Thanks, the script to strip the underlines is exactly what I needed. As for the spaces in the bolds/italics, I'll add an issue for that. Obviously, this is not pandoc's fault but if you have a workaround that can be ported to the RTF reader at some point, that would be super. In the meantime, I guess I'll investigate doing the job myself in Lua. Even if it takes me a couple of days to figure out it'll be faster than processing every file manually! Kris On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 2:28:20 PM UTC-4 John MacFarlane wrote: > > The issue with bold is probably because the RTF file includes > some spaces inside the boldface emphasis. That is depressingly > common in word processing documents, and we have code in the docx > reader, if I recall, that handles it by converting > > helloSPACE > to > helloSPACE > > We could port this over to the RTF reader, I think -- can you > put up an issue on the tracker so we don't forget? > > The other issue can be handled using a simple Lua filter. > Save it as ununderline.lua and use -L ununderline.lua on > the command line: > > function Underline(el) > return el.content > end > > You could probably handle the spacing issue with a more complex > Lua filter, as well. > > Kris Wilk writes: > > > Sorry if anyone gets this twice, had to correct my formatting... > > > > I'm trying to use pandoc (for the first time) to convert some RTF files > to > > markdown. My goal is to extract the text with ***bold*** and **italics** > > preserved and no other formatting. > > > > Simply converting with "pandoc in.rtf -o out.md" produces a markdown > file > > that's not quite what I need. For instance, here's a line from the > output: > > > > **[Scientific Name]{.underline}: ***Aplysia parvula *Morch, 1863 > > > > FIRST and foremost, pandoc tries to preserve the underlined text, which > I > > don't want. Can this be disabled? I've tried the "bracketed_spans" and " > > native_spans" extensions but this still processes the underlines as: > > > > **Scientific Name: ***Aplysia parvula *Morch, 1863 > > > > SECOND, at least when I view this in VSCode's markdown preview, the bold > > and emphasis are not presented correctly, I guess because they touch > each > > other or have spaces (or both?)? It displays correctly if it's: > > > > **Scientific Name:** *Aplysia parvula* Morch, 1863 > > > > I realize that the text in the RTF might have the bold/italic tagged > > weirdly but is there a way to deal with this or am I just stuck? I have > > about 500 such files to process, so I'm looking for automated methods. > > > > Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/aecd40a2-09db-4e1b-96ad-752973375e0cn%40googlegroups.com > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/bf4044b0-6746-4720-942f-53303a5cb296n%40googlegroups.com.