* HTML Writer / Support CSL Recommendation for Linked Titles
@ 2021-08-11 15:55 Benjamin Bray
       [not found] ` <1370960d-9f5f-4da0-8078-741ac861c3fbn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Benjamin Bray @ 2021-08-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The CSL specification has a recommendation for automatically linking titles
<https://github.com/citation-style-language/documentation/blob/master/specification.rst#appendix-vi-links>
when the citation style does not explicitly render the URL.  See also this discussion
on GitHub
<https://github.com/citation-style-language/documentation/issues/76>.

How hard would it be for Pandoc to support this recommendation, at least in
the HTML writer?  Would this be a desirable change?

I poked a round a bit in the source (for instance here
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/407de98b5e3971c84c7e89de5f2a9d317b4d4557/src/Text/Pandoc/Writers/HTML.hs#L813-L853>),
but it wasn't clear to me where I might hook in to add this functionality.
Pointers to the correct location would be appreciated!  I might be able to
put together a PR.

My use case is Hakyll, where I want to use Pandoc to generate a
bibliography, but I want a hyperlinked title instead of raw URLs.  I could
hack something together to modify the HTML manually, but since there's an
official CSL recommendation, it might be a nice feature to have in Pandoc
itself.

Thanks,
Ben

_____

For reference, here is a snippet of the mentioned spec:

If the bibliography entry for an item does not render any of the above
identifiers (doi,pmcid,pmid,url), then set the anchor of the link as the
item title. If title is not rendered, then set the anchor of the link as
the full bibliography entry for the item. Set the target of the link as one
of the following, in order of priority:

   1. doi: prepend with "https://doi.org/"
   2. pmcid: prepend with "https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/"
   3. pmid: prepend with "https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/"
   4. url: output as is

If the item data does not include any of the above identifiers, do not
include a link.

* Re: HTML Writer / Support CSL Recommendation for Linked Titles
       [not found] ` <1370960d-9f5f-4da0-8078-741ac861c3fbn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-08-11 16:15   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2v94c6jqv.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-08-11 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Bray, pandoc-discuss

I didn't know about this CSL advice.  Why don't you submit an issue
on jgm/citeproc and we can look into how it might be done?
That way I won't lose track.

@ 2021-08-11 16:39       ` Benjamin Bray
From: Benjamin Bray @ 2021-08-11 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss