07 AM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> +++ hgv [Sep 26 14 14:43 ]:
> >A larger solution might be in giving up the ability of pandoc-citeproc to
> >produce either inline citations or note citations. I understand how
> useful
> >this is, but if it doesn't actually work for one side of it (notes), I
> >don't see the value. Of course, I only work with Chicago
> note-bibliography,
> >which is where my bias comes from. But it seems to be designed primarily
> >for those who work with Chicago author-date (and other inline styles),
> not
> >really those who use both extensively. But as I'm sure this would entail
> >fair amount of work to just get back to where it is now, I understand the
> >downsides.
>
> The question is this:  in footnote styles, how SHOULD a citation that
> appears inside a note be formatted?  Clearly not as a footnote, but
> unfortunately beyond that the style won't give us guidance.  Should
> it be a separate sentence?  In parentheses?  In brackets?  These are
> all stylistic variations, but the style can't help us here because
> it's a note style.
>
> If this question could be answered, perhaps progress could be made.

John (or anyone else interested in this issue) - have you checked how
citeproc-js (Zotero and such) deals with this?

This has been a known issue since the foundation of CSL (I distinctly
remember talking in terms of a distinction between "footnoted citations"
and "citations in footnotes" a long time ago), so I have to believe it's
been solved, even if I don't remember how.

@ 2014-10-01  1:55                       ` Frank Bennett
       [not found]                         ` <d62aab34-b6d9-4aa9-a961-0534e601987b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Frank Bennett @ 2014-10-01  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This has been a problem for the note styles forever. MLZ is starting to
attract users in the legal domain, and I have had occasional reports of
exactly this problem. Several users have suggested just removing terminal
punctuation from the style altogether, but I've been reluctant to go the
"big hammer" route in that way.

I finally moved on a solution that involves changes in MLZ and citeproc-js
alone, without changes in the styles themselves. In a given document, the
user is given the option of suppressing terminal punctuation on all
citations. If selected, the option takes effect for all citation clusters
(regardless of context), without possibility of override, but affects only
note styles (class="note"). If the global option is *not* selected,
terminal punctuation can be suppressed on individual citations. This seems
to be satisfactory (the MLZ community is small, but there are active users
in the pool and I haven't had any complaints).

The behaviour is MLZ is driven by manual user adjustments to the document
and citation settings; it's not automagic because citeproc-js (running in
MLZ at least) doesn't have access to enough of the document context. I
suspect that it would hard to automate completely, though.

Frank Bennett

@ 2014-10-01 20:11                           ` Bruce D'Arcus
       [not found]                             ` <fe3c108a-8702-42f7-9309-fe3386f40b7b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2014-10-01 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So this seems a key distinction; that the code "doesn't have access to
enough of the document context."

That shouldn't be the case with pandoc (or with the XSLT I originally
started with), since it's a batch process. I'd guess pandoc would be able
to distinguish the two types of citations, and so it'd just be a question
of how to format them differently. Though I don't have time to think about
this deeply ATM, something like Jesse's heuristic may work.

@ 2015-02-01 20:44                               ` hgv
From: hgv @ 2015-02-01 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw